JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Food Shows...

On 8/16/2017 at 3:57 AM, LeslieDean said:

Pioneer Woman's The Merchantile

https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/

Best Recipes From Ree Drummond - The Pioneer Woman

How do you make the best mac and cheese?

There are a few ingredients that make this the best macaroni and cheese ever. Adding an egg to mac and cheese makes the sauce smooth, velvety, and heavenly rich

Thanks, Sister Leslie for that recommendation. Always love Mac and cheese

5 Years Later

On 8/15/2017 at 5:13 PM, Qapla said:

I have never met Ree so I have no personal opinion about her (I do not really care for her) but I will agree that her show can take some getting used to. That said, her cooking sure looks and sounds good.

I will have to say that after several years of watching - we actually enjoy watching The Pioneer Woman. She seems to be quite a good cook and her food is simple enough for the average person to make and enjoy.

We have several of her "inspired" cookware and they seem well made and work quite good.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 4 weeks later...

I do like watching cooking shows, especially seeing the various cuisines around the world. But as for the competitive shows, where contestants are pitted against another (other than the original Iron-Chef where they are chefs, not wanna-be's), they are so out of touch with reality with what they do in a real kitchen.

My step-daughter worked as a al-a carte chef, and I too have worked in commercial kitchens for some time, and the pressure to prepare and cook a meal in a ridiculous amount of short time is prosperous, as any properly run kitchen usually has everything prepped before you started cooking. If the contestants who haven't experienced working in a proper kitchen struggle to cook just one dish in an hour or so, try cooking about 100+ al-a carte dishes in a couple of hours! And I am not referring to just bain-marie plonk on your plate meals either, but preparing meals to suit the various customers tastes and preferences. You normally spend more time in the preparation of the food then what you actually do in cooking it. That is why we don't watch these style of shows, they are just too stupid. And usually, there is some sob story of why some contestants win eventually the competition, whereas those who are truly talented never do win it (ie Australian MasterChef Season 1), as the show is about ratings and the bullmuck they do to get the audience gasping and talking.

Whereas I find the original Japanese Iron Chef is a different case, even though they are under the pressure, the competing  chef's still have two assistants helping them under their direction (as they would in a normal kitchen), but the challenge for the chef is to make meals with a particular ingredient at short notice that must be the highlight dishes. That takes really skill and knowing your ingredients intimately to know how you can cook your dishes.

If you think Gordon Ramsey has a potty mouth, he is mild compared to some of the chef's that my stepdaughter has worked with. Some of them even are physically threatening with kitchen utensils. It is truly does get hot in the kitchen, and you cannot stand the heat, it's best not to be in there.

My mom is one of those people who always has the TV on, just as background noise.

The cooking channel is pretty much the only thing left on television that isn't... questionable; so it's usually where she settles. makes my dad pull his hair out, since she never actually cooks anything she sees on any of these shows.

Though I will admit, I have a love of Masterchef. The AU one anyway. I haven't seen the American version.

I pretty much love cooking so I will watch cooking shows for that reason.  It inspires me.  I live in what is classified a “foodie” area so cooking good healthy and tasty food is high on the agenda.  I try where possible to make everything from scratch so when I watch those shows it gives me good ideas.  I also follow on IG recipe_tin. She has great recipes that are quick and easy.  I had lots of recipe books but I culled them recently and just kept around 20.  Now its Google.  Though I find myself still referring to Edmonds Cookbook, a book I was brought up on in NZ.  Mum used it for cakes, biscuits and puddings.  I also have a nice collection of Womens Weekly Cookbooks (Australia) which I use often as well.  All in all I basically love eating. 🤗

• 4 weeks later...