JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

U.N. Demands Vatican to Reveal Confidential Sex Abuse Cover Ups

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3714 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

It does look interesting. I wonder what authority or options this committee has when they don't comply?

" The Vatican, which is a signatory to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, has until January to compile the information for a meeting of the committee at which its officials will be questioned.

Separately yesterday, Pope Francis was named 'Man of the Year' by the Italian edition of 'Vanity Fair', with a message of support from Elton John.

The latest edition of the magazine said the Argentinian pontiff, elected in March, had earned the accolade for his words and deeds during his first 100 days in office.

The front cover of the magazine, to be published today, shows 76-year-old Francis, wearing plain white robes and a white skull cap, waving at a crowd."

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

UN tells Vatican to hand over details of child sex abuse cases

A United Nations committee has demanded that the Vatican reveal potentially explosive details about the systematic cover-up of child sex abuse by Catholic clergy.

Pope Francis, who has been called on by campaigners to make tackling the issue of sexually abusive priests an urgent priority of his papacy

This was an interesting quote from the above mentioned BBC article.I wondered what power the UN had in this situation ,they do have some legal power.

The article also said the Vatican can refuse the UN's request.Wonder how the UN would respond to such a refusal.

Be interesting to see.

(Quote BCC news)

The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child is a legally-binding instrument which, once signed by member states, commits them to protecting and nurturing the most vulnerable in society.

Edited by Peace

YEAH!!!!   Closer and closer to the end of this ungodly destructive world of wicked humans.  Its going to be really something when Jehoavh puts it into their minds to wipe them and the rest of these phony baloney religions.   Its going to be magnificant when Jehovah protects all of us during the Great Tribulation!   You think am going to be sad over their demise?  Ezekiel 9:5 & 6; Ezekiel 6:8 & 9

Edited by allabord4jah

I do think if the détails were really made public we could have a very strong public reaction against them and all religion.  Prophecy is moving forward at a cracking pace at the moment. 

The second part of the article made me laugh out loud

"Separately yesterday, Pope Francis was named 'Man of the Year' by the Italian edition of 'Vanity Fair', with a message of support from Elton John. The latest edition of the magazine said the Argentinian pontiff, elected in March, had earned the accolade for his words and deeds during his first 100 days in office. The front cover of the magazine, to be published today, shows 76-year-old Francis, wearing plain white robes and a white skull cap, waving at a crowd."

100 days of waving to the crowd could get you endorsed by .... ELTON JOHN a man known for his moral excellence and spiritual judgement

*rolls eyes*

Love the article we are presenting " can you trust Religion " Thank you Jehovah for this article! Had good success in service today with it!

Is. 41:10 " I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness. "

i have been following this for about a week, but not any real legitimate sources that i can find, except the bbc link.  no info on the organizations website either.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23251503

http://misebogland.wordpress.com/2013/07/16/un-presses-vatican-for-details-on-child-abuse-scandals/

http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/crc/  un committe

• 2 weeks later...

they want answers by Nov 1 and they are supposed to meet over it in jan. i read that vatican is not likely to respond and they "risk sanctions or even losing their coveted place as an observer-state on the commission." "The Vatican did not respond when asked specifically for a comment on the U.N.'s report, but Massimo DeGregori, a priest with the Holy See’s diplomatic corps in Geneva, told Religion News Service that the U.N. is being manipulated by enemies of the church. “While we don’t deny the gravity (of child sex abuse), someone is trying to take advantage of the U.N. committee procedure,” he said."

"The Vatican is expected to send representatives to testify before the U.N. panel in January 2014. “These high-ranking church officials should answer for their wrongdoing,” says Barbara Dorris of SNAP (Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests)"

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/07/11/pope-expands-sex-abuse-laws-in-response-to-u-n-criticisms.html

i cant wait to see what happens January 2014. 1914 - 2014 = 100 years. im not making a prediction, i just think that could be cool timing!

vatican abuse.doc

vatican abuse.doc

they want answers by Nov 1 and they are supposed to meet over it in jan. i read that vatican is not likely to respond and they "risk sanctions or even losing their coveted place as an observer-state on the commission." "The Vatican did not respond when asked specifically for a comment on the U.N.'s report, but Massimo DeGregori, a priest with the Holy See’s diplomatic corps in Geneva, told Religion News Service that the U.N. is being manipulated by enemies of the church. “While we don’t deny the gravity (of child sex abuse), someone is trying to take advantage of the U.N. committee procedure,” he said."

"The Vatican is expected to send representatives to testify before the U.N. panel in January 2014. “These high-ranking church officials should answer for their wrongdoing,” says Barbara Dorris of SNAP (Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests)"

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/07/11/pope-expands-sex-abuse-laws-in-response-to-u-n-criticisms.html

i cant wait to see what happens January 2014. 1914 - 2014 = 100 years. im not making a prediction, i just think that could be cool timing!

This would a perfect timing because by then I will be 50 and feell like a 250. :upsidedown:  :wheelchair:  :sick:

• 3 months later...

It will take more than a friendly note from the UN to open that can of worms, if the UN want full disclossure from the Vatican they'll need an army and nuclear missiles and their figure on the trigger.  The Catholic Church hasn't survived thousands of years by doing what governments want. 

No amount of diplomacy is going to get the Vatican to open it's doors.  The Pope might say "We'll do all we can" in public but in private there's no doubt that he's looking the UN right in the face and saying "Make me!"

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like they went a different route than to compile information to give to the UN (like that was even going to happen :nope: )

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/pope-forms-team-of-experts-to-tackle-child-sex-abuse-in-catholic-church/article15786011/

Pope forms ‘team of experts’ to tackle child sex abuse in Catholic Church

The commission will be able to advise the Holy Father about the protection of children and pastoral care of victims of abuse,” the archbishop of Boston, Cardinal Sean Patrick O’Malley, told reporters in Vatican City.

The precise mission and make-up of the committee were not made clear, nor how it would respond to one of the most common criticisms of the church: that bishops who shielded pedophile priests have not been held to account.

The Vatican was criticized earlier this week for refusing to share details of its internal investigations into abuse cases with a United Nations panel.

note: I am sure there are several priest and bishops who would LOVE to be part of this "team of experts" - fox -> meet the hen house   :wave:

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....