JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Post a picture... Any picture

Our last trip to Olympia in 2019 before my dad passed away. We stopped at Tumwater Falls Park almost every trip to the Olympia area as it was a good place to think and forget about life for a few moments. Debbie looking at the Deschutes River and the foot bridge that crosses the last falls. I have not been back since, sadly home doesn't feel like home anymore.

IMG_4667 debbie enjoying the view at TFP.jpg

"Laughter cannot mask a heavy heart. When the laughter ends, the grief remains."-Proverbs 14:13 Living Bible Translation

Mount Hood from Scappoose, Oregon. This is the  Scappoose Bay which is used for kayaking. If you don't have a kayak you can rent one here. You can also rent a canoe or a stand up pedal board. For those who don't want to get on the water there is nice walking trail around the area.

IMG_2395 MT Hood from Scappose Kyaak area.jpg

"Laughter cannot mask a heavy heart. When the laughter ends, the grief remains."-Proverbs 14:13 Living Bible Translation

A tale of two skies at the same time along the Columbia River from June. Looking east you get a beautiful rainbow, while looking west you get an amazing sunset! 

DSC_0793 rainbow big ship.jpg

DSC_0780 Rainbow.jpg

DSC_0786 sunset sky.jpg

Living about 100 feet or for our metric friends about 31 meters from the Columbia River that is a natural border between Oregon (my side) and Washington I enjoy watching the various ships that go by. 

We get a variety including military ships that go to Portland, Oregon for repair (for example the Navy Hospital ship Mercy is being repaired) mostly freighters, vehicle carriers and larger container ships, some over a 1,000 feet long (304 meters). I use a website called Marine Traffic (dot com). This is a snapshot from that page today. There can be anywhere between 50-60 thousand ships out there! My favorite vessel is the tug. 

Screenshot 2024-07-22 103312 Marine treffic CROPPED.jpg

IMG_0800 Rainier ship.jpg

IMG_0303 willamette tug.jpg

I saw these at Grocery Outlet this morning for 50 cents, other stores such as Target sell them for $4.99. I looked at the ingredients nothing really bad. No high fructose corn syrup either. I liked the name too, similar to Pop Tarts.

IMG_20240727_085123589.jpg

2 minutes ago, DancesWithWife said:

I saw these at Grocery Outlet this morning for 50 cents, other stores such as Target sell them for $4.99. I looked at the ingredients nothing really bad. No high fructose corn syrup either. I liked the name too, similar to Pop Tarts.

IMG_20240727_085123589.jpg

Kinda cool, i looked up the name of the company seems to br nice peoplr with a nice cause. I do hate you can only find their stuff at target though. But they akso have a whole slew of different items

https://ghettogastro.com/pages/about

We enjoyed about 30 minutes of a in the park concert in our little town of Rainier, Oregon tonight. We live next to the park and usually take a brief walk each night if we can. We caught the very talented Michelle Lambert performing. She does a little bit of everything and is quite good! I still get tired from the effects of my cancer.

DSC_0798 michelle lambert.jpg

DSC_0797 michelle lambert.jpg

DSC_0796 michelle.jpg

DSC_0718 Michelle violin.jpg

DSC_0715 michelle violin.jpg

DSC_0711 michelle.jpg

DSC_0704 michelle.jpg

Edited by DancesWithWife

Forgot to add the photos, brain freeze!

• 3 weeks later...

Most of us take photos without really appreciating the history of photography. Today is a day in history from 1839 when French artist and photographer Louis-Jacques-Mandé Daguerre, recognized for his invention of the eponymous daguerreotype process of photography. This is a model of the camera that he invented in 1838. He  is credited with creating the first complete photographic process, the daguerreotype.

This 3D 3D illustration of a Daguerreotype Camera, invented in 1839 by the French Genius Louis-Jacques-Mandé Daguerre; with wooden body, metal components, lens, crystals and capable of capturing images.- courtesy of Adobe Stock.

Daguerre introduced the daguerreotype process to the public in 1839. Although Daguerre was primarily interested in making photography accessible to the general public, he likely initially focused on photographing still objects because it was difficult to photograph people due to the length of time they would need to sit still. 

Louis camera.jpg

12 minutes ago, dljbsp said:

ON OUR WAY!!! I hope you made a lot!!

I made 3 dozen. I am donating some to the senior citizen center next door where we live.

Looking at that picture - I will have to say, I have never cooked cookies on the stovetop ... we use the oven :lol1: 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 minute ago, Qapla said:

Looking at that picture - I will have to say, I have never cooked cookies on the stovetop ... we use the oven

That's a wire cooling rack, essential for proper cookies once they come out of the oven.