JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Help! Ink mark on my new bible cover.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3750 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I am developing patience, but it isn't easy. I keep remembering it isn't just me, it's most of the UK who were left out, and still are. :(

You are not being left out.  You will get a bible. Being left out means you won't get one ever, that is not the case.

I know this is hard on you, and I am sorry you don't have the new bible yet, but you will get one.  The brothers are working like crazy to get the bibles out, you will have one.

Christoper..

Well done .. Good and faithful slave... A man who knows his limitations ... Is a treasure...

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

The same happened to me yesterday at SA day I could hardly concentrate so mad at myself :(

Oh my lands, Miss Mouse, I felt the same way!!! I love everything about this new Bible but with the light color, it makes me wonder how many ink marks we have on our black ones??? And I'm getting to be OBSESSED about it getting bent or pages getting wrinkled or some other horrific thing, in my book bags! Especially my service bag - there's so much STUFF in there! I'm thinking of getting a metal container to transport it in... :blink:

Oh Jehovah - save me from myself!!!!

Edited by Willow

The Bee

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all your comments & suggestions.  Since I started this got two more spots on it.  I did not know about the clear plastic covers but will definitely look into it.  Other than the covers our bibles will soon be looking like our older ones if we keep using them.  After all, that is what they are for.  But we want to keep them looking like new forever.  Take out your previous bible and look at it and then you won't feel so bad.  

• 3 weeks later...

Any suggestions for removing ink pen mark on my new bible cover?  Careless me!  I tried rubbing alcohol which lightened it some, but left the cover with a dull spot. 

I've noticed lots of our new grey Bibles around, and they've got ink stains on them! :o So if you've got a stain on yours, you're not alone.

A couple of years ago, I ordered a few leather covers from Ministry Ideaz for the 1984 NWT. That Bible only had a black, hard cover, so the leather one improved the looks of it. Now that the 2013 Bible is out, and it's got a beautiful, light grey cover, I think it would be a sin to cover it up with a leather cover. So they have those clear, vinyl covers, which Madzay has too (Artistic Designs in Canada). Anyway, Ministry Ideaz also has a new leather cover that's the same colour as our new Bible; they call it Ivory. I was debating whether to get one of those instead; at least they've got a zipper around it, unlike the vinyl ones, so you can protect the pages too.

But I thought of the same thing: What if this leather Ivory cover gets ink on it? I thought of this old thread here on the forum that discussed getting ink stains off our 2013 Bible cover. So I wrote to Ministry Ideaz about it. Here's what they wrote back to me:

. . . As for cleaning ink not only our covers but also the leather on the 2013 bible I have a few suggestions that you can pass onto the friends if you wish.

Cleaning Method:

Isopropyl alcohol, plain old rubbing alcohol, works best for home removal of ink stains from leather. Fresh ink stains are easier to remove and usually come out easily, while older stains may require repeat treatments. Leather is porous and the stain can penetrate deep into the hide.

Begin by dampening a white cotton cloth or cotton swab with the alcohol. Don’t use a colored cloth because it can transfer dye to light colored leather. Work from the outside of the stain toward the middle by dabbing with the cloth. Keep the work area small – do not spread the ink into a bigger area!

You should be able to see the ink transfer to the cloth. Dampen a clean area of the cloth or get a new swab as you see ink coming off to prevent re-staining the Bible cover. Gently, keep blotting away until the ink is gone. Do not scrub harshly as that can remove color and a layer of the leather.

Allow the Bible cover to air dry after or between treatments. Once the ink is removed, treat it with leather conditioner to help it remain supple and smooth.

You can also use commercial ink removers like:

Amodex Ink & Stain Remover

Ink B Gone

Old Wives’ Tales:

You’ve probably heard about using hairspray, dish detergent, laundry soap, mayonnaise and abrasive erasers to remove ink from leather. Yes, someone from somewhere has had success using these methods, but they can’t be recommended. Perhaps the best of the bunch is hairspray, which contains high alcohol content, but the other ingredients in the spray can cause staining and other problems. Only use it in an emergency on a fresh ink stain.

The abrasive erasers will probably remove the ink but they’ll also remove a layer of the leather. So, you’ll need to decide if you want a stain or a hole.

I hope this information has been helpful. Should you have more questions or need any further assistance, please let me know and I will be glad to help.

Do any of you know what material the cover of the revised NWT is made of?

Thanks

Someone said it was P.U or Bicast leather which is a material made with a split leather backing covered with a layer of polyurethane.(hence the term PU leather) that is applied to the surface and then embossed.

Check out Google for more info.

I can recommend using a "magic eraser" block (made of melamine foam) to remove ink from the cover of the Bible. Damp the block slightly, and rub gently. Be patient!

Only a few days after receiving my Bible I got ink on the cover. My magic eraser worked a treat  :)

Edited by Josie

We finally got our bibles here in Mexico. We were very excited. I was so eager I was looking at my favorite JW shops, Mazday, Ministry Ideas, Stoops etc. for a cover.  I ended up ordering from Ministry Ideas cuz I like the silver metal tips on the cover corners...and although it comes from Ecuador and takes many weeks to get here...I didn't have a bible yet! I could get all ready so that when it got here, my bible was here. Looks really nice, safe and cozy in it clear plastic cover.  

But thanks for all the tips for any future problem that may arise.

And Christopher, don't feel bad. Those of us that had to wait understand how you feel. Like the "red-headed step child" (my dad used to say). But then I was touched by the fact that our loving organization released the App at the same time. Obviously they couldn't have bibles to every English congregation in the world at the same time. But, the App was awesome and I consoled myself with the fact that others may have a bible but mine has 5 languages and much faster lookup time.

When our shipment arrived, our congregation was having so much fun. And so will you and yours. Enjoy!