JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

A Suicide Prevented at the Sky Tower

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3596 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.jw.org/finder?locale=en&docid=5020133550:

“ ‘So

00:0000:00

Download

MP3

Graham Browne, an 80-year-old Witness of Jehovah, helped to convince a mentally disturbed man not to jump from the 328-meter (1,076 ft) Sky Tower in Auckland, New Zealand. “When the man asked to speak to one of Jehovah’s Witnesses,” said Graham, “the police called me to ask if I would help.

“The Sky Tower staff fitted me with a safety harness and secured my Bible with a long cord. The police then led me to the outside viewing platform, 192 meters (630 ft) above the ground. A freezing wind gusted around the tower. The man who was threatening to jump sat a short distance away from me on a narrow walkway, his legs dangling into space.

“I called out that I was one of Jehovah’s Witnesses and wanted to help. Then, after uttering a silent prayer, I opened my Bible and started to speak.

“I talked about the sanctity of life, the subject of a talk that I had recently given at our local Kingdom Hall.

“ ‘God views you as precious,’ I said, ‘and he has given you a wonderful gift—⁠life. Why not show him that you treasure that gift? Please come behind the safety fence.’

“I also read several Bible texts, including John 3:16, which states: ‘For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.’

“ ‘So God loves you and wants you to live,’ I told him.

“At first, the man didn’t seem to be paying attention. So I silently prayed that Jehovah help me to get through to him. Finally, he slowly got up and edged closer. He was highly agitated.

“ ‘Jehovah’s Witnesses recently came to my home, but I sent them away,’ he said. ‘I feel really bad about that. Will you please forgive me?’

“ ‘Why, even some of us did that before we became Witnesses,’ I assured him. ‘You can be sure that Jehovah will forgive you.’

“ ‘Thank you,’ he replied, ‘that’s a great load off my mind.’

“ ‘You know, I’m really scared for you,’ I continued. ‘I’m wearing a safety harness, but if you slip, your precious life will be lost. That would make Jehovah so sad. So please come behind the safety fence.’

“His demeanor visibly changed. ‘OK,’ he meekly replied. ‘I’ll come in.’

“He stepped onto the viewing platform, and the police quickly led him to safety. We had been talking for about an hour.”

Jehovah’s Witnesses genuinely care about people, especially about those who are distressed. Throughout the world they use the Scriptures to share hope and comfort, assuring people that God truly cares.

00:0000:00

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

This is a very sad world, the other day a sister made a cheese cake and poisoned it, she not only ate from it but also fed it to her daughter unfortunately she could not be saved and her daughter is now paradised:c

Cherene, it is certainly sad that such things do happen even among our brothers and sisters. I could relate many sad, even disgusting things that have taken place with our brothers, but what is gained by publishing this type of event? This forum is for up building and encouragement and I for one find this brings sadness not encouragement.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

This is a very sad world, the other day a sister made a cheese cake and poisoned it, she not only ate from it but also fed it to her daughter unfortunately she could not be saved and her daughter is now paradised:c

Unless this is either a first hand experience or you can post a link to a reliable source, this type of sensational story goes against Forum policy.

F.

. Unverified Experiences & Sensational StoriesThe October 1999 Our Kingdom Ministry says:“What if the experience you pass on is not accurate? Would this not be sharing in perpetuating an untruth?” - (Proverbs. 12:19; 21:28; 30:8; Colossians 3:9)Be mindful of sensational stories or experiences that you cannot verify. This becomes a problem from time to time. It’s a chore for moderators to read extremely long ones, and we will point out what we feel is ridiculously sensational and unrealistic and publicly state why we find it to difficult to believe some facet of this incredulous story. Not to ridicule you, but to protect the gullible for believing everything he or she reads. If the story or experience is legitimate, OR truly encouraging yet not overly far fetched, we’ll probably let it go. Just remember this is not the purpose of the forum.Generally speaking, links to experiences about our brothers should not be posted unless they are first-hand accounts and we personally know the writer or we can testify to the veracity of the account/writer.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25