JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Mandela's first wife

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3747 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/madiba-bids-final-farewell-to-his-first-wife-1.212332

I thought it interesting that Nelson Mandela's first wife, Evelyn, was a Jehovah's Witness. They divorced when he became active in politics and she did not want any part of his activities.

"Though a second daughter, Makaziwe Phumia, was born in May 1954, Mandela's relationship with Evelyn became strained, and she accused him of adultery. Evidence has emerged indicating that he was having affairs with ANC member Lillian Ngoyiand secretary Ruth Mompati; persistent but unproven claims assert that the latter bore Mandela a child. Disgusted by her son's behaviour, Nosekeni returned to Transkei, while Evelyn embraced the Jehovah's Witnesses and rejected Mandela's obsession with politics.[81]"

"Mandela was married three times, fathered six children, had 17 grandchildren,[342] and a large number of great-grandchildren.[343] He could be stern and demanding of his children, although he was more affectionate with his grandchildren.[344] His first marriage was toEvelyn Ntoko Mase in October 1944,.[56] although they divorced after 13 years in 1957 under the multiple strains of his adultery and constant absences, devotion to revolutionary agitation, and the fact that she was a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses, a religion requiring political neutrality.[88] The couple had two sons whom Mr. Mandela survived, Madiba "Thembi" Thembekile (1946–1969) andMakgatho Mandela (1950–2005); his first son died in an auto accident at age 25, and his second son died of AIDS at age 46. The couple had two daughters, both named Makaziwe Mandela (born 1947 and 1953); the first died at the age of nine months, the second, known as Maki, survived Mr. Mandela. Makgatho's son, Mandla Mandela, became chief of the Mvezo tribal council in 2007.[345]"

These are quotes from Wikipedia references

Edited by Chena345

Based in South Africa, I have knowledge of the newspaper reports of the Mandela family. All the above is true. There are a few tit bits here and there, that I heard from traveling overseers over the years. One was at his 1st wife's funeral. He was there with his then wife Winnie. It was quite a thing, that the president of the country could not speak at his ex wife's funeral, which was obviously held by the local witnesses. Winnie is reported to have commented that it was the most dignified funeral she ever attended.

Also there are stories around that Evelyn got Nelson to pay for the chairs in a new Kingdom Hall where she was living at the time. 

It is interesting that from the early 1960, even during our apartheid regimes, when the young brothers were imprisoned,  and since 1994, when the 1st free elections took place in South Africa there has always been someone high in government, who had family members who were witnesses. 

As you may or may not know, the South African branch, for years had the largest translation department. Not sure if it is still, but  we now produce literature for about 70% of Africa. The trucks that go up into North Africa, have a round trip of about 3 weeks. The branch works a 2 sometimes 3 shift rota to keep up. The Governing Body has now approved another high speed press for SA.  The local branch ships 1.2 million items of literature per day. { as per a branch member at our last convention]

It makes me wonder if Jehovah had some hand in there always being relatives of officials in the truth. Most of Africa is so unstable, that one wonders where else but SA could the base have been for Africa. Just as the US is the best base for World headquarters.

Sorry all. I ramble on a bit. Wife not well, and bed time for me. Big day tomorrow. Field service, and then some Theocratic . meetings before our Public meeting and W study at 4 pm. We have it late because summer temperatures where I am, climb to over 40/ 45  deg. Celsius, in the sun.

Please ramble on. I love hearing the information from other parts of the world. It is very encouraging to here from friends in the world wide org. Thank you!

The Guardian U.K.

Evelyn Rakeepile
A

Nelson Mandela shared with his first wife, Evelyn, a passionate commitment to a cause. Unfortunately, it was not the same cause. Evelyn, who has died aged 82, was a Jehovah's Witness with no interest in politics. As Mandela wrote in his autobiography, Long Walk To Freedom: "When I would tell her that I was serving the nation, she would reply that serving God was above serving the nation. A man and woman who hold such different views of their respective roles in life cannot remain close." Nevertheless, they were married for 13 years and had four children, one of whom died in infancy.

As I watched all the fussing over him, I thought, " if that man is resurrected, he has a lot of humbling to do". And I prayed for our brothers and sisters in South Africa. This tidal swell of emotion of that nation's population will be a test as to their neutrality. Jehovah be with you, dear friends.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

• 1 month later...