JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hot Dogs what are they really Made of,

I am not sure if this is the right place..?

I am not a health fanatic by any means.

Just reading this article on Hot dogs & what they are made of is eyeopener to me.

This report says kids who eat regularly hot dogs have a good chance of developing Leukimia, That's a surprise to me.

I buy them once in a blue moon.

Hot Dog Cancer Risks.htm

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I'll eat one occasionally, unless it's too salty.  Way back in 1987, I used to eat a sausage link almost every morning until I got such a bad migraine that I had to go to hospital. Doctor then warned me of nitrates then. So now I still love a good beef sausage with saurkraut, but not too often. Here in Tx., we can get sausage link made from 1/2 deer & 1/2 wild hog. Fresh made, without all that junk, even shrink wrapped for $ 3. pack ( over 1 lb.) Super lean meat, good with cabbage.

Costco sells a Hebrew National 1/2 pound and a medium soda fo $1.50 :yes: I try to go at least once a wek. :chef:

They also have polish sausage for the same price and a slice of pizza and a soda is only $2.50 - guess where I am going for lunch :wave:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

All meat/fish products that have been cured or smoked or injected with nitrites to make them taste smoked have these carcinogenic compounds forming in them. It's rare to find hams/bacon that doesn't have it. Hot-dogs are just the dog-end of the meat/gut&bone off-scrapings of the processed meat market. 

It's a case of how much of it you eat; how regularly you ingest smoked/cured processed products and how much fibre/vegetables you eat with them to get it through your system and not have it sitting long in your innards so that your body tissues are irritated by it:http://www.drdobbin.co.uk/health-dangers-smoked-and-cured-products  http://www.cbsnews.com/news/pancreatic-cancer-risk-increases-with-every-2-strips-of-bacon-you-eat-study/

I try to get some nitrates in once or twice a year when I crave a dog and a burger. And oh those NYC dirty dogs sold on corners were the BEST! Really, I hate meat things, but sometimes a month a girl wants a monster burger. But truly these things cause CANCER big time and so I hold my cravings at bay.

Also a family relation called and said she knew something was wrong when she would get full after 2 or 3 bites of a hot dog and stay full for a week after eating it. Her doctor was concerned about pancratic cancer.

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

Costco sells a Hebrew National 1/2 pound and a medium soda fo $1.50 :yes: I try to go at least once a wek. :chef:

They also have polish sausage for the same price and a slice of pizza and a soda is only $2.50 - guess where I am going for lunch :wave:

Hebrew National FTW!  Love those, and buy them to eat at home on rare occasions.  We hit up the local Skyline Chili restaurant for some coney's every so often.  Not the best dogs, but good with their chili and cheese and mustard.  My wife is more of a bratwurst person though.

Yep, that was many a lunch for me when I was pioneering . . . cheap, in the territory, and always someone there you could talk to while waiting in line.

• 2 months later...

My Dad used to work for Meat Packing Plant here in Cincinnati. He used to say that if you knew what they

put in those hot dogs, you would never eat another one again. Ironically, that never seemed to stop him from

eating hot dogs when we would have them for supper, or at a picnic. So I think to some extent it is all relative.

There is virtually nothing they manufacture and produce here in the U.S. that at one time or another does not

come with some health scare or concern. It only emphasizes our own personal responsibility to make wise

choices for ourselves and the ones that we love.

GStorrs46

After watching Rachael Ray this morning appearantly a 'healthy amount if rodent hair and parts'. I use to love hot dogs as a kid but just can't do it any more. My mind goes wondering. I know it is the same with so many things but that is the one I just can't fool myself with anymore.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Yeah, nobody makes them with real dogs anymore. :(. Except maybe in Thailand?

I used to work in an industrial bakery where not just bread but many cakes etc were made. Again we used to say "If you saw how they were made...." We used to call the woman who made jam donuts, 'Mucky Mary'!

Seems they were using the expression in the U.S as far back as the 1860's when there were dark suspicions about their contents. A popular song in the 1860's goes something like this ....

Oh where oh where has my little dog gone ?

Oh where oh where can he be ?

Now sausage is good, baloney of course.

Oh where of where can he be ?

They made them of dog, they made them of horse.  :deadhorse:

I think they made him of he.

In 1894-95 wagons selling hot sausages in buns were known as dog wagons and nick named "The Kennel Club"   World Wide Words source.

I have always had trouble with hot dogs. My hubby likes them so I found some tastie ones. They are Snake River Farms Kobe beef gourmet frankfurter. Called the "the ultimate Haute Dog"

The ingredients are: beef,water salt, containing less than 2%. of corn syrup, dextrose,mustard, sodium phosphates, paprika, sodium lactate,sodium diacetate, sodium erythorbates, natural flavorings, sodium nitrite.

I don't know if they are better or worse than others but he likes them and doesn't get sick to his stomach eating them. What types of hot doggies do you like or what do you condider the best of the worst?

Edited by Sunflower