JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Noah the movie - be careful. SPOILER

What I don't understand is that just about everyone who has seen it on these 2 threads have over and over exclaimed how disappointed, upset and even regretted that they went - yet some are still considering going to watch a terrible composite bunch of offending lies, as if the movie has now been changed to represent biblical truths!

I love it when he says in the trailer "I am not alone." :D

The only problem is that Noah is not refering to Jehovah or the heavenly angels. He is refering to the "watchers." When the people approach the Ark, these deformed rock monsters crouch down and just look like piles of rocks. When Noah confidently tells Tubalcain "I am not alone," the rock monsters stand up.

Their portrayal was definitly inspired by Satan, and his influence is all through the movie.

The only problem is that Noah is not refering to Jehovah or the heavenly angels. He is refering to the "watchers." When the people approach the Ark, these deformed rock monsters crouch down and just look like piles of rocks. When Noah confidently tells Tubalcain "I am not alone," the rock monsters stand up.

:( Oh, what a disappointment! I was sure he was referring to Jehovah! He sounded like he was!

What I don't understand is that just about everyone who has seen it on these 2 threads have over and over exclaimed how disappointed, upset and even regretted that they went - yet some are still considering going to watch a terrible composite bunch of offending lies, as if the movie has now been changed to represent biblical truths!

If a restaurant advertises itself as five-star quality, but gives you McDonald's-quality food, you likely won't go back. But if it advertised itself as a low-cost restaurant, it would thrive, just as McDonalds itself has for decades. The quality of the food hasn't changed, only the customer's expectations.

I think the same principle applies here. The first to attend assumed that since the movie is named after a biblical character, they were going to watch a scripturally-accurate movie, and were horrified by the low-quality. But those who attend now are expecting a mediocre Hollywood story with a few familiar names, and they'll get exactly what they're expecting.

Their portrayal was definitly inspired by Satan, and his influence is all through the movie.

And that's another reason why I don't want to see the movie. That I know I just won't. Talk about Satanic! 

Favorite Scriptures: Revelation 14:7 and Psalm 34:18 | Lost over 100 lbs following a whole food diet. 
¡Estoy aprendo español con Duolingo! | Lover of Ragdoll cats ❤️ Sammy & Toby

If a restaurant advertises itself as five-star quality, but gives you McDonald's-quality food, you likely won't go back. But if it advertised itself as a low-cost restaurant, it would thrive, just as McDonalds itself has for decades. The quality of the food hasn't changed, only the customer's expectations.

I think the same principle applies here. The first to attend assumed that since the movie is named after a biblical character, they were going to watch a scripturally-accurate movie, and were horrified by the low-quality. But those who attend now are expecting a mediocre Hollywood story with a few familiar names, and they'll get exactly what they're expecting.

so good explanation ... i was in the same line of thinking but did not know how to express the idea

i can see you're such a good illustration maker brother   :D   :cool:

" Indeed, what do you have that you did not receive ? "

Brother Tim, Jehovah gave each of us a wonderful gift when he endowed us with free will. That's great because we can take our own decisions and let other do as they please.

In a different music-related thread I read another comment by you and I found it extremely rude. The reason why the friends write here is for encouragement. Please, let's encourage each other and stop trying to take decisions for them. :)

If you decide to see this movie, don't expect it to be anything like what the Bible teaches. This seems to be inspired by the demons.................

These angels are refered to as "the watchers" and apparently came to earth to help humans, and were summarily punished by God for doing so. God, who is not named in the movie, turned these caring angels into very tall, deformed, rock creatures. These poor creatures then redeem themselves by building the Ark, and then saving Noah and his family from the attacking crowds. As each one "dies" protecting the Ark they are transformed back into angels and return, glorified, to heaven.

Who but Satan would want them portrayed in this way??

Noah' father had a snake skin (presumably the skin shed by the serpent in Eden before it tempted Eve). This skin glowed when wrapped around the finger and forearm and appears to have had some role in imparting blessings. This skin was taken by Tubalcain. Tubalcain managed to sneak into the Ark and was cared for by Ham. Tubalcain then hands it to Ham just before he tries to kill Noah. Ham eventually gives it to Noah who uses it to bless Shem's two daughters.

During the whole movie I got the feeling that Jehovah was being portrayed as a cruel, uncaring, god (as he is still being portrayed now). It seems that His plan was to wipe all humans off the Earth, even Noah and his family. They were tasked to save the animals, then would eventually die out. Shem was the only son to have a wife. She was unable to have children - that is until Methuselah magically healed her (unknown to Noah). They are on the Ark when Noah finds out she is pregnant. Noah gets really angry because she has messed up God's plan for mankind to die out after Japheth. He states that if she gives birth to a son, he will be the last man to die. If she gives birth to a daughter, Noah will kill the child.

Thanks Nial, I will now give this film a miss. I was going to give it a shot but from what you have described it looks like the story has been twisted to make the Demons (Watchers) look like hero's and make Noah and God out to be the cruel villains. Why would i pay £10 to go and be epically annoyed and enraged at such a bad portrayal and even God dishonoring version of events.

I didn't for one moment think that everything would be in line with the true account but to have it so wrong and backwards just goes to show me that Satan really got his ideas across with this film. It reeks of his meddling. Thank you for starting this thread and helping me come to this decision.

Sorry to all those who unfortunately sat through this and wished they hadn't.

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

as if the movie has now been changed to represent biblical truths!

The movie is fiction not a documentary, it's even stated as such. So I'd never expect Biblical truth from it. That's just dumb. But thankfully I know the truth and for me PERSONALLY the lines of fiction and truth are either too close together or just crossed. Example... painting Satan's demons in a good light. You just don't paint any spirit creature ousted from heaven in a good light. You also don't use as a talisman the shed skin of a serpent that's supposedly from the Garden of Eden. It all just reeks of spiritism beyond what I'm comfortable with. That just doesn't fly with me. Yes I still want to see it because it overall looks like a good movie. The trailers are indeed enticing. But it's definitely off my list to see.

So I'm open to hear all thoughts and experiences from others. Just not insults. 

Favorite Scriptures: Revelation 14:7 and Psalm 34:18 | Lost over 100 lbs following a whole food diet. 
¡Estoy aprendo español con Duolingo! | Lover of Ragdoll cats ❤️ Sammy & Toby

WHAT!!! I thought he was referring to Jehovah, too! Where did they get the idea for Rock Monsters? What are those even suppose to be? :blink:  Rock Monsters are definitely not mentioned in the account of Noah.Their portrayal Noah was definitly inspired by Satan. -_-

The O.P. does mention the book of Enoch.  It appears to contain the great majority of the source material for this movie's plot rather than the bible, which seem to have little other than technical details derived from it. Yet, the film is still labelled a "Bible movie." :wall:  

There is a Wikipedia article about this book; though, after reading it, some historical details I'd take with a grain of salt, after all it is only Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Enoch   

It sounds like the movie makers have turned good to bad and bad to good....but isn't this a trend we see in most movies ? We have to understand that the only way we can even loosely reason that this is a biblical movie is that it has a character called Noah and a ark, the rest of the movie is complete fiction...which they readily admit.

We are all blessed with a conscience and can make our own decisions regarding watching or not, after all had they portrayed things truthfully !!!?

We have had movies in the past that require conscience....it's no biggie, just make up your own minds:)

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

The demons are  angry that Jehovah sent the flood wiping out their offspring. If what I've read somewhere, sometime ago about the origin of halloween is correct they also try to get as many humans as possible to commemorate/memorialise this event each year at halloween. It's just more taunting of Jehovah.

Sometimes we are strong when it comes to theocratic things, but we may let down our guard in other areas of life. Thank you to the many here who try to signal a clear warning to stay clear of impending danger to our spirituality - this helps us all to stay away from the fence to view what looks "interesting." May entertainment, recreation, music and other pursuits not weaken our resolve to remain firm - you level headed ones here help provide that for us, we appreciate that and hopefully will show it by making the proper decisions and choices for us, our family and aid our friends too.

Edited by timpin

From what I have read about the movie and from those who have gone and seen it. It truly is about promoting Satan and his demons and making them look good and putting down Jehovah and his servants and making them look like hateful murderers. 

After knowing all of this, why would I want to satisfy Satan and pay money to support "Junk" like this. Because if it does well money wise then the movie industry will keep pumping out Satanic trash like this, they don't care about being Truthful or Doing it Right to praise Jehovah. The movie industry for the most part want people to live an immoral life and to be greedy and selfish, they want to promote this lifestyle and make people who are moral to be put down as uncaring and hateful toward others. 

We saw the film yesterday, opening day of it in the U K . I have to agree with those who found it very disappointing.

I did not expect it it to be a true depiction of the Genesis account. I had read that the director "drew ideas from various sources" but apart from that - it was just a bad film IMHO.

The script was  terrible with hammy dialogue.. It was a dark, brooding depressing tale as Noah lapsed into psychotic rage and was resolved to murder his grandchildren. 

The effects of the floodwaters were impressive though, that image will remain with me as I read Genesis in future ,  My wife had to nip to the loo halfway and in 2 minutes missed the scene she wanted to see, with the animals coming to the ark. In fact they all looked to me like CGI effects , I did not see a real animal on set, perhaps a bird though??

I wished we had not bothered, I really wanted it to be over and I do not think that it will be successful , even the acting skills of Russel Crowe could not save this "turkey"

Sometimes something good comes even from bad things. :)

I have a younger sister who was raised in the truth but at certain point decided serving Jehovah is not for her. She has never been baptized, not even an unbaptized publisher, and she now lives a "normal" life from the viewpoint of the world, not particularly wicked but neither clean.

Last weekend she went to the movies with some friends and watched the Noah film. It seems she hasn't forgot all that she was taught about the Bible, because she was very upset that the movie had presented everything wrong. She was so angry that her friends asked her what was wrong, and she explained what the Scriptures really say about Noah, why the Flood came, what the demons really did, how Noah invited everyone to get into the ark, and how Jehovah's Witnesses do a similar work today. She gave a great witness! :lol:

It would be great if that made her think better and come back to Jehovah's people!

Sometimes something good comes even from bad things. :)

I have a younger sister who was raised in the truth but at certain point decided serving Jehovah is not for her. She has never been baptized, not even an unbaptized publisher, and she now lives a "normal" life from the viewpoint of the world, not particularly wicked but neither clean.

Last weekend she went to the movies with some friends and watched the Noah film. It seems she hasn't forgot all that she was taught about the Bible, because she was very upset that the movie had presented everything wrong. She was so angry that her friends asked her what was wrong, and she explained what the Scriptures really say about Noah, why the Flood came, what the demons really did, how Noah invited everyone to get into the ark, and how Jehovah's Witnesses do a similar work today. She gave a great witness! :lol:

It would be great if that made her think better and come back to Jehovah's people!

That is exactly why I have NOT said anything positive nor negative about the film to my three older boys. If they choose to see it, it opens up a chance to talk about what really happened. You never know what the end result may be.

Edited by Mykyl

Here's a well-written article by one of our brothers that appeared in the Cleveland Daily Banner:

http://www.clevelandbanner.com/view/full_story/24846695/article-WRIGHT-WAY--The-truth-about---NOAH-?instance=main_article

I thought it was balanced and considered, but at the same time sets the record straight for any honest hearted unbelievers who may have read it.

Edited by Dave

Sometimes we are strong when it comes to theocratic things, but we may let down our guard in other areas of life. Thank you to the many here who try to signal a clear warning to stay clear of impending danger to our spirituality - this helps us all to stay away from the fence to view what looks "interesting." May entertainment, recreation, music and other pursuits not weaken our resolve to remain firm - you level headed ones here help provide that for us, we appreciate that and hopefully will show it by making the proper decisions and choices for us, our family and aid our friends too.

Here's a well-written article by one of our brothers that appeared in the Cleveland Daily Banner:

http://www.clevelandbanner.com/view/full_story/24846695/article-WRIGHT-WAY--The-truth-about---NOAH-?instance=main_article

I thought it was balanced and considered, but at the same time sets the record straight for any honest hearted unbelievers who may have read it.

... a nice quote and final thought from the article:

"At Matthew 24:37-39, Jesus Christ used the flood of Noah’s day to warn Christians that the vast majority would again be caught off guard when the Son of Man arrives to bring lasting peace on earth. Should this concern you?

Is it possible that by diluting the real impact of the global flood in a sweeping film production, people will question the importance of obedience to God as a key to survival? If so, be very careful. Someone is rocking your boat — hoping you’ll go under."

Edited by timpin

Well I hadn't read this thread before I saw the movie but did know NOT to expect a the bible story.  Crowe basically said he used the bible as "inspiration" to tell his own story and yes, it was dark, made Noah look a little mentally unstable and basically had little or nothing to do with the bible narrative.  Still if you''re okay watching X-men or Transformers and don't mind people getting whacked on the head with axes, it's not going to be overly traumatic if you simply don't EXPECT anything  but an Hollywood adventure story that has nothing to do with the bible, save the title of the movie.

Demons = good guys

God = silent

Noah = borderline psycho

but on the positive side

Creation sequence = excellent

Ark = as I imagined it

Graphic/visuals = pretty impressive

And who knows, maybe people will pick up their bible's to read the real story as a result of all the fuss. 

Food 4 thought: How interesting that its banned in Malaysia. Its also banned in Muslim countries. People who don't even adhere to the bible like we do don't want it there. What does that tell you???

All over the world there is a "Noah" version in their history and they know its not right.

Another interesting thought ~ 7-15-14 Second study article, paragraph 12: In the matter of entertainment, our organization does not review specific movies, video games, books, or songs in order to rule on what we should avoid. Why not? The Bible encourages each individual to train his “powers of discernment . . . to distinguish both right and wrong.” (Heb. 5:14) The Scriptures set forth basic principles that a Christian can weigh when selecting entertainment. In all areas of life, our goal should be to “keep on making sure of what is acceptable to the Lord.” (Eph. 5:10) The Bible teaches that family heads have a measure of authority, so they may choose not to allow certain entertainment in their household. *—1 Cor. 11:3; Eph. 6:1-4.

Edited by timpin