JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Rock concerts

We are going to see a rock concert and some of our good friends discouraged us from going. They were quite adamant about it. They even advised that we not mention it to others as they think we could be reproved.

I understand their concerns. But I also feel that they have a misguided idea of what it's like to go to a concert.

Also, my choice of music is up to my conscience. There are only two songs this band plays that bother me. And my husband and I have resolved to leave the arena during these songs if they are played.

So what are your opinions? Do any of you choose to go to concerts?

There's nothing inherently wrong with going to a concert. You just have to exercise judgement as to the particular concert that you go to. Much the same as with movies, or any other entertainment. Many brothers and sisters enjoy concerts of a wide variety. I've never really been, but I've known many that went to all types of shows and really enjoyed them. We may go to one or two this year. My wife has been wanting to get out to some live music.

19By our consciously focusing attention now on the unfolding fulfillmentof Bible prophecy in these exciting times, we will not be distracted by the noise from Satan’s world; nor will we be blind to the real meaning of world events. Christ will soon complete his conquest of this ungodly society by waging the finalwar in righteousness. (Rev. 19:11,19-21) Think of what the Bible assures us can then be our happy lot!—Rev. 20:1-3, 6; 21:3, 4.

Not sure what this has to do with going to a concert :shrugs: unless it is the reference to "the noise" :eek:

Setting that aside ..... whoever said that you could be reproved :o were they saying this applies to "any" concert  :idea:  or did they say this because you said a "rock concert"

I have known many who have gone to concerts .... including classical, Celtic Woman,Barry Manilow, Jonas Brothers, and others - there were never any judicial actions taken for any of these - and I see no reason there should be.

Unless the concert in question has music aimed at unscriptural ideals and/or the band is known for Satanic things - I am not sure where the dividing line would be between jazz, classical, pop, rock, country, or bagpipes, for that matter.

Sounds to me this may be another case of someone "imposing their own conscience" ... or taste .... on others :rockon:

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Not sure what this has to do with going to a concert :shrugs: unless it is the reference to "the noise" :eek:

Setting that aside ..... whoever said that you could be reproved :o were they saying this applies to "any" concert  :idea:  or did they say this because you said a "rock concert"

I have known many who have gone to concerts .... including classical, Celtic Woman,Barry Manilow, Jonas Brothers, and others - there were never any judicial actions taken for any of these - and I see no reason there should be.

Unless the concert in question has music aimed at unscriptural ideals and/or the band is known for Satanic things - I am not sure where the dividing line would be between jazz, classical, pop, rock, country, or bagpipes, for that matter.

Sounds to me this may be another case of someone "imposing their own conscience" ... or taste .... on others :rockon:

:lol1:  :lol2:

We recently went to see "Imagine Dragons". They are really good - a little loud for me, but we had a good time.

I didn't realize that the lead singer was a percussionist. He is VERY good!

Live music is always SO different from recorded. I hope you have fun  :wave: .

Just stick to your Bible trained conscience on what you do and who you see.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I have known many who have gone to concerts .... Jonas Brothers,

I dont about reproving... perhaps straight to disfellowshipping! :-) its a crime against music!

.. Seriously tho .. Its a conscience matter... I used to go to loads of gigs... Not many any more but that cos i cantbe bothered... Prefer a cup of cocoa and a sit by the fire :-) but there are some gigs i wouldnt go to and i would make my own decision on that based on what i know about the band in question.

Enjoy! :-) but tell me youre not going to see that talentless bunch of bananas one direction? :-)

I used to go to the opera a lot and I can tell you it's full of ghostly ships, magic flutes, people rising from the dead, adultery, murder, cross dressing, women of ill repute etc. but the audience was well dressed, we'll behaved and very elderly for the most part. No action was taken. Must be due to the patrons and being classical. :)

I am going to the ballet with music by Zappa, and also a Peter Gabriel concert in the near future. I have seen Pink Floyd (The Wall) and Roger Waters (The Wall) and Dweezil in a Zappa Plays Zappa concert. Been to the opera many times.

Bit long in the tooth for headbanging now, but still enjoy music!

Someof the bnds today have names deliberately chosen to be shocking, so I imagine that their music reflects that too. If in doubt, leave it out.

I am going to the ballet with music by Zappa, and also a Peter Gabriel concert in the near future. I have seen Pink Floyd (The Wall) and Roger Waters (The Wall) and Dweezil in a Zappa Plays Zappa concert. Been to the opera many times.

Someof the bnds today have names deliberately chosen to be shocking, so I imagine that their music reflects that too. If in doubt, leave it out.

i like gabriel.. Altho perhaps his stuf in the last five years is a bit yawnsome... You an early genesis fan chris?

Edited by stuagu

i like gabriel.. Altho perhaps his stuf in the last five years is a bit yawnsome... You an early genesis fan chris?

Oh yes, Stu.  After Hackett left they went downhill, imho.  I like Gabriel and the tour is the whole of "So" plus some other stuff.  I have heard the concert from the O2, and there is a movie of that concert coming out in 4K!

Every concert of this tour can be purchased afterwards, so you can have a permanent record of the gig you went to.  Cool idea!

Yes... They bern doin that for a while now... For me.. The minute gabriel left was the start of a quick downhill spiral and as you say when hacket left that just sped up and they became chart pop instead of prog masters.

Couldn’t agree more.  I have and still go to my share of shows but I keep it to myself as I know it isn’t everyone’s bag. 

I went to see Van Halen – I didn’t tell anyone about it, it was just myself and my wife.  Had a great time.  But I know if I started broadcasting it around someone is going to be offended.  So I learn who I can discuss music and sports with and who I can’t.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I go to concerts. I love concerts. They're fun and I love leaving deaf if it's played loud enough. What I do in the car or around the house... jumping around, singing, and using a banana as a MIC is what I do at a concert. Sometimes I'll even dance with my wife to a song if it's sappy country song. I know groups of hundreds of brothers and sisters that go to Jazz concerts at the Hollywood Bowl and various other concerts like Coachella and Stagecoach yearly. Brothers and sisters I know in the truth out here (Los Angeles) have made it in the music industry and I've seen them play at concerts. It sort of a thing you do in SoCal like going to a Dodger or LA Kings game.

I personally watch who's around me and whom I associate with (that in itself can be more dangerous than the music.) Music really influences people and it shows at concerts. "It doesn't matter what genre". I also try to have fun naturally which means I rarely drink. But ultimately I also remember who I represent. Most of the time I'm sitting and singing anyway because my cowboy boots (I go to country concerts) hurt after an hour. Country music may sooth the ears (for some) but not the feet.

Favorite Scriptures: Revelation 14:7 and Psalm 34:18 | Lost over 100 lbs following a whole food diet. 
¡Estoy aprendo español con Duolingo! | Lover of Ragdoll cats ❤️ Sammy & Toby

We recently went to see "Imagine Dragons". They are really good - a little loud for me, but we had a good time.

I didn't realize that the lead singer was a percussionist. He is VERY good!

Live music is always SO different from recorded. I hope you have fun   :wave: .

Just stick to your Bible trained conscience on what you do and who you see.

My husband really likes that band.  Unfortunatey there is a big gap between our music "likes" because of our age difference (and no - he's not older than me - I'm much older than him!  I went "tadpoling")

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Couldn’t agree more.  I have and still go to my share of shows but I keep it to myself as I know it isn’t everyone’s bag. 

I went to see Van Halen – I didn’t tell anyone about it, it was just myself and my wife.  Had a great time.  But I know if I started broadcasting it around someone is going to be offended.  So I learn who I can discuss music and sports with and who I can’t.

This is my exact feeling. I just don't talk about some personal things. All of us are individuals, and have different thinking. Haven't been to a concert in years. Cheap Trick was the last one. Tells you something, doesn't it? My husband surprised me with a trip to San Francisco, and Phantom of a The Opera. Loved that.

I like to dance. A lot. Not my husband, at all. I go to a series of performers inland. Lots of Witnesses go, and us sisters have a grand time. We know what is okay for us, and not. And we need to respect that fact. Enjoy yourself!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

First concert I went to was as a married woman. Rick took me to see Rolling Stones their Steel Wheels Tour in LA. The opening act was a fairly new band, you might have heard of them. Guns and Roses. Slash danced around on stage wearing bottomless chaps. It was a Hugh outdoor concert and it was suppose to rain that day. I made Rick stop and buy me a rain slicker to keep me dry. He accused me of not knowing how to have a good time. Anyway, I donned this bright yellow slicker just in case. We found our seats way up high in the crowds after buying me a hot dog and soda. After he made sure I was taken care of he left to go to the bathroom. He said when he was returning ho looked up into the crowd and I stood out like a sore thumb. Sitting quietly. Eating my hit dog with mustard and relish all over my face. As he got up closer he said he had to chuckle because everyone around me was standing and dancing and passing 'funny cigarettes' up and down the rows and I just sat there eating my hot dog and weaving back and forth as the crowd passed this smoke up and down. I had no idea it was weed. Had never been to a concert much less one of that magnitude! I was the only one in the entire stadium wearing rain gear. Not sharing pot. Appalled at Slash's lack of covering on his hiney. I was 10 years from learning the Truth. How I made it that long I'll never know. After that I attended 5 AC/DC concerts (my favorite--I know, I know) and one KISS. All before learning the Truth! After I learned the Truth I attended Big and Rich, Gretchen Wilson, Toby Keith, Garth Brooks and went 5 years to Nashville for the 4 day concerts held every June. Love Nashville!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Went to loads of concerts in my youth, later on got a job working in a concert venue/ convention centre, so saw literally hundreds of different bands as it was part of my job to be there when the concert was on.

Stopped going to concerts for a long while as was sick of them having worked on them, but do occasionally go to see a few now and again, nothing heavy metal or the like for me though, never liked it. Howard Jones and Deacon Blue are the most recent ones I've been to.

Also enjoy the theatre and occasional opera, did see a couple of ballets but never got into them either.

Just have to be selective in what I go and see.

Time is a great healer. Unless you've got a rash, then you're better off with ointment.

Holly - Red Dwarf

Seen many rock groups in my time,but never seen Van Halen, i used to have their self titled first album,the last concert i went to was Keane,no swearing or suggestive lyrics

I saw Van Halen years ago, it was a great show and yes, I didn't broadcast it.  I did eventually tell my COBOE about the concert, and you can read why, pretty funny story actually, so here it is.

Few years back, we had a new elder move into our cong and he is our COBOE.  He is one of these perfect elders, and I'm not being sarcastic, I love my COBOE.  Anyway, he grew up in the perfect witness home, spent many years in Bethel, he appears to be very strict at the congregation, very spiritual, very smart, friends with CO's and DO's and even members of the GB. Shortly after he moved into our congregation, alot of the friends felt nervous around him based on appearances.  We had a get together for the kids one day, and I was sitting there at the table eating some pizza with some friends, when the COBOE walked in with his wife and kids.  He had headphones in his ear and he was using his hands and moving them around like he was hitting drums, and he sat down in front of me. So I am looking at this brother and I asked him what music he was listening too.  He told me "Rush", lol.  Wow, did I start to laugh.  When he asked why I was laughing, I said "I never would have thought you liked Rush"  he then said "People always think things about me that are not correct, in reality, I am just a regular guy" and then he started to laugh. We then discussed music, and I told him I had seen Van Halen, and he was like "wow, I never saw them, how was the show" and he wanted details like crazy about the Van Halen Concert.

After that, I got to know him better and while he is very spiritual, he is really a good and funny guy.  Since that first time at the pizza place, he always teases me now, he often will make jokes on the stage at my expense, lol, it's all in good fun. 

Now back to the original topic and one who posted the question, yes it's ok to go to rock concerts, and no you will not be reproved for going to one.

We hâve an éluder ego surprise dus too. His indulgence os AC/DC. I never would have thought! Especially given the many sexual references in their music

At any rate we saw a great show. There were two songs that required that we not looked at the video screens and one song that I went to the washroom during. But other than that we had a blast.

I think some people just have wild imaginations as to what goes on at concerts. This couple that I originally mentioned, I think, imagined heavy drug use and the like. I appreciated their concern for us but perhaps their concern was exaggerated?

Thanks everyone for your reassuring words.

The two people I would like to see, if, uh, I could get them to skip certain songs, and behave a bit more on stage is Tina Turner and Rod Stewart. His, "Forever Young", is one of my all time favorites.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!