JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Rock concerts

Not sure you could call it a "concert", but I did go hear Tom Petty live as well as Bernie Leadon (of the Eagles) - but this dates back a while - in fact, it dates back to before they were the "big names" they became.

We used to go listen to them jam in a warehouse bay they used to use.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I saw Van Halen years ago, it was a great show and yes, I didn't broadcast it.  I did eventually tell my COBOE about the concert, and you can read why, pretty funny story actually, so here it is.

Few years back, we had a new elder move into our cong and he is our COBOE.  He is one of these perfect elders, and I'm not being sarcastic, I love my COBOE.  Anyway, he grew up in the perfect witness home, spent many years in Bethel, he appears to be very strict at the congregation, very spiritual, very smart, friends with CO's and DO's and even members of the GB. Shortly after he moved into our congregation, alot of the friends felt nervous around him based on appearances.  We had a get together for the kids one day, and I was sitting there at the table eating some pizza with some friends, when the COBOE walked in with his wife and kids.  He had headphones in his ear and he was using his hands and moving them around like he was hitting drums, and he sat down in front of me. So I am looking at this brother and I asked him what music he was listening too.  He told me "Rush", lol.  Wow, did I start to laugh.  When he asked why I was laughing, I said "I never would have thought you liked Rush"  he then said "People always think things about me that are not correct, in reality, I am just a regular guy" and then he started to laugh. We then discussed music, and I told him I had seen Van Halen, and he was like "wow, I never saw them, how was the show" and he wanted details like crazy about the Van Halen Concert.

After that, I got to know him better and while he is very spiritual, he is really a good and funny guy.  Since that first time at the pizza place, he always teases me now, he often will make jokes on the stage at my expense, lol, it's all in good fun. 

Now back to the original topic and one who posted the question, yes it's ok to go to rock concerts, and no you will not be reproved for going to one.

It's all about balance!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

• 1 month later...

I dont about reproving... perhaps straight to disfellowshipping! :-) its a crime against music!

.. Seriously tho .. Its a conscience matter... I used to go to loads of gigs... Not many any more but that cos i cantbe bothered... Prefer a cup of cocoa and a sit by the fire :-) but there are some gigs i wouldnt go to and i would make my own decision on that based on what i know about the band in question.

Enjoy! :-) but tell me youre not going to see that talentless bunch of

bananas one direction? :-)

Have you actually listened to all of the Jonas Brothers music or going by popular opinion? I've been a fan for years and have been to one of their concerts, they are much more talented than most of the "haters" who judge them like they were Mozart or something. They are great musicians, better than boy "bands" like One Direction, people just like to judge on image instead of artistic value, apparently even posters on JW Talk. o.O

But yes, I've been to one concert in my life, and since it was for a "clean" group like the Jonas Brothers it was great and very enjoyable. Not anything that would be wrong in Jehovah's eyes. But the girls screaming (especially when Joe took jis jacket off, don't worry, he was wearing a tank underneath) could be considered something :P

Edited by JayMusicGirl

Have you actually listened to all of the Jonas Brothers music or going by popular opinion? I've been a fan for years and have been to one of their concerts, they are much more talented than most of the "haters" who judge them like they were Mozart or something. They are great musicians, better than boy "bands" like One Direction, people just like to judge on image instead of artistic value, apparently even posters on JW Talk. o.O

But yes, I've been to one concert in my life, and since it was for a "clean" group like the Jonas Brothers it was great and very enjoyable. Not anything that would be wrong in Jehovah's eyes. But the girls screaming (especially when Joe took jis jacket off, don't worry, he was wearing a tank underneath) could be considered something :P

the :-) gives a clue to that me post wasnt entirely serious. :-) i dont thik you or anyone else should be disfellowshipped for going to see them

i apologise if my jokes or style of posts offends. i tend to joke most of the time so best get used to it. :-)

... theres that smiley face again. ...

im glad u like the jonas brothers... i have experience of 2 of their cds which my daughter used to play in the car. i know quite a lot of their stuf for a 49 year old :-)

heres wot i realy think ...

singer ... hes ok ... But he has a very ltd range and i dont particularly think his voice sounds nice or has any tone or depth to it. When ive seen live clips he struggles .

Guitar player. As a guitarist he is very average... But i do think he has some songwriting ability ..

Drummer... Can.keep time but is no great shakes.

Now.. I totally respect that u like the jonas brothers... And some of the songs are quite catchy... But great musicians ? No theyre not.

Theyre just average musicians... people use the word GREAT far too liberally.

Christian love

gu

I don't like going to concerts I love it. Been to Glastonbury 5 times, Reading twice, seen Bon Jovi, Alter Bridge, Asian Dub Foundation and tons of other stuff. Off to the NASS festival in 10 days. Will be making the meeting on Sunday though and then back to the bath and west show ground for the rest of the day. It's probably my only holiday of the year seeing as I have been so busy this year.

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

I have an eclectic and wide taste in music and I know some would go 'YOU LISTEN TO THAT?' All I will say is it ranges from some extremely heavy metal, includes punk, and some current as well as classical music.  I've posted some of the songs in 'what are you listening to right now' but in the interest of the consciences of others I don't include some of the stuff I would throw on while exercising or cleaning the house.  

Same goes for who I'd go see in concert.  

Obviously nothing with satanic leanings, and I do research each of the bands/artists I listen to.  If it's a foreign artist, I also research the english lyrics version.  

I love a strong bass line, a superb guitar solo and great set of vocals.

:rockon:   :punk: 

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

I don't like going to concerts I love it. Been to Glastonbury 5 times, Reading twice, seen Bon Jovi, Alter Bridge, Asian Dub Foundation and tons of other stuff. Off to the NASS festival in 10 days. Will be making the meeting on Sunday though and then back to the bath and west show ground for the rest of the day. It's probably my only holiday of the year seeing as I have been so busy this year.

I used to live close enough to Pilton that I didn't need a ticket. I thought it was great this year, but then its good every year lol

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

I loved it including his hair!

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."