JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Lapel pins or tie tacs with JW.ORG

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3477 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

No, the branch has not "ok'd" the pins and we cannot order them from the branch.

What they have said is - you can use the jw.org square for your personal use NOT commercial.

When did they say this? Was it in a letter?

I ask cause when I spoke to the Service Committee at the branch, they told me something else.

When did they say this? Was it in a letter?

I ask cause when I spoke to the Service Committee at the branch, they told me something else.

From here - http://www.jw.org/apps/E_YRTNYGRsZF

What constitutes proper use? You may view, download, and print copyrighted artwork, electronic publications, music, photos, text, videos (“Content”) from this website for your own personal and non-commercial purposes,

AND I said - "What they have said is - you can use the jw.org square for your personal use NOT commercial. "

See how similar?

EDIT: this is why it is always best to go with what is in writing verses what we hear someone say (especially if that someone is unwilling to put what they are saying in writing :yes:  )

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

It was right there all the time since September 1st. Lol ☺

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

AND I said - "What they have said is - you can use the jw.org square for your personal use NOT commercial. "

See how similar?

EDIT: this is why it is always best to go with what is in writing verses what we hear someone say (especially if that someone is unwilling to put what they are saying in writing :yes:  )

I don't know, personal use does not sound like "wear JW.org pins everywhere you go" or "put JW.org on umbrellas, bumper stickers, etc"

It also says not to use anything for purposes of marketing.  Imo, I think the way the friends are using JW.org on everything is in a sense marketing.  I know many others who feel the friends are commercializing the website like we are promoting a store, or another form of business.  I know many including myself who feel it's becoming tacky.  Almost like when you visit somewhere and they have tacky and cheap souvenirs. 

To each their own.

I think I am gonna stick with what the branch said to me for now.

Some have pointed to this portion of the "Terms of use" as saying you can't use it:

Hence, you may not:

- Use this website for any purposes related to marketing.

Bet lets be clear on what the definition of "marketing" is:

Marketing is the process of communicating the value of a product or service to customers, for the purpose of selling that product or service

According to the Bible we are not "selling a product or service" when we are in the ministry. And when we point people to the JW.org website - like the slave just encouraged us to do this week in our Service Meeting - again we are not selling a "product or service".

However, if the slave does NOT want us to point ones to the jw.org website - having parts encouraging us to do so - doesn't make a lot of sense, eh?

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I see what you are saying Jerry, and you are entitled to think that way.  I just think that is not what the intent of the terms of use are for.

As I said, to each their own.  I called the branch recently and was told something different, so I will stick with that for now.

See how similar?

That Breach of Terms part was pretty strong!  (I didn't even want to copy and paste it)      .... how will that effect Apps like Equipd?

... care to share Exactly what you were TOLD from the Branch Ava?   ... we would like to know what You are Sticking with.

Edited by timpin

I see what you are saying Jerry, and you are entitled to think that way.  I just think that is not what the intent of the terms of use are for.

As I said, to each their own.  I called the branch recently and was told something different, so I will stick with that for now.

Then they should put THAT in writing and send it out. Until then - we only have what they HAVE put in writing, yes?

Soon .....

That Breach of Terms part was pretty strong!  (I didn't even want to copy and paste it)      .... how will that effect Apps like Equipd?

Equipd is a COMMERCIAL product as he SELLS it. That is completely different than what we are talking about here.

I have a feeling - he will not be "selling" it much longer  :nope: 

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

I don't know, personal use does not sound like "wear JW.org pins everywhere you go" or "put JW.org on umbrellas, bumper stickers, etc"

It also says not to use anything for purposes of marketing.  Imo, I think the way the friends are using JW.org on everything is in a sense marketing.  I know many others who feel the friends are commercializing the website like we are promoting a store, or another form of business......

We are marketing the website. Advertise, advertise, advertise the website, that's what we have been doing the past few months. Service meeting items, tract campaigns, logos on Kingdom Halls, carts, literature, branch buildings. We are part of a massive marketing campaign. We are marketing and advertising the kingdom through the website. This is fully backed by the faithful slave, in fact they are encouraging it.

When it says not to use anything for marketing purposes, I don't think they are meaning don't advertise the website, I think they mean to not make any money from it. Should we be profiting from making jw.org badges and selling them? No. But we can wear them give them away and distribute them to advertise the website. jw.org is becoming known all over the world and it is down to this massive drive by the organisation. It is being used by potential bible studies and those that otherwise would not be contacted or reached through other means. Just in our congregation alone, bible studies are being started using the website videos and online forms.

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

We are marketing the website. Advertise, advertise, advertise the website, that's what we have been doing the past few months. Service meeting items, tract campaigns, logos on Kingdom Halls, carts, literature, branch buildings. We are part of a massive marketing campaign. We are marketing and advertising the kingdom through the website. This is fully backed by the faithful slave, in fact they are encouraging it.

When it says not to use anything for marketing purposes, I don't think they are meaning don't advertise the website, I think they mean to not make any money from it. Should we be profiting from making jw.org badges and selling them? No. But we can wear them give them away and distribute them to advertise the website. jw.org is becoming known all over the world and it is down to this massive drive by the organisation. It is being used by potential bible studies and those that otherwise would not be contacted or reached through other means. Just in our congregation alone, bible studies are being started using the website videos and online forms.

I am aware of all of this.

As I said twice now in regards to the pins, to each their own.  If you want to wear one, wear one.  

When I spoke with the branch, I decided not to wear one based on what they said to me.  My elders/ms are also not wearing them til further instruction from the branch.  

If the branch sends a letter saying "wear the pins everywhere" then I will take mine out of my jewelry box and wear it.  

When I spoke with the branch, I decided not to wear one based on what they said to me.  My elders/ms are also not wearing them til further instruction from the branch.  

If the branch sends a letter saying "wear the pins everywhere" then I will take mine out of my jewelry box and wear it.  

I thought a "friend" called the branch, did you also call them? If so, what did they say to you that was different then what you posted they said to her?

http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/16199-spoiler-august-campaign-and-beyond/?p=232171

I thought a "friend" called the branch, did you also call them? If so, what did they say to you that was different then what you posted they said to her?

http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/16199-spoiler-august-campaign-and-beyond/?p=232171

Yes my friend did call the branch first.  I called them at the end of August or early Sept.

What was said to me was similar to what was said to my friend, bit different.

Now it's possible if I call the branch tomorrow they may say something different.  

Right now I am going to follow the lead of my elders and CO who have all said "We have not been told to wear JW.org pins at this time.  Til then we wait for that direction from the Governing Body"

There is nothing wrong with me refraining to wear my pin at this time if I so choose.  If you or anyone else wants to wear it, then wear it.

I hope you are not serious about phoning the brothers on the service desk about such a profoundly serious spiritual issue ... such as tie tacks and little pieces of plastic and pins...

Big picture .. Little picture... This is but an ant on a tooth pick floating down the Mississippi...

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

This is still an ongoing issue. I'll just repost what I related on another forum.

http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/16199-spoiler-august-campaign-and-beyond/?p=232917

Ashley

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

I hope you are not serious about phoning the brothers on the service desk about such a profoundly serious spiritual issue ... such as tie tacks and little pieces of plastic and pins...

Big picture .. Little picture... This is but an ant on a tooth pick floating down the Mississippi...

Yes I did call the branch on this.  I received the idea from this thread where we were discussing the pins previously.  A moderator here posted the number and said it doesn't hurt to call and ask

http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/16199-spoiler-august-campaign-and-beyond/page-4

Also, when I called, the elder I spoke to said they have received thousands of phone calls regarding the pins from friends all over the world, so I wasn't the only one calling.  When I said I had never spoken to the branch in regards to something and this seemed silly, he replied "no question is silly, that is what we are here for. Feel free to call anytime you have any question"

Service desk handles all inquiries from publishers (elders included) if legal needed to be involved then the service desk would send you there - in my experience.

Soon .....

Yes I did call the branch on this.  I received the idea from this thread where we were discussing the pins previously.  A moderator here posted the number and said it doesn't hurt to call and ask

http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/16199-spoiler-august-campaign-and-beyond/page-4

Also, when I called, the elder I spoke to said they have received thousands of phone calls regarding the pins from friends all over the world, so I wasn't the only one calling.  When I said I had never spoken to the branch in regards to something and this seemed silly, he replied "no question is silly, that is what we are here for. Feel free to call anytime you have any question"

Do you mean to say that you called Today?    .... if so what was the answer to the not silly question?   .... please share Exactly what you were TOLD from the Branch Ava so we can understand the direction given?   ... thank you.

Edited by timpin

Interesting...

I guess it is time.....:)

Edited by TheDoorGuy

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)