JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Lapel pins or tie tacs with JW.ORG

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3480 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Do you mean to say that you called Today? .... if so what was the answer to the not silly question? .... please share Exactly what you were TOLD from the Branch Ava so we can understand the direction given? ... thank you.

This would only be the given Ava, not direction given to the rest of us. As a whole we receive direction through the website terms of use, watchtower, kingdom ministry or our local elders at the meetings and assemblies. The slave or branch will never use an individual to provide direction through a social media site.

Ava is an individual and she called the branch. Now, while their answer to her will be the same as to anyone else that called, such direction to an individual should never be confused with direction to the whole association of brothers.

Elders received a letter that was posted today:  The jw.org logo is a registered trademark.  Used for only printing the logo for display on AH and KH and should not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the branch office.

I just looked at the site and don't see a letter stating that, but perhaps it has not been pushed out for everyone yet.

I'll look again later.

Edit: does it cover all the other images too - like Caleb and Sofia?

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I just looked at the site and don't see a letter stating that, but perhaps it has not been pushed out for everyone yet.

I'll look again later.

Edit: does it cover all the other images too - like Caleb and Sofia?

It should, shouldn't it?  I don't know how all that works, but Caleb and Sofia are no different than Calvin and Hobbs or Charlie Brown and Snoopy in this regard, right?

I was informed about a similar letter about a month ago I believe.

Yep, never saw that either. All I've seen new are just the "terms of use" on the site.
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Perhaps its not a letter your expecting. I don't know but was it not something to do with the use of the logo outside the Kingdom hall. Did that letter not mention something about it. Cannot contact my dad at the moment as he wont be home from the meeting yet. Bear in mind I am recalling something that was mentioned in passing.

Edited by Mykyl

It is specifically addresses the 12' x 12" and the 20" x 20" Kingdom Hall signs and is in regard to the use of that specific that PDF file

I don't see where anything has changed or been added to.

" this file ... should not be used not be used for any other purpose...."  It is the file *********don't use the  file for any thing else.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I think we can expect clarification on all this from the branch.

There are legal reasons to protect a trademark. Do you know that "aspirin" was a registered trademark of Bayer. "Laundromat" was registered by Maytag? These lost legal protection because their owners did not enforce their rights. And we all own a fridgedaire and use kleenex, right? I'm not sure what their legal status is but would think it would be the same. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_trademark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_generic_and_genericized_trademarks

You can bet the brothers are way ahead of us on all this.

Edited by cmcewen

http://theocraticmin...n-magnetic-back

Our design with a globe in background does not violate their rights.

I like the one with the globe. I may have to order a few.

Thanks.

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

Now I have a major question and will be asking the elders about it...A friend of mine bought several of us round buttons that are blue with white letters that say JW.org and we have a rectangle license plate on our car - it's not the exact blue and the letters are air brushed, so it looks slightly different from the JW.org logo. I hope it's not illegal to use such things..... :unsure:  :unsure: :unsure:  Will talk to elders... 

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

Now I have a major question and will be asking the elders about it...A friend of mine bought several of us round buttons that are blue with white letters that say JW.org and we have a rectangle license plate on our car - it's not the exact blue and the letters are air brushed, so it looks slightly different from the JW.org logo. I hope it's not illegal to use such things..... :unsure:  :unsure: :unsure:  Will talk to elders... 

I would strongly recommend asking the branch, or having your elders do the same, since most elders aren't lawyers and might give their personal opinions rather than the decision of the legal department.

I was wondering if any of you friends know of anyone who would custom make a few lapel pins or tie tacs with the JW.ORG logo on them.    I don't know if this would be an infringement on any copyright laws regarding the WB&TS.    (If so please let me know)

My thought was ........... i thought it would be a way of getting jw.org out there more if during the conventions we had lapel pins or tie tacs.  Especially when we go out to eat in the evenings.    It would also promote good conversation starters.   

Then I got to thinking, "Maybe they will have it somewhere on our convention lapel badge."

I would like to have one of both to wear both for the conventions and in the ministry.    Not ones that are so large they look gaudy.   But large enough to be seen clearly .   Anyways...just a passing thought.

Don't pay any attention to me.

ETSY.com has them. I ordered a few and they look really nice.

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

I am aware of all of this.

As I said twice now in regards to the pins, to each their own.  If you want to wear one, wear one.  

When I spoke with the branch, I decided not to wear one based on what they said to me.  My elders/ms are also not wearing them til further instruction from the branch.  

If the branch sends a letter saying "wear the pins everywhere" then I will take mine out of my jewelry box and wear it.

Wow, I wasn't aware of the branch taking personal phone calls based on such a minute topic that could have been handled by our local elders! I guess there's something new to be learned every day!

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

I tell people that the lost teddy bear is minor to you but earth shattering to the three year old child. The lost tennis ball means nothing to you but it is the end of world to the dog. What seems minute to us could be a major concern to others. It is good to remember that the principal way to know that we are disciples of Christ is that we have love among ourselves.

I would strongly recommend asking the branch, or having your elders do the same, since most elders aren't lawyers and might give their personal opinions rather than the decision of the legal department.

Was this "Pin Problem" mentioned at all at the AM?   

...   and for those who were there - or in pictures - was anyone wearing them?

Edited by timpin

Wow, I wasn't aware of the branch taking personal phone calls based on such a minute topic that could have been handled by our local elders! I guess there's something new to be learned every day!

My earlier comments in this thread I said that the suggestion to call the branch came from someone who happens to also be an elder.

Yes, going to your body of elders is fine, but when all the elders have a different opinion on a topic, there is nothing wrong with calling the branch to get clear direction on a matter.

The service dept at the branch receives probably 100's of calls a day with witnesses and non witnesses calling to ask many questions.  That is what they do, they answer questions.  I have known some on this forum who have called asking for the stand on beards on men.  

When I called the branch about the pins, I was told that they had received 1000's of calls from brothers/sisters all over the world asking about the pins, so it apparently is a something that many, many of our brothers/sisters wanted clear direction on.

As to it being a minute matter, well that is a matter of opinion.  We all have different opinions on every thing, and what may not be a big deal for some may be a big deal for others.  

Was this "Pin Problem" mentioned at all at the AM?   

...   and for those who were there - or in pictures - was anyone wearing them?

I highly doubt this topic came up at the AM. 

I am sure if the branch wants to make an announcement regarding the use of JW.Org on pins or other products,  they will send a letter to all the congregations.

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)