JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Sushi NOT! Any Raw Foodist in our group?

Brothers and Sisters, Over the years the slave has encouraged us to be cautious with certain medical treatments and alternative natural lifestyles, and to be balanced in exercise and diet.

Just wondering if anyone has ever attended the Hippocrates Health Institute in W. Palm Beach FL. or any other Ann Wigmore type plant based raw food protocol health center. Last week I attended Dr. Brian Clements presentation on the adverse side affects of our SAD (Standard American Diet), and was shocked at the statistics and the simplicity of reversing life threatening diseases. He quoted Dr.Collin Campbell who published and researched The China Study.

I Have just recently started growing wheat grass, sprouts and microgreens to alkylize and balance my diet, and most of all to reclaim my health.

Just wondering if any one else has gone down this path and if you have any personal experiences with this life style, feel free to PM me.

I tell everyone that I have an allergic reaction to healthy food. If the veggies aren't done right, I refuse to eat them!!! There are veggies that if cooked, I find it an insult because they are better raw.

As far as diet, I am on a "seafood" diet. Basically, any food I see, I eat! I cannot gain or lose weight, no matter what I do!!!

I saw Sushi in your title and was excited. I love sushi, especially with wasabi. Mmmmmmmmmm............. Now I have had some strange food in my life so far, and I am eager to try lots more. I am one of those foodies that will try ANYTHING once, except 2 things: Blood sausage, and blood pudding. Ech....

I've had shark, insects, Prairie Oysters (which are very good!), pig snout. There are lots more I want to try, such as bats, crocs/alligators, roos, snake, and many many more. Figured I would trying to eat these before the new system gets here, cuz we never know if we are gonna eat meat or not. LOL

You gave me a good laugh....I ate everything on a pig,everything on a

chicken, cows liver, soft crabs, hard shell crabs, variety of fish

including whale,dolphin,snake possum.squirrel.,deer, muskrat...the list go

on.

Sandra from Virginia

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 10:04 PM, Micah wrote:

> As far as diet, I am on a "seafood" diet. Basically, any food I see, I eat!

> I cannot gain or lose weight, no matter what I do!!!

> I've had shark, insects, Prairie Oysters (which are very good!), pig snout.

> There are lots more I want to try, such as bats, crocs/alligators, roos,

> snake, and many many more. Figured I would trying to eat these before the

> new system gets here, cuz we never know if we are gonna eat meat or not.

I tell everyone that I have an allergic reaction to healthy food. If the veggies aren't done right, I refuse to eat them!!! There are veggies that if cooked, I find it an insult because they are better raw.

As far as diet, I am on a "seafood" diet. Basically, any food I see, I eat! I cannot gain or lose weight, no matter what I do!!!

I saw Sushi in your title and was excited. I love sushi, especially with wasabi. Mmmmmmmmmm............. Now I have had some strange food in my life so far, and I am eager to try lots more. I am one of those foodies that will try ANYTHING once, except 2 things: Blood sausage, and blood pudding. Ech....

I've had shark, insects, Prairie Oysters (which are very good!), pig snout. There are lots more I want to try, such as bats, crocs/alligators, roos, snake, and many many more. Figured I would trying to eat these before the new system gets here, cuz we never know if we are gonna eat meat or not. LOL

LOVE Sushi Rolls, too. Have only had a few bites of sashimi but will try more. LOVE LOVE LOVE Rocky Mt Oysters, or what you call Prairie Oysters. Prepared right, so delectable. Want to try rattlesnake but having a hard time finding it.

. Want to try rattlesnake but having a hard time finding it.

I've had Western Diamondback, Sidewinder,Timber and Mojave Green Rattlers...no matter how you cook it, what do you know, it still tastes like chicken....only tough and stringy..

I used to live in Southern Calif, went hiking a lot...

Brothers and Sisters, Over the years the slave has encouraged us to be cautious with certain medical treatments and alternative natural lifestyles, and to be balanced in exercise and diet.

Just wondering if anyone has ever attended the Hippocrates Health Institute in W. Palm Beach FL. or any other Ann Wigmore type plant based raw food protocol health center. Last week I attended Dr. Brian Clements presentation on the adverse side affects of our SAD (Standard American Diet), and was shocked at the statistics and the simplicity of reversing life threatening diseases. He quoted Dr.Collin Campbell who published and researched The China Study.

I Have just recently started growing wheat grass, sprouts and microgreens to alkylize and balance my diet, and most of all to reclaim my health.

Just wondering if any one else has gone down this path and if you have any personal experiences with this life style, feel free to PM me.

Hi Michael,

I've just recently started w/frozen wheatgrass....I don't have the press (forgetting the name) to juice wheat grass fresh....I may sometime later. But our local health food store has wheat grass frozen into cubes, I just take out a couple at a time and drink, w/a little added water. I also have the powdered wheat grass, and take about 2 Tbs. a day of that. I also try to eat raw foods everyday, but not soley. Raw foods is meant, I'm sure, as in fruits and vegetables, correct? I have a salad w/mixed w/raw veggies/fruit, some raw nuts everyday. But I haven't been on this long yet....I've read of those who say it is a healthier way to eat. I don't like sushi, my husband and kids love it, we go to a sushi place in cleveland and akron.....I'll have the broiled salmon w/a salad when we do. :) Cooking food without a doubt kills all the live enzymes that help w/digestion, so there is good reason to eat some raw. I don't know if I can go completely raw as some have, but I think striking a balance and eating more raw veggies, fruits will go a long way in helping one in eating a healthier diet. Lot's of people have problems w/gluten (grains such as wheat, barley, rye) in flours and products that are made w/those flours. I have a sensitivity to gluten, but not as bad as someone w/Celiac's disease....they should not have any gluten at all. I have found that if I have it occassionally, such as in an english muffin, or small amount of pasta or bread, but not everyday, I'm okay. Wheatgrass, by the way, is not the same as the grain, wheat. Digestion is better w/eating more raw veggies/fruits, and limiting gluten if you find you have a sensitivity to it helps alot also. Maybe someone who has been eating this way for a long period will respond as to the benefits they've had. :chef:

Hi Sister Karen

A couple of years ago I tried Wheat Grass juice (WG) at Jamba's Juice bar and thought it was disgusting, however the problem was that they give you a shot of orange juice to chase it with and fruits and vegetables do not blend well in our systems but taste great together. Dr.Charles Schnabel initiated and promoted human consumption of WG in the 1940's. Many articles were written in Newsweek, and Time magazines. Dried WG was readily available at your local pharmacy until the late 1950's when Geritol over night replaced WG, Then in the 70's synthetic and natural based vitamins and supplements.

As you know currently there is a movement to Irradate most imported foods and now even raw almonds out of California are being Irradated. Raw foods are best described as still having the life force in them (not fractionated) whole. Any whole seed nut or grain that sprouts is considered raw, however the packaging is very deceiving. Try to sprout your own.

Most enzymes are destroyed within the first 15 minutes of processing. Powdered dry WG is best for traveling, but if you can grow and juice your own organicly it's inexpensive, producing optimal healthl. It's the closest known product to our own hemoglobin. An article in Wheatgrass Nature's finest Medicine was published about a sister in Gainesville FL who's husband battled Colon, Lymph, and liver cancer. Her medical Dr. documented his case as a medical phenomenon. The brothers platelet count was at 61,000 and within 1 week his platelet count rose to 141,000 strictly from using WG juice.

Masticating juicers (low heat-lowspeed) are the best to preserve vitamins and essential enzymes. I use the Lexen electric with the WG auger, and it's inexpensive. Problem is most blenders or juicers cannot masticate the grass blades and just end up clogging up.

Karen you mentioned that most people who cannot tolerate glutten can use WG sucessfully, so true. I also have been sprouting Sunflower, Buckwheat, Alfalfa, Lentils, Mung beans, and Brocoli sprouts. It's an acquired taste with very powerful results. I too am transitioning.

Take Care Sis

Ciao

. Want to try rattlesnake but having a hard time finding it.

I've had Western Diamondback, Sidewinder,Timber and Mojave Green Rattlers...no matter how you cook it, what do you know, it still tastes like chicken....only tough and stringy..

I used to live in Southern Calif, went hiking a lot...

So you found snakes when hiking and then ate them? :D I don't know where to try to find it. There is a restaurant in Denver but they serve it as an appetizer with chipotle sauce and I want to taste the 'chicken' meat! :D What I'd really love is some rattlesnake stew. :o

So you found snakes when hiking and then ate them? :

I want to taste the 'chicken' meat! :D What I'd really love is some rattlesnake stew. :o

Well, yeah, thats kinda how it went.lol....we tried many different recipes, some good, some....well, not so good..

The part about tasting like chicken is sort of a joke...it has a unique taste, but depending on how you cook it is how it tastes....

Teriyaki basted, stuck on a mesquite branch and slow roasted over a campfire while looking at the stars is my favorite....

Sidewinder Stew sounds interesting.......

Hi Sister Karen

A couple of years ago I tried Wheat Grass juice (WG) at Jamba's Juice bar and thought it was disgusting, however the problem was that they give you a shot of orange juice to chase it with and fruits and vegetables do not blend well in our systems but taste great together. Dr.Charles Schnabel initiated and promoted human consumption of WG in the 1940's. Many articles were written in Newsweek, and Time magazines. Dried WG was readily available at your local pharmacy until the late 1950's when Geritol over night replaced WG, Then in the 70's synthetic and natural based vitamins and supplements.

As you know currently there is a movement to Irradate most imported foods and now even raw almonds out of California are being Irradated. Raw foods are best described as still having the life force in them (not fractionated) whole. Any whole seed nut or grain that sprouts is considered raw, however the packaging is very deceiving. Try to sprout your own.

Most enzymes are destroyed within the first 15 minutes of processing. Powdered dry WG is best for traveling, but if you can grow and juice your own organicly it's inexpensive, producing optimal healthl. It's the closest known product to our own hemoglobin. An article in Wheatgrass Nature's finest Medicine was published about a sister in Gainesville FL who's husband battled Colon, Lymph, and liver cancer. Her medical Dr. documented his case as a medical phenomenon. The brothers platelet count was at 61,000 and within 1 week his platelet count rose to 141,000 strictly from using WG juice.

Masticating juicers (low heat-lowspeed) are the best to preserve vitamins and essential enzymes. I use the Lexen electric with the WG auger, and it's inexpensive. Problem is most blenders or juicers cannot masticate the grass blades and just end up clogging up.

Karen you mentioned that most people who cannot tolerate glutten can use WG sucessfully, so true. I also have been sprouting Sunflower, Buckwheat, Alfalfa, Lentils, Mung beans, and Brocoli sprouts. It's an acquired taste with very powerful results. I too am transitioning.

Take Care Sis

Ciao

Hi Brother Michael,

Wow, thankyou for all that info.....it is on my "to do" list to do more research....maybe I can google Dr. Charles Schnabel and read up on him and wheatgrass. I have a film, by a young woman who got cancer.....she had done commericials, and small parts here and there....so when she was diagnosed....she decided to make a documentary on her experience w/cancer, titled "Crazy, Sexy, Cancer." She put the word sexy in there as if using that word, you would get people's attention. She tried many things, educating herself.....and long story short, she started juicing wheatgrass everyday, eating salads, raw foods....and she is now, several years later, a very vibrant young lady. For sure, today's diet lacks the nutrients we need for wellness. And this diet isn't necessarily easy, that I guess is why fast food, is so bad for us......quick and devoid of nutrients, live enzymes, etc. I will look into buying the Lexen electric that you mention. You are farther ahead than I am in this, I thankyou for the info......Sometime in the future I'll give an update.

Agape', Karen :)-D (not beer, but wheatjuice) :)

On the topic of sushi, we have this wonderful Japanese place nearby that cooks the food on a grill that is attached to the table right in front of you. He juggles and twirls his utensils and flips pieces of shrimp and chicken several feet into our mouths while he cooks. Then he does tricks with fire and whatnot. It's really cool.

Anyway, they have a sushi dish called a "catepillar" which has eel inside. My wife spoke up and said, to my surprise, that she wanted to try the eel (mind you, it's like pulling teeth to get her or my kids to try anything different). What she did not take note of was that it was covered in roe. It said so right there on the menu, but she didn't know what it was. She was just focused on the eel part.

So I said sure and we order it and split it and she ate her half all up and loved every bite of it.

While we were walking home, she brought up how good it was, and I was like "Yeah, and even the roe was the perfect touch".

And she says "The what?"

I replied "The little tiny red jelly like balls that were sprinkled over the top. That is called roe."

And she asks "What is roe? What is it?"

I answered "Raw fish eggs".

It was hilarious, you could tell she wanted to scream. But she acknowledged that the "catepillar" sushi was good AND we had it again at a later time.

But had I brought it up *before* ordering it, there would not have been any chance at all of us getting to try any.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

On the topic of sushi, we have this wonderful Japanese place nearby that cooks the food on a grill that is attached to the table right in front of you. He juggles and twirls his utensils and flips pieces of shrimp and chicken several feet into our mouths while he cooks. Then he does tricks with fire and whatnot. It's really cool.

Anyway, they have a sushi dish called a "catepillar" which has eel inside. My wife spoke up and said, to my surprise, that she wanted to try the eel (mind you, it's like pulling teeth to get her or my kids to try anything different). What she did not take note of was that it was covered in roe. It said so right there on the menu, but she didn't know what it was. She was just focused on the eel part.

So I said sure and we order it and split it and she ate her half all up and loved every bite of it.

While we were walking home, she brought up how good it was, and I was like "Yeah, and even the roe was the perfect touch".

And she says "The what?"

I replied "The little tiny red jelly like balls that were sprinkled over the top. That is called roe."

And she asks "What is roe? What is it?"

I answered "Raw fish eggs".

It was hilarious, you could tell she wanted to scream. But she acknowledged that the "catepillar" sushi was good AND we had it again at a later time.

But had I brought it up *before* ordering it, there would not have been any chance at all of us getting to try any.

I LOVE TAPENYAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure of the spelling though.... I can't find a decent one around here.

• 1 year later...

hi Michael sorry to ask what are prairie oysters i.ve not heard of them

i'm now fond of oysters hmmm, i am trying to educate myself. :eat:

gabe

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Hi Pinkpopcorn. Thanks

thanks so much for helping me out. I was just thinking about this subject while bathing my kids

and realized i had heard the term before on a comedy movie. I think it was a chevy chase style.

any how now i am embarrased. oh. i was thinking there any many bravehearts in this world.:chef::omg::ecstatic:

by the way loved your photo's of your daughter. gabe

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

• 2 weeks later...
As far as diet' date=' I am on a "seafood" diet. Basically, any food I see, I eat! I cannot gain or lose weight, no matter what I do!!! I saw Sushi in your title and was excited. I love sushi, especially with wasabi. Mmmmmmmmmm............. Now I have had some strange food in my life so far, and I am eager to try lots more. I am one of those foodies that will try ANYTHING once, except 2 things: Blood sausage, and blood pudding. Ech....[/quote'] Hey Micah, I'm with ya on the "seafood diet".. LoL...:lol2: And the blood sausage thing, YUK!!!:sick: But have you, or anyone else here ever had raw fish, Hawaiian style? It's called "Po'ke" ,pernounced PO-kay.... It's so delicious & can be found in just about every grocery store seafood counter in Hawaii... Always using very fresh fish, mostly Ahi tuna, mixed with an array of different seasonings, it's fun to try them.. And to make it even more spicy you can mix up wasabi & shoyu (soy sauce) & dip as you bite... here's some pics..

88272=4990-poke.jpg And one of my favorites, made with Tako (smoked octopus) AMAZING!!

88272=4991-250px-Tako_Poke.jpg Ok, Now I am craving me some PO'KE!!! :eat: Off to the store~~~:wave:

As far as diet' date=' I am on a "seafood" diet. Basically, any food I see, I eat! I cannot gain or lose weight, no matter what I do!!! I saw Sushi in your title and was excited. I love sushi, especially with wasabi. Mmmmmmmmmm............. Now I have had some strange food in my life so far, and I am eager to try lots more. I am one of those foodies that will try ANYTHING once, except 2 things: Blood sausage, and blood pudding. Ech....[/quote'] Hey Micah, I'm with ya on the "seafood diet".. LoL...:lol2: And the blood sausage thing, YUK!!!:sick: But have you, or anyone else here ever had raw fish, Hawaiian style? It's called "Po'ke" ,pernounced PO-kay.... It's so delicious & can be found in just about every grocery store seafood counter in Hawaii... Always using very fresh fish, mostly Ahi tuna, mixed with an array of different seasonings, it's fun to try them.. And to make it even more spicy you can mix up wasabi & shoyu (soy sauce) & dip as you bite... here's some pics..

88272=4990-poke.jpg And one of my favorites, made with Tako (smoked octopus) AMAZING!!

88272=4991-250px-Tako_Poke.jpg Ok, Now I am craving me some PO'KE!!! :eat: Off to the store~~~:wave:

ALOHA Lynn i tried the japanese version of sashimi love it with soy and wassabi my hubby will catch trevally and do it raw with lemon or lime juice straight up that was ok and a friend from i think its Tonga has done a similar dish with lime juice. corriander a little garlic and chilli and coconut milk, but it a tasted great, MAHALO for the recipe A HUI HOU KAKOU. gabe:boating:

ALOHA Lynn i tried the japanese version of sashimi love it with soy and wassabi my hubby will catch trevally and do it raw with lemon or lime juice straight up that was ok and a friend from i think its Tonga has done a similar dish with lime juice. corriander a little garlic and chilli and coconut milk, but it a tasted great, MAHALO for the recipe A HUI HOU KAKOU. gabe:boating:
Aloha Gabe!! I have tried something like that too! So delicious.... We do have many from Tonga here & with all the varied Polynesian /South pacific islanders as well as asian, Phillipino & spanish influences, we have so many tasty ways to enjoy raw fish!! I just love it! Never imagined I would EVER eat raw fish before moving to Hawaii... It's all so Yummy! :backflip:

Lynnette, what is the name of the Hawaiian or Japaneese dish with small squares of raw salmon mixed in a finely cut up salad? It is common to serve it as pupu. It has been 40 years but I think it is called Lomi Lomi but I could be wrong.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

Lynnette, what is the name of the Hawaiian or Japaneese dish with small squares of raw salmon mixed in a finely cut up salad? It is common to serve it as pupu. It has been 40 years but I think it is called Lomi Lomi but I could be wrong.

Hi Lynn! You're talking about Lomi Lomi Salmon...Good stuff! Here's a recipe.... :chef:

This is an island classic that’s traditionally served at luaus as a side dish, alongside kalua pig. It goes great with roast meats, or even other seafood dishes packing a bunch of flavour with each refreshing bite.

If lomi lomi makes you think of spas, it’s because “lomi” is the Hawaiian word for masseuse and is used in spas to describe a Hawaiian massage. The dish gets it’s name from the way the ingredients are massaged, breaking them up and helping all the flavours meld together. You could of course mix it with a spoon, but it won’t look the same, nor would it be nearly as fun to make:-)

Traditionally the fresh salmon is rubbed with Alaea salt and left overnight to cure, but for the sake of convenience, but you can gravlax from the grocery store. Since you want the sweetest ripest tomatoes and , use cherry tomatoes of possible, but nothing beets a sweet, juicy, vine ripened tomato.

You’re supposed to use Maui sweet onions and green onions, but not everyone can get Maui onions. As for the citrus, it’s a matter of personal preference, but if you want to go for the real deal, skip the citrus.

1 C ripe tomatoes peeled and cut into 1/4″ dice

1 serrano chili pepper finely minced

1/4 C sweet white onions(Maui if avail.) or sweet red onion finely minced

4 oz roughly chopped salted salmon (gravlax will work as well)

Squeeze of lemon or lime

2 Tbs chopped chives or green onions

Add everything except the chives in a bowl and work together with your fingers, breaking up the chunks of salmon as you go. There should be enough salt from the salmon, but add more if it needs it.

Add the chopped green onions/chives and mix in. Allow it to rest for at least an hour and serve.

EnJoY!!!! :eat:

Hi Lynn! You're talking about Lomi Lomi Salmon...Good stuff! Here's a recipe.... :chef:

This is an island classic that’s traditionally served at luaus as a side dish, alongside kalua pig. It goes great with roast meats, or even other seafood dishes packing a bunch of flavour with each refreshing bite.

If lomi lomi makes you think of spas, it’s because “lomi” is the Hawaiian word for masseuse and is used in spas to describe a Hawaiian massage. The dish gets it’s name from the way the ingredients are massaged, breaking them up and helping all the flavours meld together. You could of course mix it with a spoon, but it won’t look the same, nor would it be nearly as fun to make:-)

Traditionally the fresh salmon is rubbed with Alaea salt and left overnight to cure, but for the sake of convenience, but you can gravlax from the grocery store. Since you want the sweetest ripest tomatoes and , use cherry tomatoes of possible, but nothing beets a sweet, juicy, vine ripened tomato.

You’re supposed to use Maui sweet onions and green onions, but not everyone can get Maui onions. As for the citrus, it’s a matter of personal preference, but if you want to go for the real deal, skip the citrus.

1 C ripe tomatoes peeled and cut into 1/4″ dice

1 serrano chili pepper finely minced

1/4 C sweet white onions(Maui if avail.) or sweet red onion finely minced

4 oz roughly chopped salted salmon (gravlax will work as well)

Squeeze of lemon or lime

2 Tbs chopped chives or green onions

Add everything except the chives in a bowl and work together with your fingers, breaking up the chunks of salmon as you go. There should be enough salt from the salmon, but add more if it needs it.

Add the chopped green onions/chives and mix in. Allow it to rest for at least an hour and serve.

EnJoY!!!! :eat:

Aloha Lynette that sounds yummo, i'm on the next flight over do you have a spare chair for me.

mahalo :eat::boating: gabe