JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3219 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I use the term African American.  I do this cause I never who may be offended if I do not use this term.  Yes, that is being politically correct, still, I would rather use that term and not offend anyone.

Just curious, how would you refer to someone who was born and raised in Fiji? How about someone of African descent who is a citizen of Great Britain?

I've not known anyone to be offended by "black", but people who are not American often are offended by the assignment of a wrong nationality.

Just curious, how would you refer to someone who was born and raised in Fiji? How about someone of African descent who is a citizen of Great Britain?

I've not known anyone to be offended by "black", but people who are not American often are offended by the assignment of a wrong nationality.

Well if I met someone who was born in Fiji, I probably wouldn't know it unless they told me and I have no clue what I would call them as I don't meet people from Fiji where I live.  As to someone who is African Descent and a citizen of Great Britain, well never met one and never thought about it so I have no clue.  I guess if I go to Great Britain and meet one, I could ask them what they prefer to be called, lol.

I use the term African American where I live cause as I said earlier, it's safe to do so down here.  Referring to ones where I live as 'black' isn't very popular.

Maybe where you live people don't care if they are called 'black', where I live, it's not a popular thing to say.  There is alot of racism where I live, so I prefer to use the term African American as that is not offensive in my area.  

Edited by ava

This is were the subconscious world comes in. I think the American census started in 1790. Was it because of racial reasons? It seems that way. Let say it was. Yet, 225 years later it still exist,  basically not knowing what is true agenda is all about and we file it every 10 years.

What I told friends lately is that, this is no longer a White America. This county id full of mix people and it will continue to grow even when the next Census pull in 2020.

What? No.  The census was not started because of racial reasons. Every country holds a census so they know how many people live there.  Now, racism has definitely influenced the census over the years.   

Can't remember what year it was, but in the 1800's the US Census did start to include slaves in it's counting.  Prior to that, they were not included.

The problem is that it shouldn't matter what race we are.  The US Census should just count people, our race is not important.  So yes, many view the census as racist.  

As Carlos brought out, in his country, race is not asked.  That is the way it should be. We should not be referring to people as by their skin colors. 

Sadly, asking race in this country is something that started a long time ago when they began to include slaves in the census reporting.  Instead of having labels like HIspanic American, African American, we should all just be American's and our skin color should not matter.  This is something that is common in the US, but not other countries.

Only Jehovah will solve this problem, he never intended for us to be labeled by our skin color. That is something man has done.  We are all just people in Jehovah's eyes.

Can't remember what year it was, but in the 1800's the US Census did start to include slaves in it'

s counting.  Prior to that, they were not included.

Three-Fifths Compromise

The Three-Fifths Compromise was a compromise reached between delegates from southern states and those from northern states during the 1787 United States Constitutional Convention. The debate was over if, and if so, how, slaves would be counted when determining a state's total population for legislative representation and taxing purposes. The issue was important, as this population number would then be used to determine the number of seats that the state would have in the United States House of Representatives for the next ten years. The effect was to give the southern states a third more seats in Congress and a third more electoral votes than they would otherwise have had, allowing the slave interests to largely dominate the government of the United States until 1865.[1] The compromise was proposed by delegates James Wilson and Roger Sherman.

My children have an ancestor that, according to birth certificate was 'white.' Three days later this baby died; the birth certificate said 'colored.' The midwife delivered the baby and filled out the birth record according to her impression of the mother. The father brought the baby to the doctor/mortician, who completed the death certificate according to his observation.  It is a ridiculously divisive ploy of Satan to prevent unity among people. It could have been/ can be; eye color, height, weight, or anything else that can be used as a master-status to promote prejudice. Prejudice is judging, and judgment belongs to Jehovah. It's a world gone mad.  :peace:

Edited by kejedo

Well, I live in the NYCHA and once a year you have to fill out an affidavit to claim you are who you say you are.

Anyway, the form asks for your ethnicity, and though it's optional claiming it wouldn't affect your housing, I always fill it in:

African-Caucasian-Native American. Yes, I'm aware they probably want just one but I just like to have a little fun. :) :)

The African part from my dad, the Caucasian part from my dad (his father is Caucasian, his mother is African American, and the Native American from my mother: Sioux from her mother, Cherokee from her father.

Lol. I'm a mutt!

No,  no, honey. You are Heinz 57!                  :lol1:

What about " white Africans who comes to this country, get citizenship, now they are....wait for it....African Americans. :)

The NAACP stands for the National Association of the Advancement of Colored People. The last I check, white is a color, so, if she wants to president of a charter, she should be. The scene of this world is changing.

Just my 2 cents.

that 2 cents is worth a bundle in here.                      B)

Yes. It is said that she stepped down from being the President. This indicates she was pressured. It also indicates how deeply the hatred is for one race.

On the other hand, however, from a purely academic level, you can kind of understand the hatred...from their level that is. And that is the situation with slavery. But even that, no matter how beyond horrible it was, needs to be looked at why it began.

It began because of a misunderstanding of the prophecy made by Noah to one of his sons. So somehow man (think Satan), figured that since the black race came from Canaan, then all blacks (oops sorry, African Americans) are cursed and should be slaves. Sooo, slavery did not begin with the slave ships. Oh yeah, that is certainly not in the history books. And why should it be? That would interfere with Satan's purpose of keeping everyone in darkness!

Edited by Luezette

Personally I say I'm Heinz 57. Mom's side German from her father, from her mother American Penn. German with English & maybe bit of French thrown in. On my dad's English from his father, Scottish ( English side of border ) from his mother. Maybe some Welsh in there too. Hence "Heinz 57 varieties"

Bye the way - my blue eyes come from my father who is of Brit descent, remnants of my blond hair from mom's German side.

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Well, after my mom and dad divorced, my mom remarried...twice and both husbands were Caucasian.

So you can just imagine my siblings! People, till this day, think we're crazy. I remember one day while in service one of my brothers stopped by the train station we were in and said "when I come back, I'm taking you to lunch." (he worked for transit). So he came back, took me to lunch and that's when the fun really began (I say that because even the sisters looked at me strangely, wondering why I would agree to having lunch with a worldly man. I explained).

Anyway, after we're seated and ordered, an African American couple walks by to their table and said "oh look, a black and white couple." My brother and I looked at each other and we had to muffle our laughs.

We used to get such reactions a lot, more so then than now. As a matter of fact, my mother was often ridiculed. But I think my attitude toward race is due to our mother's own attitude...that a man is a man, a woman is a woman, that is doesn't matter at all, all people are the same. When I began studying, Jehovah confirmed that!

When I married my husb, it was he, my four stepsons, his father and I in our Massachusetts home. My mother's Sicilian Uncle sent me a message that he disowned me. My mother's uncles were darker than my husband, and he never owned me anyway.  HAHA .We were referred to as the black family with a white girl (in my 20s.) My mother was beyond a bigot, she hated everybody, but when my first son was born,she changed her tune. She never changed her position on the Witnesses. I had three boys. All seven of the boys looked differently and have a wide range of  complexion. The oldest of the younger three looks darker than his father and oldest big brother. When the last of the four big boys left home, we moved from Massachusetts to inland Maine. We were the only mixed racial family in the area, and we got plenty of flack for it. My kids were beaten by groups.etc. Plus being the only Jehovah's Witness Children, well you can just imagine. Since most people saw me and the three youngest together, we were referred to by some as the white family with a black boy and, of course many other more unflattering slurs.) Harda bleeve.  :shrugs:

Well, I live in the NYCHA and once a year you have to fill out an affidavit to claim you are who you say you are.

Anyway, the form asks for your ethnicity, and though it's optional claiming it wouldn't affect your housing, I always fill it in:

African-Caucasian-Native American. Yes, I'm aware they probably want just one but I just like to have a little fun. :) :)

The African part from my dad, the Caucasian part from my dad (his father is Caucasian, his mother is African American, and the Native American from my mother: Sioux from her mother, Cherokee from her father.

Lol. I'm a mutt!

When I filled out the 2000 census form, and I got to the 'Race' part, I was tempted to write in 'Human.'  I decided not to be so forward, and instead opted for 'Anglo-Irish.'  ;)

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

When I was young, if asked the race question, I also always answered "human." After my marriage we became, 'bi-racial,' 'multi-ethnic,' 'bi-cultural,' and any number of titles that were in vogue, by others, at any

given time. Stop the insanity. My husb (still not in the truth) was a chairman of the New England Branch NAACP many decades ago. The branch secretary at that time was white. Not that it matters and "Not that

there's anything wrong with that." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M5G2nWP3xY.

Awe Luz, and Pauline I can concur! 

1) My mom is native american/african american, most of her family look VERY native american. However, she herself is blonde, and light skinned. Her two little brothers, both very dark. One with kinky hair (ie very black/African american looking). When she was a teenager, she would drive them around, and the bigots would ask her why she was driving little "n"'s around. I remember one particular gas station that told her that, it was only 2 blocks from our house, and I remember when I was little asking why we never went to that gas station... and that was her answer. 

2) My mom and dad divorced when I was very young. My dad is Mexican. He married a caucasian. She had three children with my father, but had a hard time having children and wanted more. So they adopted 7 children, one who is black, native american, and mexican, and 6 from Haiti (ie black). When I married, my husband's father was very against our wedding and forbid my husband to invite their family. cause a divorce would just be embarrassing. I didn't know til after our wedding, why my husband kept saying no there wanst any one on his side to invite... ARG! Any how... first the dj at the wedding. Told my side to get on one side of the dance floor and my husbands on the other. (my husband is black). The DJ naturally thought all the black people were on my husbands side of the family. But, nope those were my families! lol And so... every one got on my side of the floor and only him, and his parents on his side... the DJ was very confused! lol haha His little party game was kind of a flop! lol haha (we were all supposed to dance with some one from the other side of the family). Next when we moved to my husbands congregation in NYC (me from Kansas). People would come to our home and see our wedding pics, and ask who this or that was. And I would be like, oh those are my little brothers/sisters... um heather, don't you mean your husbands little brothers/sisters. No, he's a only child, those are mine... they would look at the pics (black children) and look at me (light skinned native american looking).... and go back and forth for a minute... lol always funny. My FIL hated it!!! He would get so upset, tell them Heather! Yes, my siblings are adopted... but who cares... My MIL and FIL had a big problem for many years about my siblings being adopted. Even to the point of saying they would molest my children cause they weren't related. ARG... I almost vomitted, and probably was the maddest I had ever been at them. But... any how... racism indeed goes both ways... as it is pre judging and, just dumb.

Awe Luz, and Pauline I can concur! 

1) My mom is native american/african american, most of her family look VERY native american. However, she herself is blonde, and light skinned. Her two little brothers, both very dark. One with kinky hair (ie very black/African american looking). When she was a teenager, she would drive them around, and the bigots would ask her why she was driving little "n"'s around. I remember one particular gas station that told her that, it was only 2 blocks from our house, and I remember when I was little asking why we never went to that gas station... and that was her answer. 

2) My mom and dad divorced when I was very young. My dad is Mexican. He married a caucasian. She had three children with my father, but had a hard time having children and wanted more. So they adopted 7 children, one who is black, native american, and mexican, and 6 from Haiti (ie black). When I married, my husband's father was very against our wedding and forbid my husband to invite their family. cause a divorce would just be embarrassing. I didn't know til after our wedding, why my husband kept saying no there wanst any one on his side to invite... ARG! Any how... first the dj at the wedding. Told my side to get on one side of the dance floor and my husbands on the other. (my husband is black). The DJ naturally thought all the black people were on my husbands side of the family. But, nope those were my families! lol And so... every one got on my side of the floor and only him, and his parents on his side... the DJ was very confused! lol haha His little party game was kind of a flop! lol haha (we were all supposed to dance with some one from the other side of the family). Next when we moved to my husbands congregation in NYC (me from Kansas). People would come to our home and see our wedding pics, and ask who this or that was. And I would be like, oh those are my little brothers/sisters... um heather, don't you mean your husbands little brothers/sisters. No, he's a only child, those are mine... they would look at the pics (black children) and look at me (light skinned native american looking).... and go back and forth for a minute... lol always funny. My FIL hated it!!! He would get so upset, tell them Heather! Yes, my siblings are adopted... but who cares... My MIL and FIL had a big problem for many years about my siblings being adopted. Even to the point of saying they would molest my children cause they weren't related. ARG... I almost vomitted, and probably was the maddest I had ever been at them. But... any how... racism indeed goes both ways... as it is pre judging and, just dumb.

I don't really like it, but I can feel it.  :(

My point was that it's useless to ask what is your race is if you cannot use that information for anything. Probably there was a time when one's race was directly related to the rights one could have. At that time it made sense to ask race, but not anymore.

It's like asking your favorite color. They could prepare statistics such as: color preference of Warwick's population is 10 percent green, 13 percent red, 20 percent blue, 25 percent purple, 32 percent N/A. It can be done, but what use for it?

Asking your age, gender, language and so on can serve a useful purpose. Asking race does not IMO.

By the way, my friend Jacob was very offended when he came to Spain because everybody said he was "negro". For him that was the worst thing you could call a black person. But no one was insulting him, "negro" is our word for "black"! :lol:

Edited by cvillarrubia

You're right Carlos about how useless it is for asking about a person's race. But here there is still housing, job, etc discrimination. As a matter of fact, there have been laws enacted to, supposedly, prevent that.

Unfortunately though, discrimination still happens in those areas. Whatcha gonna do huh? We know. Just continue praying for Jehovah's kingdom.

Carlos America, is only not racist in name, not in deed. There is little ways that racism is still alive and well here, and knowing the color of your skin is a way to continue it. 

If you live in a poor black/hispanic neighborhood, you will not get proper grocery stores, you will have more like a gas station, or I don't know what you would call it in Spain, but not a real grocery store, they are called bodegas here... it's very tiny, very limited, to mainly things that can be stored on shelves for long periods of time, not fresh/healthy foods. My mom's neighborhood has went to that. When I was growing up there was approximately 10 grocery stores in the neighborhood. (with in a 2 mile radius). I was just there tonight, and looking around at all the broken down, stores, there is now only one grocery store in the area-for more like a 10 mile or more area now, not just 2 mile. The other places, are bodegas, and pay day loans (might as well call them loan sharks), liquor stores, etc. now. Grocery stores even want your race when they do surveys here... and yes... they close them down in the poor black/hispanic neighborhoods... it's a way of control, and racism at it's root... stop the food flow, and you stop the health of the community.. and kill them slowly. These two races have the most diabetes, and heart disease. Not to mention the Native Americans, who have been shoved to unlivable lands, where nothing grows, and the lands the white man didn't want. No jobs, no money coming in, living in shacks, in out and out poverty... liquor stores, etc... and then people condemn because they have brought in casinos to make money on these lands... in areas that are desperately needing drug/alcohol and gambling intervention. Not to mention also needing healthy foods, as they have been given junk to eat as a subsidy for their land. So they are also in the lead with the hispanics and blacks as the top three races here for diabetes, and heart disease. Mainly diet related.

When I lived in NYC, I had to travel to Long Island (not one of the borrows of NYC) to go to healthy grocery stores, there was a couple in brooklyn and queens, but not much. Most people didn't have the luxury of traveling that far for food. And their drs would send them home with "diets" for their health needs, and they would be like, exactly where are we to get these foods? They are not sold in our neighborhoods! Especially in Manhattan, in say Harlem-majority black and hispanic. Mt. Sinea Hospital, and the Apollo Theater are working on the issue. But, seriously the racism is so deep in the USA, it will take the new system to cure this problem.

Everyone always forgets that the native Americans and they were treated just as bad if not worse. Satan is a terrible ruler!!!

Tell about me it sis. On my Native American side, I have distant and probably close relatives don't want to deal as being Native American. Plus, you have others view us or them as being trash.