JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Armageddon Brewmeister Not afraid to rip up the rule book!

Armageddon touted as the worlds strongest Brew! :eek: Two inherently Scottish Pals got together and set out to brew up the worlds strongest beer! Imagine their surprise when customers started complaining that the beer wasn't strong enough!  APV 65% and $96. per bottle!

So in true entrepreneurial spirit Lewis Shand and John Mckenzie decided to up the game. Their latest is 67.5% strong 'Snake Venom beer'. The world's strongest at $80. per bottle, tastes like alcohol, whiskey and hops. It is not advisable to drink more than 35ml.of this beer in one setting.   :perplexed:   ::o     :perplexed:          

I've done capillary electrophoresis on a couple of different wine types to determine the sulphite concentrations, and I've thought of blending my own wines.

Never done anything with beer though, but it could happen ;)

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ed052p329 

Brewing beer is a geek's greatest hobby. There are so many different nerdy concepts at work here. It's just fun. You should give it a try for sure. Assuming it's legal where you live. 

I have a buddy coming to stay for a weekend, he's bringing a wine making set up and getting me started with beer making. Dad and I used to make beer when I was 12 or so. It was very old fashioned, nothing like they do now. We had it in a crock with a towel for a lid. Each afternoon I would carefully skim off the 'foam' on top. I think it sat for 2 weeks or so then we bottled it. I guess it's just naturally fermented, like I do my veg during the summer. So good for you I guess.

It was some powerful hooch though, dad used to offer a glass or 2 of beer to a friend when they came to visit....by the fourth one he was sleeping on the couch! 

Made some good beef too. We'd give the steer a bottle every night for about oh, 3 weeks or better. (He'd stumble around for a while! Funny to watch.) But the beef was so sweet and delicious. (sorry vegetarians, but Jehovah said yes.) 

I love homemade anything, well except moonshine- gag, way too strong.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Cheryl, if you want I will send my recipe for Apple Pie moonshine.  Or peach cobbler shine. I do not like strong drinks but this is delicious.  Leave it alone for three weeks and it is smooth.  You wonder if there is alcohol in it.  My sister and I poured a tea tumble full when I made it the first time (we had been out mowing and weed eating) it was a hot August day and came in for a cold drink.  I don't know why I poured a tumbler full but any who we sat down to cool off.  We drank it down quickly to cool off and she looked at me and said "Did you put any alcohol in that?"  I said I thought I did, lets get another glass.  We both went to stand up and it was like someone used Velcro to tie us down.  We could not stand up for nothing.  We tried again, our legs were totally not working.  We just sat there and giggled.   Later we had the best sleep of our life that night.  No more sister to share those times with...

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Cheryl, if you want I will send my recipe for Apple Pie moonshine.  Or peach cobbler shine. 

Just send me your address, I'll come get some  :D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Leslie, I'll grab Richard and wife, he's only in CA for goodness sake, and we'll come visitin'. We'll stay for a while and help mow and weed eat and share your 'shine. Oh I would if I had the chance!!

Ok so for the recipe, send it my way. You have my number and email. I'm on pins and needles!! I'm trying to be more self sufficient and simple in eating and drinking. If I can make it I will.

Will let you know how the beer and wine turn out. Richard, you and the wife could meet me and try my  Liebfraumilch and Gewürztraminer.

I guess that's the kind I'll be making. Love that kind. And I guess each batch makes about 24 bottles. Ummm so excited.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 1 750ml bottle of 190 proof Everclear – If you can’t get Everclear in your state, high proof vodka can work also.
  • About 1 cup of Captain Morgan Spiced Rum – Two cups tastes pretty good also… just saying.
  • 1 Gallon Apple Cider
  • 1 Quart Apple Juice
  • 3 Cups of Brown Sugar
  • 1 Cup of White Sugar
  • 10 Cinnamon Sticks
  • 1 Large Stock Pot
  • 6 Mason Jars (Quart-sized)

Get a huge stock pot and bring your apple cider and apple juice with the sugars to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.  Add 1 T vanilla (not shown in ingredient list) and the cinnamon sticks.  Let simmer about 10 mins.  Let cool to room temperature so as not to evaporate the alcohol when added.  Then add the spiced rum and preferably Everclear if your state sells it (190 proof)--if not a good vodka.  Pour it into mason jars and screw on lids and refrigerate for at least three weeks.  I have added Pecan Pie liquour by PIEHOLE to this too and it is also excellent. 

Enjoy!

LeslieDean

Oh man, that is so doable! I am all over it. MH will love the PIEHOLE. Right up his alley. Let ya know.

Oh and yes I can get Everclear here. 

Edited by bagwell1987

Oh man, that is so doable! I am all over it. MH will love the PIEHOLE. Right up his alley. Let ya know.

Oh and yes I can get Everclear here. 

Don't skimp!  Add the whole bottle of PieHole! :raspberry: Yummy!

LeslieDean

I remember as a child my mom would make a homemade pie crust and fill it with pecans and the karo syrup  filling like for a pecan pie,  then layer it with  with sliced fresh apples, spices and sugar. It was a huge royal blue,  deep dish pie plate with ruffled edges.  This pie looked like it was 6 inches tall.  it was like having two pies rolled into one.  She would also make coconut cream with meringue on top.  I love it with meringue instead of whip cream.

LeslieDean

Will let you know how the beer and wine turn out. Richard, you and the wife could meet me and try my  Liebfraumilch and Gewürztraminer.

That sounds like fun!

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

When you understand the chemistry behind brewing this is truly an amazing feat. There is a logical biochemical reason most beer tops out at around 10%.

I know of no yeast that can produce such a high percentage of alcohol.. So they must be using a distillation process.. To get close to 70 percent.. At 70 percent it becomes a disinfectant... It will kill most things except prions

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

I know of no yeast that can produce such a high percentage of alcohol.. So they must be using a distillation process.. To get close to 70 percent.. At 70 percent it becomes a disinfectant... It will kill most things except prions

Well if you use a distillation process it is no longer classified as beer. I would imagine it is a lot of feeding, racking, and re-pitchng. Yeast will happily give you all the alcohol you want as long as there are plenty of fermentable. The problem comes when you consider that yeast can only produce alcohol when it's under stress which will eventually kill the yeast. So, at some point healthy yeast need to be introduced in order to continue the fermentation process. Sounds like a whole lot of work for beer, when it's just as easy to go buy a nice scotch to go with a lower alcohol beer. 

I don't understand enough about chemistry.  But Everclear is 190 proof or 95% alcohol by volume.  I just did a quick internet search and one site says it is sold in every state but not 190 proof--151 proof. 

LeslieDean

They have some genetically modified yeast that can get as high as 50 percent... This must be some super duty yeast... Or combination of yeasts.. No wonder it is so expensive....

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

I don't understand enough about chemistry.  But Everclear is 190 proof or 95% alcohol by volume.  I just did a quick internet search and one site says it is sold in every state but not 190 proof--151 proof. 

It's sold here at the full 190 proof. Maybe it has to do with local regulations. I am not a fan of pure grain alcohol myself. I drink mostly for the experience and not for the deleterious effects. But, beer and spirits are made using different processes. And for those who are not up on the chemistry a quick primer of beer chemistry. 

https://youtu.be/h13uShnYfGc?list=PLTve54sz-eh-I4N1VmmskFrW9CS65iUiM

They have some genetically modified yeast that can get as high as 50 percent... This must be some super duty yeast... Or combination of yeasts.. No wonder it is so expensive....

Wow, I must've missed that yeast. But, according to the brewer's they were going for alcohol content and not a nice flavor profile, so who knows what kinda awful things they did to this poor beer. 

Well if you use a distillation process it is no longer classified as beer. I would imagine it is a lot of feeding, racking, and re-pitchng. Yeast will happily give you all the alcohol you want as long as there are plenty of fermentable. The problem comes when you consider that yeast can only produce alcohol when it's under stress which will eventually kill the yeast. So, at some point healthy yeast need to be introduced in order to continue the fermentation process. Sounds like a whole lot of work for beer, when it's just as easy to go buy a nice scotch to go with a lower alcohol beer. 

By comparison, whiskeys are typically between 40 and 50 percent APV. Brewmeisters tweak the  process, by using smoked peat malt, and both beer yeast and champagne yeast, and freezing the fermentation process.

Wow, I must've missed that yeast. But, according to the brewer's they were going for alcohol content and not a nice flavor profile, so who knows what kinda awful things they did to this poor beer. 

The brewers recommend drinking Snake Venom and Armageddon in small quantities rather like 'a fine Brandy' !    :D