JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Well well well I finally got it...the point that is.

I'm referring to the go bag. How many times must Jehovah drill it in our (mine) heads, thru the slave, to get one in case of an emergency? Oh I had one, half filled but that was about it as far as responsibility was concerned. Wanna know what happened that made me go "duh"? This: bedbugs vs the elders. Sounds strange huh? Let me explain.

I'm on my way to the hall yesterday evening. So far so good right? Right. But during the day I received phone calls with an area code not familiar. I ignored it. I get to the hall and lo and behold! First thing noticed was a sign on one of the classroom doors "Do Not Enter. Hazardous." Whatttt? A brother mentioned it's asbestos but i didn't really believe that otherwise no one could enter the hall right? (one of you good people here straighten me out with the asbestos thing please).

So anyway a sister pops out of the main hall with the announcement that there's no meeting! Whattt? What happened?

Bedbugs! Yep y'all read that right! Bedbugs. Now back to the phone.

Everyone (actually only five of us were there) was complaining that none of the brothers called. Yet I found that kinda weird. Then someone said "I got a message"! Yep from one of the brothers saying there'll be no meeting and why. Then it hit me! Maybe...could it have been...perhaps. So I checked my phone and boom! There was my group service leader with not one but FOUR messages saying there was no meeting and why. When I got home there he was again on my voice mail with the same message! Oh-my-good-ness! Silly, silly me!

Lesson learned (at least for me. Not saying for anyone else): Answer the phone! Even if I don't recognize the number!

Now. What has this to do with the go bag I can heard you all screaming at me about. Lol.

This: The situation above proved to me that we can't afford to be lackadaisical about what we (I) need to do. Get it ready! Just like I didn't answer the phone because I didn't recognize the number things happen. For instance, during the GT or anything for that matter, the elders aren't able to get in touch with us for whatever reason (not important), and they have to get another brother to call, a brother in another area (who knows?), what then? Refuse to answer because i don't recognize the number? Silly. Not wise. Etc.

So anything can happen and it will as we get deeper and deeper to the end.

Get the go bag ready! Keep the elders abreast about your phone numbers, etc. I'm not saying this to instruct but out of love.

Lesson learned!

(one of you good people here straighten me out with the asbestos thing please).

Asbestos was used for years as an insulator, it was in ceiling tiles, floor tiles, wrapped around pipes, lots of stuff. It isn't a problem unless it gets disturbed and becomes airborne, referred to as being friable. If the air borne fibers are inhaled they get lodged in the lungs and may cause cancer. That's the short explanation of why you don't enter an area where asbestos may be disturbed. Keep in mind that removing existing asbestos can cause more issues than it prevents it's generally left alone.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I got my Go Bag ready.It is full of pain pills and chocolate. Hopefully some stronger medicine will be added soon. Who knows, I might be a high going through the GT. Who knows,I might floating through the GT. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

What ever it takes. Float, fly or walk, but by all means make it through!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I got my Go Bag ready.It is full of pain pills and chocolate. Hopefully some stronger medicine will be added soon. Who knows, I might be a high going through the GT. Who knows,I might floating through the GT. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Dusty, I have been searching for some chocolate covered pain pills for you but alas, I haven't any except possibly the pill Miracle Max made in The Princess Bride and I don't think that is being mass produced..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Dusty, I have been searching for some chocolate covered pain pills for you but alas, I haven't any except possibly the pill Miracle Max made in The Princess Bride and I don't think that is being mass produced..

Pot pills can be helpful. I turn down pot, Norco and I will turn down morphine unless a doctor does it. But it is up to her or him.

I still won't answer numbers I don't recognize. The nice thing about brothers and sisters is they always leave a message about what they called about if you don't answer - telemarketer's usually won't. So if I don't answer the phone either at home or with my cell, I always watch and wait to see if a message is left or if a voicemail comes in. So far, the method has been a complete success for me.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

• 1 month later...

O.K. Margaret, what would you like to tell us about our Go bags that would be helpful? I'm all ears! I even bought a newly revised NWT pocket size for my 'to go' bag. Made copies of all my credit cards, insurance papers, birth certificate, No Blood card, titles to my vehicles, etc. Has anyone found a tool or something else that would be pretty handy to have in your 'to go' bag? (and yes, got my 24 in 1 pocket tool too! haha!)

I have read that starving populations have been nourished with plumpy'nut, a peanut butter and powered milk mix. I have powdered milk in foil packs and may

look for peanut butter in alternate containers (not glass jars) for an emergency food that will not weigh down my Go bag.

Edited by kejedo

I have a list that our elders passed out for us. Here's what's on it:

1)Copy of your important documents in a water proof container. (Insurance cards, copy of birth certificate, deeds, photo I.D.'s, etc)

2) Extra set of car and house keys

3) Credit and ATM cards and cash, especially in small denominations. (ATM's may not be available in an emergency. Keep at least $50.00-$100.00 on hand)

4) Bottled water and non-perishable food such as energy or granola bars.

5) Flashlight, transistor AM/FM radio and extra batteries.

6) Medication for at least one week and other essential personel items. (Be sure to change medications before they expire.)

7) First-aid kit.

8) Sturdy, comforable shoes, lightweight rain gear and a mylar blanket.

9) Contact and meeting place information for your household.

10) Child care supplies and other special care items.

These are BASIC DISASTER SUPPLIES to put in a KIT:

1)Three-day supply of non-perishable food

2) Three-day supply of water-one gallon of water per person, per day.

3) Portable, battery operated radio or television and extra batteries.

4)Flashlight and extra batteries.

5) First aid kit and manual.

6) Sanitation and hygiene items (moist towelettes and toilet paper)

7) Matches and waterproof container.

8) Extra clothing.

9) Whistle

10) Kitchen accessories and cooking utensils, including a can opener.

11) Photocopies of credit and identification cards.

12) Cash and coins

13) Special needs items, such as prescription medications, eye glasses, contact lens solutions, and hearing aid batteries.

14) Items for infants, such as formula, diapers, bottles and pacifiers

15) Other items to meet your unique family needs.

If you live in a cold climate, you must think about warmth. It is possible that you will not have heat. Think about your clothing and bedding supplies. Be sure to include one complete change of clothing and shoes per person, including:

1) Jacket or coat

2) Long pants

3) Long sleeve shirt

4) Sturdy shoes

5) Hat, mittens, and scarf

6) Sleeping bag or warm blanket (per person)

VITAL DOCUMENTS

Keep the following important papers in a fireproof safe or away from the home in a secure location. A safe-deposit box costs little but can save you a huge headache. Remember, fire and wind both destroy documents and memories.

1) Insurance Policies

2) Proof of Residence (deed or lease)

3) Birth and Marriage Certificates

4) Passports

5) Social Security Cards

6) Copy of Driver's License

7) Bank and Credit Card information

8) Wills ,deeds, copies of recent tax returns

9) Home inventory

There is a lot more information but I've just given the basics here, it should give you a good start in deciding what you would need to have in your bag in case of a disaster.

I have read that starving populations have been nourished with plumpy'nut, a peanut butter and powered milk mix. I have powdered milk in foil packs and maylook for peanut butter in alternate containers (not glass jars) for an emergency food that will not weigh down my Go bag.

Yes, that is my big thing too - food that can sustain us but not weight down the "to go" bag! Wish we could buy those army foods that last 25 years and come in the foil bags.

Yes, that is my big thing too - food that can sustain us but not weight down the "to go" bag! Wish we could buy those army foods that last 25 years and come in the foil bags.

There are a lot of sites that sell MREs. Do a search for MRE (Meal Ready to Eat)

Not sure have an army surplus around here, but I will have to do some digging on the internet. Tired of throwing out our "to go" bag food every year and replacing it.

Sams Club cells them around here and I have seen them on ebay and amazon too.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Not sure have an army surplus around here, but I will have to do some digging on the internet. Tired of throwing out our "to go" bag food every year and replacing it.

Can't you just eat it?

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13