JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I learn something new every day

Choctaw was from the north of Mississippi. Andrew HITLER Jackson pushed and killed them off their land. But, the chocolate side, that might lead to something. What is so, interesting about PA, is the my GGGG grandfather and his father was from there and they were Cherokees. But the problem is that Cherokees were not from there, but I did research that says otherwise,

Also, I did some research for a sister from another congregation, She told me that she was Powhatan tribe. But I told her that she might not be from that tribe because there were at least 33 tribes that join him and his tribe. So, many might think that they from the Powhatan tribe might be from the the other 33 tribes, But I did some deep research for her. and that is where she was from (Brunswick County, Virginia) that there were another tribe from that region in the 1600 and the 1700,  their  were Saponi tribe were from there and the band was Occaneechi. So, there is a lot of things to learn about in the NW.

Where my Dad was from in Southern Colorado, his Dad (My Grandfather) used to be "land poor" - he owned a vast area of land but they really had no money.

One of my Uncles double mortgaged the bulk of the land and robbed the family of any money that would come from selling the land.

That aside, in one area that used to belong to my Grandfather there is a small canyon that now bears his/our last name.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

My Birth Certificate Dad was Mi'kmac (said Mick-maw) from Nova Scotia. He hailed from Purcell's Cove (my maiden name Purcell).  

My grandmother's maiden name was Custer...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Purcell's cove became "the little place that Helped build Halifax City." My grandfather Mark Purcell played semi-pro Hockey. Purcell's Cove is now considered part of Halifax. On April 14, 1912, the Titanic was sinking. Halifax had the grim task of sending out a steam-driven cable ship MacKay Bennett to search for bodies. On April 26, the MacKay Bennett (the death ship) returned to Halifax. Of the 209 bodies brought to Halifax, 59 were identified and sent "home." 150 victims would remain in the Halifax area of Canada forever. At the Fairview Lawn Cemetery. the gravestones of the Titanic victims were arranged in the shape of the bow of a ship. Decades later, it was found that the bow of the wreck of the Titanic was facing the same way. 

Originally posted by kejedo

.....150 victims would remain in the Halifax area of Canada forever. At the Fairview Lawn Cemetery. the gravestones of the Titanic victims were arranged in the shape of the bow of a ship. Decades later, it was found that the bow of the wreck of the Titanic was facing the same way.

Now that's something I've learned today!

At one time there was a tale about a light-house keeper in charge of Mauger's Beach, Purcell's Cove. He had married into the Purcell family. One day he traveled across the harbor to Herring Cove. While there he had an accident and, unfortunately, injured one of his legs. This leg was amputated and was buried at Herring Cove. He returned to his job as light-house keeper of Mauger's Beach. So goes the tale, of all the ships that sailed in and out of Halifax Harbor at that time: They sailed between the legs of one of my 'relatives.' 

Edited by kejedo

So what have you learned that was new?

We've seen a dozen or more threads on which you've told us of an Indian heritage?

That would not be such a unique thing, you know. Plenty of early settlers mingled with native peoples, it happened in my family too.

Thank you for these questions and I should been more specific because more diverse or were are, then more complex we get and that is the beauty of Jehovah's creation/ My niece would be a descendant of the tribe of my sister in which it might be Cherokee tribe. However, her dad is Black and Choctaw Native  American tribe;..

I am not sure completely what is in my line.

I know I have Swedish, Norwegian and English on my Mother's side and English, German and French on my Father's side. But, we think there may also be some Native American on my Dad's side as well.

My wife has Scottish and some Native American, so my kids have quite a mixture.

Oh, we also have quite a bit of the line of Noah in us .............................

I am not sure completely what is in my line.

I know I have Swedish, Norwegian and English on my Mother's side and English, German and French on my Father's side. But, we think there may also be some Native American on my Dad's side as well.

My wife has Scottish and some Native American, so my kids have quite a mixture.

Oh, we also have quite a bit of the line of Noah in us .............................

Congratulations my brother and welcome to the real world too. If so, what part of the country would your Native American came from? it's location might give an indication your tribe might be. I might add, dig deep my brother. It might be frustrating, but the joy behind it is awesome because you will learn a lot too.

Edited by Dustparticle

Before my mom died, she told me that one of my great grandmother's on her side was full-blooded Indian.  I wish I knew more about her.  I don't even know what area she came from or what tribe she belonged to.    

There is some things that you you can do that might do to help you. Try to get her birth record, talk to her family side, any native american name and tribe comes up. I got some to post to you sis.

Congratulations my brother and welcome to the real world too. If so, what part of the country would your Native American came from? it's location might give an indication your tribe might be. I might add, dig deep my brother. It might be frustrating, but the joy behind it is awesome because you will learn a lot too.

I don't understand this comment.

It seems to me that no matter what a person's heritage is, this world is what it is. My heritage does not make the world more or less real.

It also seems to me that learning any of my heritage, weather it be the Swedish, the Norwegian or some of the other portion would bring the same amount of "joy" as any other portion.

And, since ALL the races came from Adam by way of Noah, I don't see why any particular portion should/would/could be any better to know than any other portion.

It is my future I am more concerned with, not the past of my ancestors.

I don't understand this comment.

It seems to me that no matter what a person's heritage is, this world is what it is. My heritage does not make the world more or less real.

It also seems to me that learning any of my heritage, weather it be the Swedish, the Norwegian or some of the other portion would bring the same amount of "joy" as any other portion.

And, since ALL the races came from Adam by way of Noah, I don't see why any particular portion should/would/could be any better to know than any other portion.

It is my future I am more concerned with, not the past of my ancestors.

I'm sorry you misunderstood me. What I meant "welcome to real world" is that no matter what we are is that someone throws a wrench into it and that is Satan. When I did my research on my Native American side there was brick walls. The reason why is because of prejudice.  And believe me I talked to people in the world and some in the truth and they felt the same way too.

Yes, we all need to be concern about ourselves in the future. but don't forget about your ancestors, they will be there too. So,  in the New World, "welcome in the real world" will be some who is white are going to find out that , one of their ancestor was darker than him or her. And that goes for a black person too. Some of them are going to find out that one of their ancestor was white. Oh, what a wonderful world - Louis Armstrong.

I enjoy learning the ancestry of congregations and K H ‘s. For example, in my new congregation I found out about the location of the past 3 K H ‘s. The earliest of those was a bar converted to K H . When that was sold, two sisters bought it and moved it elsewhere & made it into a home. Now the person who owns the home is a D N C .

It is always enjoyable to talk to ones who have been around awhile.