JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Syrian Refugees

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3075 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

A young elder from my congregation quoted this scripture in this context while in service with me.

Haggai 2:7  “‘And I will shake all the nations, and the precious things of all the nations will come in; and I will fill this house with glory,’ says Jehovah of armies.

Does sound like what is happening, doesn't it.

I really dislike the situation that is developing for several, self-centered reasons. A fair percentage of these people will be extremely wicked.

But I've decided to ignore them and do my job and go out and collect Jehovah's precious things.

A young elder from my congregation quoted this scripture in this context while in service with me.

/quote]

Interestingly, this is the VERY scripture (Haggai 2:7) that the Wallkill speaker quoted during the Sunday morning public discourse held at our regional convention in July. {Looking at my notes...} In summary he said that while worldly artwork still portrays Jesus as a baby in a manger or a frail, solemn weak person, this actually affects how people currently see him. Thus, how the world sees him is a FAR cry from the Bible's portrayal--namely as a teacher, a man of action; a mighty, powerful world conqueror!

(Rev. 6:2) Jesus is pictured sitting on a white horse conquering and in these last days, "the nations will be rocked" during his conquest! Then the speaker bellowed: "NO ONE CAN STOP THE CHRIST!!" They tried to stop him in Nazi Germany--but failed! "They tried to stop the Christ in Malawi--but failed!" The bottom line is, Jesus Christ was with the Apostle Paul through his trial and tribulations, (2Tim. 4:17) so he will be with us as well."

My thought: Jesus continues his conquest and I truly believe we will see an increase of those in the Arab region thirsting and hungry for spiritual truths. It is Jehovah's will that these Syrian refugees know Him and his son, so He will give them that opportunity. Praise Jah!

I really dislike the situation that is developing for several, self-centered reasons. A fair percentage of these people will be extremely wicked.

I question your self centered reasoning. Isn't being self the same as being selfish? Can you state your reason to believe that the 'fair percentage' will be higher than the 'fair percentage' applied to other ethnic groups?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I question your self centered reasoning. Isn't being self the same as being selfish? Can you state your reason to believe that the 'fair percentage' will be higher than the 'fair percentage' applied to other ethnic groups?

You remind me of all the politically correct knee-jerk actors in my local community aid group. I never stated that the "fair percentage" would be higher than the "fair percentage" from ethnic groups. You implied that. Then again, there is a reason why crime statistics vary from country to country, and city to city. Among other things, not every "group" has the same world view, view on women, ethics, stealing, honour killings, rape. If you don't believe me, why not move with your wife to Kapstadt, South Africa? I hear the weather is lovely there.

As pertains my selfish motives, there's no need to question them, since they are indeed selfish. For example, I worry that if a refugee home were to be built near the house my family owns we would deal with diminished land value. Selfish motive indeed, but you still consider these things when in a mad crisis like Germany is going through. The extent of which is constantly being distorted by the media by downplaying the numbers.

By the way, I have been helping out in this crisis on community level for almost a year now, I know far more about what I'm talking about than you'd like to believe, trust me.

My thought: Jesus continues his conquest and I truly believe we will see an increase of those in the Arab region thirsting and hungry for spiritual truths. It is Jehovah's will that these Syrian refugees know Him and his son, so He will give them that opportunity. Praise Jah!

My thoughts exactly. I think this will help create a solid basis for people from arab countries and Eritrea where the work is hard or under ban, and people that come from "free" countries like Nigeria, Togo, will see that this is indeed a global brotherhood without racial or ethnic borders.

This is also what is happening in Australia, but to a far smaller degree due to our distance from conflict regions.  We have many more diverse cultures fleeing oppression and allowed to resettle here as refugees, asylum seekers etc.  Many do come from Afghanistan/Iraq and Iran.  We are expecting the Syrians and Kurds will be next.  Our territory has a good proportion of ethnic mixes from these lands as well as Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan and Bangladesh.  And these areas are the nicest areas to preach in, the most fulfilling spiritually.  They love the message!  I think we will see much increase in this field.

I can, though, see the truth of what Ruben is saying.  Unfortunately, another side to this is that radicalisation can occur with some coming into our neighbourhoods with extremist views, or learning to be extremist here in Australia by others.  It cannot be controlled, no matter how much the government tries to verify people's credentials coming into our countries.  It is a fact of life that along with the genuine refugees comes the unsavoury element - and that is part and parcel of Satan's destructive world.  The incident a couple of weeks back where a 15 yr old Kurdish-born, Australian teenager gunned down a police accountant leaving a police administration building in Sydney highlights that radicalisation is occuring "at home".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-14/parramatta-shooting-suspects-may-have-sought-gun-since-march/6854970

And I do understand the uneasiness that Ruben has with the effects of a million refugees pouring into one's country on the German population - economically it will be affected as it tries to accommodate such an influx.  How would we feel if we were facing that?  I don't think it's actually selfish, but if is something that causes anxiety - the root cause being ultimately that governments cannot provide the economic infrastructure (or any fair governance), and we well know that.  So it is going to be a tough time for our brothers and sisters all over Europe as it slides further into economic decline, with the added burden of trying to help these displaced people as well.

Need I say it?  Praying for Jehovah's Kingdom!

Will post my reply about this in a thread in a private area of the forum.

Hmm can't think where else to post that's less public so this will be limited. Don't worry so much about the truth getting where it's needed. ;)

Edited by Mykyl

Can you state your reason to believe that the 'fair percentage' will be higher than the 'fair percentage' applied to other ethnic groups?

From what I've heared about this subject from CA, OR and WA state residents the first thing they consider when they need to move is the ratio of newcomers from Mexico and some other  countries (that is tightly connected with crime level)

And it does depend.....  :blushing:

II's so heartwarming, what the brothers, and sisters are doing for the refugees, In Belgium, I have heard that the brothers and sisters, are going to the centra's for refugees (asielcentra's), I am curious to the reaction of the refugees ...

In our community, we will host 18 refugees, I am sure that our field overseer, will take arangements to visit them in the near future.

No it's just me, I get nasty when confronted with PC attacks. I personally don't get what was so bad about my initial post. All I said was I am very uncomfortable with where this is going from my perspective, but trust that Jehovah is using this for his benefit.

I apologize for my PC attack. It was not meant as an attack per se. This is one of those cases where we read different motives into a post. I misconstrued your comment to indicate that you were emphasizing the wickedness of these refugees. Couple that with responding on an Ipad which is about the same as having you fingers in a cast, nuances don't come thru well. :)

From what I've heared about this subject from CA, OR and WA state residents the first thing they consider when they need to move is the ratio of newcomers from Mexico and some other  countries (that is tightly connected with crime level)

And it does depend.....  :blushing:

Having come from CA, lived in WA, for many years and now live in OR I have not heard anyone expressing the sentiments you cite. Probably they are not widespread, or I have blinders on, either one. The ministry is often much more rewarding in neighborhoods with a high ratio of immigrants. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I personally don't get what was so bad about my initial post.

In the US, it's quite common to make blanket statements that all people of a certain nationality fit some negative stereotype. I.E, all Mexicans are rapists and drug dealers, all Muslims are terrorists, and so on. Given that the same blanket statements are now being made about Syrian refugees, it's easy to unintentionally view all negative comments about immigrants with the same vitriol that we often see from our news reporters and politicians.

/quote]

Interestingly, this is the VERY scripture (Haggai 2:7) that the Wallkill speaker quoted during the Sunday morning public discourse held at our regional convention in July. {Looking at my notes...} In summary he said that while worldly artwork still portrays Jesus as a baby in a manger or a frail, solemn weak person, this actually affects how people currently see him. Thus, how the world sees him is a FAR cry from the Bible's portrayal--namely as a teacher, a man of action; a mighty, powerful world conqueror!

(Rev. 6:2) Jesus is pictured sitting on a white horse conquering and in these last days, "the nations will be rocked" during his conquest! Then the speaker bellowed: "NO ONE CAN STOP THE CHRIST!!" They tried to stop him in Nazi Germany--but failed! "They tried to stop the Christ in Malawi--but failed!" The bottom line is, Jesus Christ was with the Apostle Paul through his trial and tribulations, (2Tim. 4:17) so he will be with us as well."

It will be awesome that millions of Arabs wil come into the truth. I might add I.m seeing or hearing many kids are are listing to the truth too.

Will post my reply about this in a thread in a private area of the forum.

Hmm can't think where else to post that's less public so this will be limited. Don't worry so much about the truth getting where it's needed. ;)

Just want to clarify this.

Its not some super secret I know something you folks don't, just that our new CO was interviewed recently (Within the past couple of weeks regarding his service to Jehovah) and he told us some things that really helps when wondering how well the truth spreads in middle eastern countries. I wish I could say but this is a public area as I said. Really amazing.

I heard this experience related last night - in California and here in Las Vegas, the Chinese field is growing VERY rapidly.

In the past - this was due to our preaching in countries we are NOT under ban in and those ones going home to share the truth with their relatives in China, but NOW - it is the other way around - things are quickly expanding here in the states - as relatives in CHINA are calling their relatives here in the US to tell them to study  :thumbsup:

Perhaps this type of experience will help in the other language and culture groups too.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Personally, I don't think we should get up in arms, out of joint about refugees coming to our particular land/neighborhood. It won't last. And who knows, some of those very refugees may be our brothers/sisters one day.

Here in NYC, there's something going on called gentrification. Basically, simply put it's others from another race, Caucasian, moving in to once ago, majority black/Latino neighborhoods. There are buildingsome going up, businesses blooming, and with it nothing but complaints from blacks/Latinos. On the surface the complaints seem legit. But the reality is there's nothing anyone can do about it. One complaint is that the real estate biggies will force the poorer ones out. Maybe. Even some friends are complaining. Understandably in a sense. But what can you do?

So the same, almost, as with the refugees coming. What can you do? It's temporary and while we wait till Jehovah acts, we preach and teach. We don't worry, be concerned but we don't worry about where we're live, etc.

Jehovah Got this!

(And frankly, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm glad the refugees are coming to wherever they're coming to. For at least they'll have a place to sleep, food to eat and can walk around without fear of being bombed!!!)

Edited by Luezette

Just want to clarify this.

Its not some super secret I know something you folks don't, just that our new CO was interviewed recently (Within the past couple of weeks regarding his service to Jehovah) and he told us some things that really helps when wondering how well the truth spreads in middle eastern countries. I wish I could say but this is a public area as I said. Really amazing.

There is a surprising interest in the Great Teacher book. Many muslims have a deep respect for Jesus but don't know a single thing he said.

The fact that Jesus Christ is not God, not "the Creator" and that there is only one God in the bible strikes the right tone with them.

Very interesting. The Reasoning book has information for Muslims as well.

Hahaha. This was funny though not in the comical sense. We're out in service, saw a Muslim family. Because I had Tracts in different languages, two in Bengals and Arabic, yet didn't know which they spoke, I offered both, inviting the family to choose. Hee hee. They chose neither one! They spoke Urdu!!!

Well y'all know what that meant right? :)

Edited by Luezette

I was born and raised in Southern California and moved to Northern California over 30 years ago, I don't feel that way and none of the people that I know feel that way. Crime is crime, it isn't limited to people from a certain area and not everyone from that area are criminals...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

For those that wont to know more about the refugee problem check the current Time magazine, it is dedicated to the refugee situation. Though it has an initial shock on local economies it seems that long term there are many benefits.

My wife and I have had studies with Muslims, but though we were well received none progressed to baptism. However they were all Iranians with a lot of community and family pressures involved.

The current wave of immigrants might have fewer family pressures due to their displacement.

This is so sickening!  Humans just don't learn from history - the London blitz, Dresden, seige of Lenningrad etc.  Total destruction fueled by the sick politics - "Russia" logo as if they are the liberators.  We know there is no other solution apart from Jehovah's one.  Those poor people.  No wonder they are fleeing this horror.

This is so sickening!  Humans just don't learn from history - the London blitz, Dresden, seige of Lenningrad etc.  Total destruction fueled by the sick politics - "Russia" logo as if they are the liberators.  We know there is no other solution apart from Jehovah's one.  Those poor people.  No wonder they are fleeing this horror.

RussiaWorks, I believe, is the media company that published this. The video is not implying, to my knowledge, that Russia is the liberator, though a lot of people believe this.

Seeing this video makes you understand why they say more than half the country has already fled. It is still ironic that they need to flee across half the world to nations linked to Christendom when islam loves to show itself as a brotherhood of compassion and brotherly love and helping the needy. Saudi-Arabia is interested in hoarding the profit from the believers on their manditory pilgrimages, but not willing to take up a single refugee because that would destabilize their country.

Imagine if there was war in your neighboring country and brothers would have to cross through your own country to a completely different part of the world because neither you nor your congregation are willing to put them up.

We are really blessed with something special. The worlds religions are a farce.

Edited by ChocoboRider