JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Teen arrested for not turning over cell phone

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3093 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

There is a mental disorder named oppositional defiant disorder (ODD). It is a possibility that this girl could be diagnosed with that. The treatment includes behavioral therapy and sometimes medication. And it is frequently accompanied by other mental issues.

There is a mental disorder named oppositional defiant disorder (ODD). It is a possibility that this girl could be diagnosed with that. The treatment includes behavioral therapy and sometimes medication. And it is frequently accompanied by other mental issues.

I have never heard of that. huh...learn something new everyday if I'm not careful....

I always thought that if someone was called odd, they were just odd, not ODD...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Carlos, kindly asking someone to clarify a statement they made is "not stirring controversy." Secondly, many of the comments made on this thread thus far have been far from objective and seem to condone the officer's behavior which I find disturbing considering the fact that as Jehovah's Witnesses we strive to be "Imitators of Christ" and "Peaceable." Third, racial dynamics should be considered in these instances considering the relatively recent American history of chattel slavery, American Apartheid (aka Jim Crow era), mass incarceration of AA males, racial profiling and police brutality concentrated toward Blacks and Hispanics.

My hubby said that what they should of done is asked juvenile officers into the room and had enough in the classroom to carry the girl out in the chair. The police are there for protection and to show a force but not there to do what he did since she wasn't a threat to anyone physically. 

My comment before was the school's policy to get the police involved and his orders was to remove her from the classroom, the police officer is trained for criminals and not trained for teenagers in school. So my thoughts is he was trying to get her out of the chair and out of the classroom and with his training this is what happens. 

But the school should have a better policy such as what my husband said. 

5 to 15 percent of students are clinically diagnosed with ODD. This is recognized early in Elementary School, if not before, and assigned a one-on-one AID and/ or additional  school personnel as well as a Special Ed classroom or treatment facility (like the therapeutic boarding school where I taught.) I have never seen a Middle school student with ODD who does not already have medical, psychological, and social intervention. Ironically,most, if not all, the behavioral symptoms of ODD are also manifested by 75 to 80 percent of students in the general classroom. They include: 

• Excessively arguing with adults.
  • Actively refusing to comply with requests and rules.
  • Deliberately trying to annoy or upset others, or being easily annoyed by others.
  • Blaming others for your mistakes.
  • Having frequent outbursts of anger and resentment.

These behaviors are not, necessarily, observed in honors classes, although I have seen unacceptable behaviors in honors classes that I have taught. 

Slightly OT, a sister from our cong had Parent Teacher meetings for her two teenage children last night. Her older son is on the autistic spectrum and is generally not drawn in, socially, by the behaviors of others. Her younger daughter's teacher said, "Oh, if only I had a class-full like her." It is a huge pressure on the compliant student when the majority are off-task or lap-staring a large percent of class time. It is a sad situation, all around, but the student has been arrested and the officer has lost his job. I am happy to be out of teaching. 

Edited by kejedo

• Excessively arguing with adults.
  • Actively refusing to comply with requests and rules.
  • Deliberately trying to annoy or upset others, or being easily annoyed by others.
  • Blaming others for your mistakes.
  • Having frequent outbursts of anger and resentment.

I can do all of that in just one post... :lol:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I can do all of that in just one post... :lol:

:lol1:

On a more serious note, this doesn't change when they become adults. Imagine being a manager at work with 5-15% of your employees having this same thing. :eek:

Or just being a fellow employee of ones. This reminds me very much of the current work environment I am in.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

At least one of my teenage students had already been fired for overusing her phone during work hours. I helped her get into a CNA class (same building as mine,) and saw her having a hissy fit because she was corrected by the instructor for coming late and being both non-compliant and a distraction in class. The nurse who was teaching the class told her, "You won't get certified or hired with that attitude." Most students don't make a connection between their class performance and their future success. 

I recently took a certification test. It was 80 questions in 2 hours - open code book. I needed every second of the 2 hours. I wondered how well a young person would doing sitting for 2 hours answering question after question - no break (as it counted against the 2 hours) and no electronic devices of any kind allowed.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I guess many of you know that there were about 100 students that had a "peaceful demonstration" at the school, wanting the police officer to be re-hired.  I take it that many already knew this girl's behavior versus the police officer's behavior (before this incident) and they wanted their voices heard that they supported the officer.

It is still bad that he resorted to that action, and I loved the suggestion I read here and agree that the one saying have all the other students go out (but to an empty classroom with their teacher) and then the principal and police officer wait for this girl to finally get up to leave so they could handle her privately and not give her an "audience" for her behavior would be a great way to handle it (maybe - who knows, she may stay in there for hours!).  I don't think it would work to have additional men come in and raise up her chair and carry it out because I can imagine some hard kicks that may permanently hurt some of them.  Anyway, it is a symptom of what the world is turning to and what all of us can continue to expect to get worse.

Most of us know that people in general (as well as their children) are getting more violent and do not want to listen to authority.  For instance, more and more people are running red lights.  I hate to go shopping because some of the shoppers are very aggressive in the aisles.  It is all about what they want, not being courteous to others.  It would make them laugh for someone to say anything to them about being patient, courteous and not block the aisles or try to push their way through other shoppers.  Makes me think of what Jehovah said about the people before the flood (their thoughts were violent).  We keep seeing so few able to "function" as they get out of high school - they only want a job to get money, not to work, and so they hardly can hold on to a job because of their attitude.  I do not see the younger generation of today hardly able to function in a few more years because of the prevalent attitude of "ME, ME, ME".

We need Jehovah and Jesus to change it all - soon!

Edited by Rosalie4u

So because you're an African American, you don't feel you have freedom of speech expressing your honest opinion of this incident?

Kindly, please clarify. Thanks

Why is this sort of thing happening here? I think we should have a big old discussion on the fruitages of the spirit, starting with love...All of us have different opinions. To me, as in our ministry, we find a common ground and go on. We don't challenge someone. No more then we would if we were at the hall, or even in our living rooms. Love covers a multitude thereof...

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!