JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Teen arrested for not turning over cell phone

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3071 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Teacher criticized for not fighting back when student body-slams him over cell phone confiscation. Newscaster compares it to passing notes. Other commenter/college instructor says she would kick the student out of class. But what if the student refuses to leave and becomes disruptive?

Edited by kejedo

There was a Judge Judy episode in which a college professor took away a student's cell phone (was using it during an exam) and put it in a drawer. The student was suing the professor. Like myself, Judy Judy was surprised that this permeates college as well as lower grades. The student lost. Definitely no respect. Second Timothy  

It's sad all the way around.

I'm waiting for the legal case and the tv-movie deal on this! Lol

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

CNN says Officer is fired and student has a lawyer.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/29/us/south-carolina-school-arrest-videos/index.html

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

From what I saw of the video, when the officer tried to get her up out of her seat, she resisted him with her arms because first he tried to grab one arm and then tried to grab the other arm but she is fighting him. After this she made it so her body went limp in the chair so that he couldn't get a good hold on her when pulling her up and out of the chair, so when he did try to pull her up the chair was by then connected to her body by her limp posture which tumbled her and the chair backwards. He then grabbed her out of the chair as it  fell and pulled her forward out of the tanglement of the chair which with a limp body you would have to pull with some force to get her up and out which made her fall forward a few feet. 

He probably shouldn't of grabbed her after she fell and made sure she was alright but when you have all these eyes on you and you are embarrassed at the situation this girl has put one through then you just want it over with.

and you can still hear her struggling with him for him to get the cuffs on her. 

I am not excusing the cops behaviour but if you were a law officer and was asked to go there and get this girl out of her chair and out of the classroom and after having a discussion with her, she is still rebellious, what choice did he have?

video: 

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/614907/Video-white-police-officer-black-student-brutality

This is exactly as I see it. Going limp is also another way of being defiant. Whatever works to cause resistance. An interview with another couple students was revealing, they said "she refused to listen, she refused to stop texting. All she had to do was stop". Even other students saw it for what it was. This girl was not going to be told what to do. Period. Could it have been handled differently, who knows, she made it worse by becoming dead weight and the officer had to adjust to what suddenly happened. 

I grew up with a sister just like this aggressor, and she ended up getting just as this girl did because there was absolutely no telling her what to do.  Simple discipline ALWAYS lead to an escalation and she'd end up getting a good walloping, even though the original incident didn't warrant it. She just wouldn't stop being aggressive. And she's still the same today, she has left many a victim in her wake.

Like Pauline says the school systems are just trying to get them passed=$$, has nothing to do with behavioral check points anywhere. 

The scriptures say our system and people will go from bad to worse and it's all more true than ever before.

Stavro, you were attacked when being an innocent bystander and that's insane that someone would do that. But it's not the same as this girl, she was being the aggressor. Did it give the officer license to do what ultimately happened? I honestly think he had no such plan to do anything like as happened. Please try to see things from the eyes of law enforcement. They continually deal with these kind of people, every day. They're heavily trained to make the right decision in a plethora of situations. As this system becomes more broken they're dealing with more and more insane and off the charts circumstances. The badness and the things they see is almost unthinkable, is for me anyway. I believe we are seeing badness on a grand scale and the officers who are trying to handle it, with cameras on them. It captures actions after a scene has been identified as worth filming so we rarely see what initially caused the scene to be filmed.

All right, off my soapbox. I try to defend officers when I can. Just like honest parents who are accused of mistreating their children when all they were doing was disciplining, some see the situation midway and form an opinion of what they're seeing yet they didn't see why the good parent is disciplining the child. Not all officers nor parents are good, just try to give a little latitude, it's generally much more than our limited vision tells us.    

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

The girl should have been allowed to do what she was doing.    NOT     This leads to another issue here.    Control of classroom.     Why wasn't the parent or guardian phoned for her open defiance?   The girl may have been thinking.."I'm not hurting anyone else by phone use."   And then the question arises... When is it proper to assault, drag someone?      Many issues arise here out of this one incident.   You friends are so correct.....what else can we expect ?    When cell phones first came on the scene they were not allowed in some school systems.   Now there is a more relaxed atmosphere regarding students carrying cell phones during school hours.    They do have there place.   Technology isn't the problem.  It's people attitudes are going from bad to worse just like the scriptures show.     Attitudes will not get better the farther along we get toward the end.  We can expect that!       No respect for those in authority!    No respect at all!   We see it every day.      So sad  BUT.......iIT WILL GET BETTER.....just NOT in Satan's system of things.....only in a promised new world filled with righteousness.   

Edited by A fellow servant

There are so many different ways to deal with the situation without resorting to excessive use of force. Once she refused to get up from the chair, he could have told the rest of the classroom to get up and leave ( with their cell phones), including himself and the teacher. The door should be closed and not locked and he should be outside waiting for her with the principal. Meanwhile the parents should have been contacted  and called immediately to school to witness their daughter behavior. I am sure they have a percentage of responsibility for her behavior.

There are so many different ways to deal with the situation without resorting to excessive use of force. Once she refused to get up from the chair, he could have told the rest of the classroom to get up and leave ( with their cell phones), including himself and the teacher. The door should be closed and not locked and he should be outside waiting for her with the principal. Meanwhile the parents should have been contacted  and called immediately to school to witness their daughter behavior. I am sure they have a percentage of responsibility for her behavior.

I would hope this could work but my experience with classroom kids that once they get outside the classroom at this teenage stage many of them will leave and go do what they want until the next period or make it an excuse to cut the rest of the day due to circumstances. Teens see a situation like this and make a party out of it. I know the times back in the late 70's early 80's when a class was let outside this is what many would do. 

Also how long would it take to get the parents to come if they are work and can't leave their jobs. The parents nowadays expect the school to babysit and take care of their child while they are working. Being in the workforce for many years and raising 4 children, not many jobs let you leave unless it is a serious medical situation that your child is in. 

I agree it could have been handled differently. But how much time do you think it would take to round up her parents? And what makes you think they care? Her attitude suggests they don't and I have not seen anything in the news that suggests so.

I'm afraid it is just a case of I'm not there so I don't know enough to be sure it was handled correctly or not. A good question to ask now that we have heard the officer was fired is what happened to the girl? Was she kicked out of the school, sent to a school for problem children. Was her issue addressed properly? Or as I have a feeling, was she allowed to perpetuate her poor me I'm a victim, make an exception for me attitude and remain in her current school?

I am sure that once she was left alone without an audience she would have time to ponder about her behavior and be moved to get up from the chair.

And you can be sure of this because?????

Because  deviants love audience. I might be wrong. That was just a suggestion. I do not have the complete picture. Social isolation during this time of life usually works well. She could be the exception and decide to be alone in the classroom forever. Her parents would have to show up at certain point if she had decided to remain in the classroom. Anyway we are all speculating. We don't know her and we were not there. My comments result from  my life experience  combined with media reports.  We all know that media reports do not present the facts accurately.

The army should not be used as the police.  The army is trained to defend the country from enemy threats.  The police are trained to maintain order.  When the army becomes the police, the people become the enemy.

In like fashion, the police should not be used as guidance counselors/teachers aids.  The police are trained to subdue criminals, counselors and aids are trained to guide and assist students.  When police become aids, the students become criminals.

The police office was not the person for the job, period.

The fact that the police are in the school should be a sign that we are in critical times hard to deal with. 

Teenagers always push the boundaries.  Rebellious teenagers push them the most.  So many generations before now have pushed the boundaries so far that now to push the boundaries is chaos.  Teenagers, even good ones, want to fight the authority, change the world, stick it to the man.

Call the parents?  You act as if the parents care.  You act as if the students care what their parents think.  She did not comply with a police officer, do you think she'd comply with her parents?

It's easy to armchair quarterback when it's the day after or when you are not in the moment with your emotions charged.   

Cell phone use was so pervasive, I could spend 40 out of 50 minutes, asking students to put their phones away.  I also tried copying the school rules, and just putting the piece of paper down and pointing to the statement,"I will not use my cell phone in class."  A second later he or she would be lap-staring again. It could consume the entire class time and many teachers just acquiesce. Many, many educators have been quoted as looking for a "teachable moment." There should be teachable hours, not looking for a moment or two to squeeze in some teaching time, between off task behaviors of students.   

Cell phone use was so pervasive, I could spend 40 out of 50 minutes, asking students to put their phones away.  I also tried copying the school rules, and just putting the piece of paper down and pointing to the statement,"I will not use my cell phone in class."  A second later he or she would be lap-staring again. It could consume the entire class time and many teachers just acquiesce. Many, many educators have been quoted as looking for a "teachable moment." There should be teachable hours, not looking for a moment or two to squeeze in some teaching time, between off task behaviors of students.   

They are in SCHOOL! School is a place to learn academics. Not be entertained, not tweeting, not surfing. Our teachers spend so much time finding those few moments to teach.....agh!! And THIS is why I quit school in my sophomore year, so many years ago. I wanted to learn, some in school today feel the same way only the rebellious ones make it nearly impossible, like Pauline said they're afraid to break the rules of peer pressure. 

Our system is wayyy too broken for us to find any happy medium. It's all about the price you're willing to pay: go to a school where discipline is lacking or do home schooling where the child may not get the education necessary to pass state testing. Boils down to the parent, no matter how we look at it. And most parents aren't really parents, they have too much going on in their own lives to give the time to their kids. I know how it was in my day and if I'm right in my guesstamation it's 100% worse now.  

Pauline, your words have such truth to them. I can completely understand what you're saying. It matches what the sisters here who are in the school systems say. They are so frustrated by the lack of anything- a hug to help calm a hurt or discipline for a disobedient student. They aren't allowed to do much of anything anymore for fear of being sued. Reminds me of Eli and his sons, too little too late. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

It's very interesting (and disturbing) that the majority of comments thus far seem to support rather than condemn the police officer's behavior. Apparently the consensus on this forum is that the act of an adult body slamming a CHILD is acceptable behavior. Secondly, children will be unruly from time and will attempt to defy authority on occasion. However, this never justifies physical abuse of a minor even in this case because the young girl didn't impose a physical threat to the well being of the witnesses. Have any of you ever body slammed your child because they were rebellious or disobedient? Such actions could result in felony criminal charges, loss of custody of child, and loss of privileges in the congregation.

I don't know about a forum consensus. I think 5 people out of 1,000 members does not quite make a consensus,eh?

I also didn't see anyone state "police need to body slam children" without regard for what the children do or for that matter EVER.

If children are unruly, ABUSE is ALWAYS uncalled for. I am certain you'll see that as the "consensus".

The difference in opinion will be how much can a police officer do in performance of his duty? There will surely be a difference of opinion there.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

In this matter I'm not siding with the child or with the police officer. As an African American, I have some I'll will on the issue. But the officer does have a right to 'keep the peace'.

It's sad all the way around. I'm just trying to apply the keep Seeking peace assembly I had some time ago. In this world - the legal system will handle it.

I don't know about a forum consensus. I think 5 people out of 1,000 members does not quite make a consensus,eh?

-Trottigy

Ok, I used the wrong message board jargon. "Apparently the consensus on this thread is that the act of an adult body slamming a CHILD is acceptable behavior."

In this matter I'm not siding with the child or with the police officer. As an African American, I have some I'll will on the issue. But the officer does have a right to 'keep the peace'.

So because you're an African American, you don't feel you have freedom of speech expressing your honest opinion of this incident?

Kindly, please clarify. Thanks 

More news from abc news:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/violent-sc-arrest-reflects-black-girls-disproportionately-disciplined/story?id=34824293

It gets more sadder as they dig deep into the situation.

So because you're an African American, you don't feel you have freedom of speech expressing your honest opinion of this incident?

James, why are you trying to stir controversy? What Ashley is saying, and I think it's clear for everyone, is that he has one opinion but he doesn't trust his view to be completely objective, since there are underlying racial issues that affect him too.

It's a noble thing to abstain from giving an opinion when you know it may not be objective. We are here to discuss views not to argue.

So because you're an African American, you don't feel you have freedom of speech expressing your honest opinion of this incident?

All night long I was working and reading some spiritual material. I really, really have no opinion on this matter. I'll keep posting credible news sources and let it play out. I'm kinda glad of the delay on those previous posts. I'll just go over my notes and video from the Keep Pursuing Peace assembly on potentially divisive issues like this.

James, why are you trying to stir controversy? What Ashley is saying, and I think it's clear for everyone, is that he has one opinion but he doesn't trust his view to be completely objective, since there are underlying racial issues that affect him too.

It's a noble thing to abstain from giving an opinion when you know it may not be objective. We are here to discuss views not to argue.

Thank you Brother Carlos.
Edited by AH173

My guess it the student was not one of Jehovah's Witnesses. 

It is interesting how Jehovah's people are taught obedience without the elders resorting to body slamming us, at least physically... :D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D