JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Time pass

Or is it 6 numbers that total 35

maybe 7 numbers that total 37

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Can't agree, short of having some ground rules, many more numbers are apparent.

1  is easy 

2  is also easy, kind of, however one has to eliminate part of circle making up the top half of 2,   we have opened up the rule book allowing separating segments

3  apparent  as 1/2 of 8

4  readily apparent

5  is inverted, look at the lower section of 8 combined with the bottom of 2, remember the rule book opened up with the free interpretation of 2

6  obvious only if we separate the 8

7  the lower part of 1 coupled with the horizontal portion of the 4

8  obvious

9  the bottom half of 8 coupled with slanted leg of 2

10  horizontal portion of 4 and the bottom of 8 rotate 90 degrees

100 same as 10 but using the two zeros of 8

155 total  ( I used a calculator this time)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

3 hours ago, Old said:

Can't agree, short of having some ground rules, many more numbers are apparent.

1  is easy 

2  is also easy, kind of, however one has to eliminate part of circle making up the top half of 2,   we have opened up the rule book allowing separating segments

3  apparent  as 1/2 of 8

4  readily apparent

5  is inverted, look at the lower section of 8 combined with the bottom of 2, remember the rule book opened up with the free interpretation of 2

6  obvious only if we separate the 8

7  the lower part of 1 coupled with the horizontal portion of the 4

8  obvious

9  the bottom half of 8 coupled with slanted leg of 2

10  horizontal portion of 4 and the bottom of 8 rotate 90 degrees

100 same as 10 but using the two zeros of 8

155 total  ( I used a calculator this time)

I found the 2 after I posted my first post.  Then I realized that the 8 could also be hiding a 3.  Then I located what looked like a 7.  Since I now had all the digits from 1 through 9 except for 5, I started looking for a five.  I never found one.  Never thought of flipping the image around.  That means I would never have found the others you mentioned.  Very well done. 

All my numbers were found with the image vertical, as is, without looking at it sideways or upside down, or separating/ignoring "half" numbers. I do maintain that the "7" and "2" are clear 

So,

6+8+9+2+4+1+7=37

Edited by Qapla

space bar goof

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

You are in a museum. The museum guide stands in front of an impressive portrait. "Who is it?" you ask.

Museum guide answers, "Sisters and brothers, I have none, but that man's father is my father's son."

Who is pictured in the portrait?

5 minutes ago, kejedo said:

You are in a museum. The museum guide stands in front of an impressive portrait. "Who is it?" you ask.

Museum guide answers, "Sisters and brothers, I have none, but that man's father is my father's son."

Who is pictured in the portrait?

His son.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Another wicked (I'm from Boston) oldie: A rabbit has fallen into a hole 30 feet deep. Every day he crawls up 3 feet, but every night he slides down 2 feet. On what day does the rabbit reach the surface and run away? 

8 minutes ago, kejedo said:

Another wicked (I'm from Boston) oldie: A rabbit has fallen into a hole 30 feet deep. Every day he crawls up 3 feet, but every night he slides down 2 feet. On what day does the rabbit reach the surface and run away? 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I am assuming some people here went to Middle school when it was still called Junior High, whence I first heard these hackneyed riddles:

Long, long ago, ago and far away, Picture it: Rainy night; three men check into Bates Motel. The clerk, Anthony Perkin, says the bill is $30, so each guest pays $10. Later the clerk realizes the bill should only be 25 bucks. So, he gives the psycho bellhop $5 to return to the guests. On the way to the room, the bellhop, Anthony Hopkins, realizes that he cannot divide the money equally between 3 people, one of whom was in the shower. As the guests didn't know the total of the revised bill, the bellhop, Hannibal, decides to just give each guest $1 and keep $2 as a tip for himself. Each guest got $1 back, so now each guest only paid $9, bringing the total paid to $27. The bellhop tries to figure the math and threw the papers in the toilet.  His toilet tally sheet  figures he got $2. And $27 + $2 = $29 - so, if the guests originally handed over $30, what happened to the remaining $1? Nearly drove the bellhop crazy. Good thing he had Norman's mother to confide in. She charged him the 2 bucks to listen to some old 78 RPM vinyls. She still wants to know what happened to the other dollar, but she wouldn't hurt a fly. S0-o where's the other buck? Anthony Hopkins would like to find it and buy some fava beans.

7 hours ago, kejedo said:

I am assuming some people here went to Middle school when it was still called Junior High, whence I first heard these hackneyed riddles:

Long, long ago, ago and far away, Picture it: Rainy night; three men check into Bates Motel. The clerk, Anthony Perkin, says the bill is $30, so each guest pays $10. Later the clerk realizes the bill should only be 25 bucks. So, he gives the psycho bellhop $5 to return to the guests. On the way to the room, the bellhop, Anthony Hopkins, realizes that he cannot divide the money equally between 3 people, one of whom was in the shower. As the guests didn't know the total of the revised bill, the bellhop, Hannibal, decides to just give each guest $1 and keep $2 as a tip for himself. Each guest got $1 back, so now each guest only paid $9, bringing the total paid to $27. The bellhop tries to figure the math and threw the papers in the toilet.  His toilet tally sheet  figures he got $2. And $27 + $2 = $29 - so, if the guests originally handed over $30, what happened to the remaining $1? Nearly drove the bellhop crazy. Good thing he had Norman's mother to confide in. She charged him the 2 bucks to listen to some old 78 RPM vinyls. She still wants to know what happened to the other dollar, but she wouldn't hurt a fly. S0-o where's the other buck? Anthony Hopkins would like to find it and buy some fava beans.

I answered this riddle for someone once (about 50 years ago) and he argued with me that I was wrong.  I will wait for someone else to answer it first.

7 hours ago, kejedo said:

I can tell that you use to work for the government

Yes, I even worked for the Census Bureau, hence the fava beans reference, in case some one watched that gruesome movie on TV, when its rating was reduced. "Clarice!" I don't usually watch movies, but somehow overhear quotes, or see them in trailers.

C'mon Brother Randall, no one is biting on the motel riddle. Not even the shelled reptile, who solves everything in that deliberate, methodical, turtulian way.   

Another memory from Middle School (when I was a student, not a teacher):

"Altogether you have a dollar and ten cents. You have placed some money in each of two pockets. One pocket holds one dollar more than the other. How much money do you have in each pocket? "  

Edited by kejedo

9 hours ago, kejedo said:

Yes, I even worked for the Census Bureau, hence the fava beans reference, in case some one watched that gruesome movie on TV, when its rating was reduced. "Clarice!" I don't usually watch movies, but somehow overhear quotes, or see them in trailers.

C'mon Brother Randall, no one is biting on the motel riddle. Not even the shelled reptile, who solves everything in that deliberate, methodical, turtulian way.   

Another memory from Middle School (when I was a student, not a teacher):

"Altogether you have a dollar and ten cents. You have placed some money in each of two pockets. One pocket holds one dollar more than the other. How much money do you have in each pocket? "  

The motel problem is simply one of misdirection.  The men paid in $30.00.  The charge should have been $25.00.  The bellhop kept $2.00 and gave them back $3.00.  That means each man paid $9.00, $27.00 for all three together.  The correct answer is that you do not add the $27.00 to the amount the bellhop kept.  What the bellhop kept was part of their payment.  They paid $27.00 and got $3.00 back.  The correct way to figure it is simply $27.00 + $3.00 = $30.00.  The way it is told just misdirects you to add the wrong numbers.  But people will argue that that is not correct.

4 hours ago, Witness1970 said:

The correct way to figure it is simply $27.00 + $3.00 = $30.00.  The way it is told just misdirects you to add the wrong numbers.  But people will argue that that is not correct.

Once the $5 was returned, the $30 is no longer a valid number. Ignore the $30. As you said, the amount paid was $27.

34 minutes ago, kejedo said:

I know we usually don't necessarily like change, even when it's in our pocket. Any takers on the change riddle? 

.05 in one pocket, 1.05 in the other?