JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My husband is living proof that Jehovah never meant for us to ever stop working.Sigh.gif.e20fa8d90e5db2c51ff8ccf79711ccb

"There is nothing better for a man than to eat and drink and find enjoyment in his hard work.  This too, I have realized is from the hand of the true God..." --Ecclesiastes 2:24

Menopause is a life-altering experience.

So is  work-o-pause (retirement).

Work-o-pause is certainly causing notable changes in my hubby's  behavior.

For over 50 years, he went to bed at ten every night and got up at five every morning.  

Now that he is no longer farming full-time, he stays up until all hours

watching James Bond marathons, and various sporting events on TV.

He has always been an avid reader, but now he reads non-stop.  

He wakes up in the middle of the night with panic attacks and can't get back to sleep.  56d7b68d7dff0_ScaredReleavedQuakinginFea

So he gets dressed and goes outdoors on 'walk-abouts'.

He was going on 'drive-abouts', but I was able to talk him out of operating a motor vehicle while  sleep-deprived.

He talks to the radio and television.  Actually, he likes to SCREAM at the radio and television.

He has been trying to stay active by fixing things around the farm.  

He's gone through a lot of acetylene and oxygen tanks, cutting all of our old

farm machinery into bits and pieces.  

He also exercises while watching the evening news.  

It doesn't seem to help, though.

He has always been a work-a-holic.  

I think he might have made the transition into work-o-pause better if he had had a more balanced view of work.

I have noticed that other men in our community did not live long after reaching work-o-pause.

I know advanced age and poor health contributed to their deaths,

but I also believe that a sudden loss of 'purpose' came into play.

I am looking forward to finding enjoyment in the hard work that lies ahead of us.56d7b7e01ad31_YESHappy.gif.b05f54d4bf146

And I am grateful that Jehovah has given us a REAL purpose in life.yes.gif.0c52482317b3f78ba5c7d7f8d33bd98e

"The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is; Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man."--Ecclesiastes 12:13

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

He must be a man of many hidden talents since he can watch TV, fix things, exercises and sleep all while reading books. He also seems to be able to sleep and be awake at the same time since he is awake watching James Bond and sporting events until all hours while still waking up in the middle of the night then going walk-about - guess he takes several book with him so he can read them non-stop?

:D:uhhuh::eek::ecstatic:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

My (also undedicated/unbelieving)  husb has been retired for a long long time. He still gets up at about 3:00 am, as he did during his work days.  I, myself, retired a number of months ago, earlier than I expected. I honestly thought that when I retired, I would be able to immediately enter the full time pioneer ranks, once again. I do aux pio most months, but have been working on stabilizing the health issues that prompted my retirement. I'm just turning 65. I do think for us, Jehovah's people, we always have more to do. (plenty to do in the work of the LOrd.) It seems your husb has been keeping busy, and adjusting to a different schedule. MY husb has lived a long time since reaching work-o-pause. I hope to reassure you that his new agenda is not necessarily going to affect his lifespan in this system. I am also one of those that awaken all night, and sometimes take walks. Taking walks in the wee hours is a guarantee that I will not get any more sleep that evening. Trying to stay still after that sleep interruption doesn't guarantee any more sleep, but keeps the possibility open. Sometimes I take MIdnight (OTC, to try to get some more sleep.) He will find his way. Maybe his penchant for reading will lead him to pick up some Bible based literature. Hope so!  The fact that he exercises during news shows may separate him from the pack whose poor health may have contributed to their demise (of some retired men that you have observed.) Change is growth. To have changed often is to have grown much. Unfortunately we, mostly, don't even like change when it's in our pocket. Hope things are going well in the household.