JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Largest wild fire in For McMurray Alberta Canada

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2855 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

26 minutes ago, alba aurora said:

I wonder if any of the brothers and sisters have evacuated from here . I heard some stories this morning and there is quite a bit of devastation. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/wildfire-rages-in-fort-mcmurray-as-evacuees-settle-in-edmonton-1.3565573

Absolutelyy for sure, the whole town and surrounding communities have been evacuated. Disaster relief is centered in Edmonton AB. 

NASA photos show the Kingdom Hall neighborhood totally involved though the building it self may survive as there is a lot of clear space around it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/05/04/fort-mcmurray-fire_n_9839476.html

Compare Google Earth with NASA photos

Kingdom Hall located at 

431 Gregoire Dr, Fort McMurray, AB, Canada

Compare 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

So far as of this morning .. 5 brothers homes gone.. KH still ok ..

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Thanks for the link on that Jerry, it was a good source. I've been looking it up but that link was better. 

That's a devastating situation. I cannot imagine the amount of animal life that's being lost too. This area will take years to come back. Do we know what started it, I didn't catch that.  It also mentioned that  the fire soared when the temp reached 40 degrees higher than normal, our weather is not normal anywhere. The whole world is out of whack. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

This is so very sad.  Our brothers and sisters will be in our thoughts and prayers.  Like with any disaster, it doesn't take long for them to be back on their feet giving comfort to others.  The weather patterns everywhere is just so out of whack for sure - we can expect this to be the norm until the end.  Endurance and many prayers.

I'm here in Edmonton right now on business and they have a line of approx 15 buses just waiting for the overflow at the airport. Our hotel is booked to capacity with ppl leaving Fort Mcmurray and having no place to go. The airport expects approx 20,000 ppl to pass through in the next few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just covered the Urban Interface aspect of wildfires in our Wildland Firefighter courses.

One of the scenarios was 'extreme fire behavior' in the Urban Interface.

Found this photo  fascinating:

572a85eb733d0_FortMcMurrayfire.jpg.gif.d

572a86abd949f_Woweyes.gif.227202a9c4cbe8

It really depicts the degree of devastation caused by 'extreme fire behavior' in the Fort McMurray fire.572a87d9c4fdb_Yessad.gif.2e0e98f54d2e02f

1,600 homes incinerated...so far.  All those families left with no place to live.Sigh.gif.f12a027a6949b66f04a0fe1e0293097

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Talked to a Ldc member in Edmonton ... Brothers are ok no deaths so far.. McDonald's Accross from Kh up in flames.. Exploding tanks and debris from that everywhere

The branch and local co's are involved...

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

This makes me happy, I have to wait for my news at my hall tomorrow in terms of what's happening to our brothers. We are organizing donations through our place of employment as well.  

I have been watching this for a bit, as I've mentioned in another post, I know more.  I actually work for the disaster recovery operations part of the government, but am not permitted to say more at this time.  Just know that any and all prayers are welcome from my end, I have asked on my facebook page for them as well. 

Normally I don't ask for prayers, preferring them to be more of a private thing, unless its something really big and bad.  This is that very case.  Someone mentioned the animals above, I felt and thought the same way too, in some instances people weren't able to go back for anything.  They left with only the clothing on their back. 

If ANYTHING, this disaster is a lesson for us.  Many, many people had no gas in their vehicles to make the length of a trip it took to get out of the city to safety.  Many waited until it was almost too late.  People on the news are referring to it as apocalyptic and Armageddon like..... 

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

Please get your information from here.   Watch the last link, it's an hour long and the Minister is from Slave Lake, and she lived there when their wildfires occurred. 

http://www.emergencyalert.alberta.ca/

http://asset.rmwb.ca/wildfire/

http://www.alberta.ca/emergency.cfm

News conferences under the link above.  Or here. 

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

We are close to this and have friends who live in Ft. Mc., when we talked with them to see if they and other brothers/sisters were alright ..they mentioned that the elders in their congregation told everyone to be ready, with their emergency kits, and full tanks of gas and to be prepared to evacuate, they said they were told this three days before the authorities evacuated everyone.  It just reinforces the need for us to be prepared with our own plan in case of emergency,  how things can change so quickly and how grateful we are to have such shepherds looking after us and listen to their direction. :wub:

I just saw massive pictures of how extent this fire is in Alberta/Canada.  I know our brothers and their families in that area where the fire is have all gotten out.   The pictures, am sorry but it looked like the coming Great Tribulation!   It's not the G.T. but it looks so bad, worse then the California fires I've seen through the years!   They must have had drought up there, but it looks so green, I wonder if this was a oil field or fracking of some sort to explode into such a tragedy in that area.  I heard its the size of New York City now.  I've never seen flames that high before, as high as 100 to 200 feet shot up in the air.   I wish I lived on near the border up there, you can come to my house!!!

News items going on. Here is CTV news. They have pretty good coverage. 

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.2888764

Over 88,000 people have been evacuated. Thousands of buildings have been razed from the flames.  It has grown by 10X what it was yesterday.  I just watched the national news on CTV its devastating.  People were driving through falling hot embers because the fire had crossed roads while they drove. No one has died in this whole thing which is amazing in its self.  People are saying it was like driving through Armageddon. 

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

Total damage and insurance cost is estimated to be over 2 billion dollars. Worst disaster in Canadian history. 

A rescue story - people really pull together when disasters strike (it's about 3 cats).

http://www.lovemeow.com/man-1779503134.html

A man broke into a house to get 3 cats out of a mandatory evacuation zone and to the safety of their home.

The owner of the house was out of town when the wildfire erupted on Sunday. He wasn't able to evacuate his three cats, so he pleaded for help online. That was when a locksmith saw the message and went to the rescue.

4 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

A rescue story - people really pull together when disasters strike (it's about 3 cats).

http://www.lovemeow.com/man-1779503134.html

A man broke into a house to get 3 cats out of a mandatory evacuation zone and to the safety of their home.

The owner of the house was out of town when the wildfire erupted on Sunday. He wasn't able to evacuate his three cats, so he pleaded for help online. That was when a locksmith saw the message and went to the rescue.

Touching!  It is like "all life matters." 

Worries for all in areas and so praying for our spiritual family! 

Edited by CyreJay

The Edmonton airport yesterday afternoon was a crazy scene with a ton of ppl from Fort Mc. Literally many had just their shirt on their backs. I seen families crying - so sad.

They said on CTV news tonight that this fire is larger than the entire city of Calgary. It is totally out of control and the only thing that will put it out is a good hard rain storm. They said it is impossible for them to bring it under control the way it is right now. Maybe they will come to the fact it will take an Act of God for it to go out. 

They also said insurance has to pay out because its a natural disaster.  Good news. 

100,000 hectares are burning now they are expecting that this beast will double in size if you can imagine that by end of day tomorrow. Incredible damage.