JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Largest wild fire in For McMurray Alberta Canada

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2854 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Are there any updates about the fire?

I read the fire has moved away from the city and 90% of the homes were spared, city officials are working to let people return to their homes.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I hope this will be in jw.org, our news are more likely politics. When to go back in time, in yolanda, your correct bro. Eric. As of now, cerebral ecstacy thats a very nice calamity assurance is they will be insured. How i like to pioneer and volunteer and share experiences here

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

So I went back and found out more information about the insurance portion.  It is expected that a person will carry fire insurance at it is always reasonably and readily available and they may be liable for 100% if they neglected to purchase fire insurance.  There doesn't seem to be a provision for anything over and above that like there was with flooding.  I shudder because I can only imagine how many were not insured. 

As to the fire itself, the fire has extended what they call a 'finger' and it is exhibiting fuel seeking behaviour, much like it did when it raged out of control.  The weather in the area was set to change today, with temperatures rising and the relative humidity being lowered, thus leaving out the possibility of any sort of precipitation.  There are also pockets of fuel within, which potentially allows the fire to feed back into itself.  Of course industry is pushing to be back in and producing their oil because they are literally hemorrhaging money.  Alberta's economy is pretty much oil driven, and this impacts the entire province as well as western Canada.  We were already running a deficit at the beginning of this fiscal year, and to have this occur is a further blow. 

The provincial operations centre is still at an operational level of 4, the highest it can go, and we're still manning it 24/7.  I have another 3 shifts myself coming up from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. this next coming week.  

Additionally, just because only 30% of the city was damaged (2462 structures and I think a further 500 are yet to be named according to some news sources I've seen) it doesn't mean the remainder can just go on back and resume as though nothing has happened.  Water is of utmost concern at this point.  It has to be confirmed that the water is potable. 

I've been out of the loop a couple of days, when I go back I'll know more, but probably won't be able to say anything about it lol.  

This was written by Municipal Affairs Minister Danielle Larivee on the Fort McMurray fire.  May 12, 2016. 

I know there is tremendous concern and interest in the wildfires in Alberta, so I want to provide an update on the situation in Fort McMurray and the supports we’re providing to evacuees.

Our government’s focus continues to be on meeting the needs of the evacuees. Yesterday, we began the distribution of debit cards for Albertans who have been displaced. These are one-time emergency payments of $1250 for eligible adults and $500 for children under the age of 18. The money will help evacuees meet their immediate, short-term needs, such as day-to-day essential expenses. As of 5 this afternoon, $21.9 million in financial assistance was provided to more than 19,890 people. As expected, there were significant lineups at the four distribution centres in Edmonton, Calgary, and Lac La Biche. Today, we added a second location in Edmonton for evacuees to pick up their debit cards. It’s at NAIT, north lobby, there is free parking, and it’s open until 8 pm. We continue to ask that those who are not in desperate need of funds to wait a few days. It will keep the line-ups shorter for those who really need this support now. And we have enough debit cards for every eligible evacuee. No eligible evacuee will miss out.

I know firsthand how hard it is to be away from your community, not knowing what you’ll find when you return home. It was five years ago this Sunday that I fled my home in Slave Lake. I understand that strong desire, but our top priority is safety and right now Fort McMurray is not safe. There are a number of things that need to happen before people can safely return to Fort McMurray. One is that we need to ensure that the danger of wildfire interfacing with the community has passed. Another is we need to restore essential services like natural gas, water and sewer. We also must ensure that there is a clean, working hospital, with functioning equipment and staff. This is essential to public health, especially in an isolated community like Fort McMurray where the next nearest hospital is hours away. I know this is not the news that Fort McMurray and area residents want to hear, but this is what we need to do to ensure safety.

The good news is that there are lots of people already working in the community to make it safe. There is a work camp capable of housing around 1,000 people and many of them are already on the ground. Power and data service has been restored to the downtown area. We have damage assessment teams on site. They inspected 520 structures yesterday from the outside, as they are not entering residences. This is helping us understand exactly what we’re dealing with in terms of damage. We will share that information once we have a clearer picture. We are continuing to plan the re-entry process. A schedule is expected within a week and a half, as our Premier committed to. Until then, my heart is with all those who have been displaced by this disaster. You have shown tremendous courage and resiliency throughout this crisis and we will stand by you today, tomorrow, and in the weeks, months and years to come.

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

From our Premier Rachel Notley May 13, 2016

Today, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and I visited Fort McMurray, as well as the provincial operations centre (POC) in Edmonton. Alongside those first responders tackling on the fire, the emergency response professionals who work at the POC have been instrumental in organizing the province's response to the wildfires in northern Alberta, the support we're providing to evacuees, and planning for recovery and re-entry. Their expertise and their selfless dedication to fighting the fires and to the well-being of evacuees reminds us all of the tremendous value of our public service, and I offer my sincere gratitude for their continued efforts.
The Prime Minister and I had the chance to see firsthand the destruction of the wildfires visited on Fort McMurray and neighboring communities - it is truly heartbreaking. But in this crisis, we've seen once again the extraordinary resilience of Albertans; we have also witnessed that profound spirit of giving and support that defines what it means to be an Albertan, and a Canadian. We look out for one another. And when our fellow citizens are in need of help, we have each other's backs.
So let me also take a moment to thank all Canadians in every part of this country for their outpouring of support for the people of Fort McMurray.
Your help, your donations, and your prayers are profoundly meaningful to us all in this very, very difficult time. And we will never forget them.
Now of course the recovery work has only just begun. The governments of Alberta and Canada are working closely together to provide joint support to the Red Cross and to partner on disaster response and recovery now and in the future. Our shared aim is to help Fort McMurray and other affected communities get back on their feet. This is the work of years, not weeks or months, but we will be there every step of the way. The wildfire recovery task force is meeting daily to plan re-entry into Fort McMurray and affected communities. The Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo is working with the province on this effort.
The recovery of the municipality will occur in phases. The primary focus right now is ensuring safety and stabilizing the community. As you probably have heard us say before, the five conditions that need to be met to insure safe re-entry include:
  1. that the wildfire is no longer an eminent threat to the community,
  2. that critical infrastructure is repaired to provide basic levels of service,
  3. that hazardous areas are secured,
  4. that local government is re-established and
  5. essential services such as fire, water, and wastewater, EMS, police, health care and food are restored to at least a basic level.
Officials on this issue will be reaching out today. They will have started reaching out today to community members in particular who offer services such as grocery stores, gas stations, and pharmacies, to have them come back home to start re-establishing these services.
I know that it's very trying time, and I want to express our gratitude for the patience of the residents of the residents of Fort McMurray. They’ve been heroes themselves in this disaster to this point. Step by step, I know that we will recover, and we will emerge stronger than ever before - I am very confident of that. Albertans have always shown that when we're faced with challenges, we come together, and this is true in Fort McMurray.
I also want to thank our Prime Minister and the federal government for his support and his government's tremendous support during these difficult days. When Alberta asked for the assistance of the Canadian Armed Forces in the early days, it was provided swiftly, abundantly and with no questions asked. And for that, you have our great thanks.
Now, as Canadians know, before these fires started the people of Fort McMurray and all of Alberta were confronting the economic consequences of the collapse in oil prices. The fall in energy prices has resulted, as you know, in tens of thousands of layoffs throughout the province. For many families, this continues to be an additionally scary time, and what Albertans across the province are worried about their jobs and their futures.
The Prime Minister and I have had the opportunity to discuss the impact of the downturn in oil prices in Alberta and throughout Canada. I want to acknowledge the very sincere interest that the federal cabinet have demonstrated in helping Alberta meet the challenges ahead. A few weeks ago I spoke to the federal government about how we can make progress together on important issues like market access, climate change, and diversifying Alberta's economy.
We also spoke about the need to extend employment insurance to unemployed Albertans in Edmonton. When energy prices were very high, very few qualified for benefits because unemployment here was lower and earnings were higher than in other parts of the country. But, given the oil price shock, we knew these rules to change. And, as I said at the time, the federal government deserves credit for extending benefits for many Albertans for up to 20 weeks. It was an important step in the right direction but as we discussed then, a little more needed to be done.
This decision to expend EI benefits underscores the commitments that we owe to each other as citizens of this great country. Because when we stick together, when we have each other's backs, and when we work together as citizens for our collective well-being and future, we are all stronger and more secure.

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

I found it interesting this week when the fire chief spoke about this particular fire  on the news. " we have to rewrite the books on this fire , it was like non other we ( fire fighters ) have ever experienced in its intensity and unpredictableness"  a very emotional  interview.  In the interview  he called it a beast ....

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/it-was-a-beast-after-fire-came-for-his-city-fort-mcmurray-chief-addresses-it-as-an-almost-personal-foe

Yes they view it as a living thing.... It created its own weather system and started fires elsewhere, it jumped a river.  It seems to me, almost supernatural.  Many expressed that they felt they were in a movie or expressed similarity to biblical Armageddon.  YET no one was killed.  Two younger ones died on a highway driving away from it, but no one lost their life to it. 

On 5/8/2016 at 2:01 AM, jgsfrelancer said:

Hello everyone, our family is one of the brothers who lost our house. 

We had our sunday meeting this morning (10.30 local time) with the Fort McMurray brothers (English + Tagalog Cong combined) held in NW Edmonton kingdom Hall. Lots of hugging going on and crying.

First song was really touching. The talk was delivred by the English CO. Talk was fantastic, very timely. This is the highlight of the meeting today because everyone in that room are crying, it's hard to sing that song. 

I will answer questions later. 

We have not heard back from Aelon since he wrote the above post. He hasn't logged in here since the day he wrote it. I hope he's okay. Does anyone from Edmonton have any contact with him?

On the other hand, I don't blame him for not concerning himself with the forum. He's likely up to his head in things that need his utmost priority at this time. Until such time as he is in shape to give us an update, our prayers and sentiments are with him.

7 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

I've looked at the wildfire's clouds from both side 

(My apologies to Joni Mitchell) 

I saw that post and thought that sounds like a Judy Collins song...was it Joni Mitchell ?..

(too lazy to googly right now )

Horrible fire, here in California we have seen our share...

Two years(3?) ago,  just at the start of the R.C., there was a fairly large and fast moving fire that threatened several home of families in our Congregation.  They all attended the convention,  no homes were lost...

We add Fort Mac fire to our prayers for the relief of our Brothers and Sisters around the world that are struggling in these last days..

32 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

I saw that post and thought that sounds like a Judy Collins song...was it Joni Mitchell ?..

(too lazy to googly right now )

Horrible fire, here in California we have seen our share...

Two years(3?) ago,  just at the start of the R.C., there was a fairly large and fast moving fire that threatened several home of families in our Congregation.  They all attended the convention,  no homes were lost...

We add Fort Mac fire to our prayers for the relief of our Brothers and Sisters around the world that are struggling in these last days..

Reminds me of the time another Sister and I attended the D.C. in Sacramento.

We got to the motel we were staying at, and this huge brushfire was raging right behind it.

We kept an eye on it all night, in case we had to toss everything back into our rental and take off.

I got to do the driving.  

Going from two lanes to this:

Insanity ONE.jpg

was a bit...unnerving.Scared Releaved Quaking in Fear.gif

You had to know, like two miles ahead of time, which exit you needed to take, so you could

move over into the proper turn lane.  (This was pre-GPS and google maps.)

After missing an exit for the umpteenth time, I finally pulled into this restaurant parking lot, where

a sheriff's deputy was parked.

I rolled my window down and asked him if there was some sort of school I could go to to learn how to

drive in California.

He grinned and said, "Yeah.  It's called: 'By the seat of your pants'."

:uhhuh:

Oh well, it could have been worse...

Could have been worse.jpg

Scared Run Away Run Away.gif

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

"Yeah.  It's called: 'By the seat of your pants'."

:uhhuh:

Oh well, 

See now, being raised in Southern California and honing my driving skills in Los Angeles and points beyond, that dont bother me a bit...

I could go from fast lane to exit in the space that your picture shows.

With no fatalities. .

Or traded paint..

I pulled across 3 lanes a couple of days ago and Denise said she didn't even close her eyes that time...she did break a nail tho...but I don't require stitches...

(ok, I'm just playing around.  She didn't break a nail)

9 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

See now, being raised in Southern California and honing my driving skills in Los Angeles and points beyond, that dont bother me a bit...

I could go from fast lane to exit in the space that your picture shows.

With no fatalities. .

Or traded paint..

I pulled across 3 lanes a couple of days ago and Denise said she didn't even close her eyes that time...she did break a nail tho...but I don't require stitches...

(ok, I'm just playing around.  She didn't break a nail)

I was going to tell her that she was talking to the wrong guy, we use to play on the freeway when we were kids...:)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

20 hours ago, cerebral ecstasy said:

Yes they view it as a living thing.... It created its own weather system and started fires elsewhere, it jumped a river.  It seems to me, almost supernatural.  Many expressed that they felt they were in a movie or expressed similarity to biblical Armageddon.  YET no one was killed.  Two younger ones died on a highway driving away from it, but no one lost their life to it. 

Thats what I hear everyone saying Sharon that it was apocalyptic.  Terrifying no doubt , there will be a lot of Post Traumatic Stress  come out of this one.....I hope it makes for opening conversations in the ministry in FM .  

I have no doubt that it will make for interesting conversation in the FM, but as to it opening any eyes.  Not entirely certain.  We can only pray that it does. There are things in the world of health that resemble biblical plagues and none take any note there either.  There was such an outpouring of support from all areas, that it shows there are those who have generous spirits, but do they have a heart to know Jehovah, we can only beg him that it be so.

The camps themselves, bunks etc might be burned but the oil areas themselves not likely.  There are often km's of cleared area for this very reason.

People were evacuated because the fire has continued with a vengeance and they are trying to push for re-entry and it's just not safe enough yet.  The fire gained some 70,000 hectares again last night for a total of nearly 422,000 burned :(

I suspect due to wind it will be bigger tonight, we are in desperate need of a decent rain, but not too much or there will be flooding...

Hello Brothers and Sisters!

First of all, I am sorry for the late posting of this update. I have tried to avoid my phone and internet in the past few days. Anyway,  thank you a  million times for the outpouring concern and prayers for us who are directly affected by the fires and evacuation. 

I just read the whole thread today and realized I need to update you guys of what's going on. First things first, let me tell you the story/background of why I am here in Fort McMurray.

Four years ago, my parents lost their job in Quebec. It is a Frenchie province in Canada, of course we are not even fluent with English language, why worry about learning French, right? Brother W.  suggested to my family that Fort Mcmurray has a bigger needs. Well, Montreal  and big cities in Canada,  has needs too  but Fort McMurray is different since most of the Filipinos here are TFW (Temporary Foreign Worker), they are homesick, they are religious and they need that spiritual comfort. We also have that article that talks about stepping to Macedonia. After a few family worship discussion and prayers for guidance February 2011 my parents (+my siblings) decided to moved from Montreal to Fort McMurray. December 2012, I decided to visit my family. Few months later I decided to be with my family. First assignment in the congregation is to take care of the territory of the Tagalog Group. My Dad was an elder from Montreal Tagalog,  after few months, they recommended him to resume his privileges and serve as an Elder in the congregation and to take care of the group. A year later since my family's moved, congregation officially announced the formation of the Tagalog Group and we can have Sunday Meeting in the second hall. Around the same time, my  parents decided to purchased a house since it is  practically cheaper to purchase a house than living in an apartment.  And the service group is in our house which (which now is gone).

Few months after, we invited brothers to our house to stay and help us but nothing works out. The original brother who told my parents to come to Fort Mcmurray decided to  stay with us. Few months after, he decided to settle. Few CO visits later, there are now 3 Tagalog elders who will take care of the group. We  (as a group) slowly separated our meetings from the English Congregation.  Every CO visits since we moved, there was a steady increase of our territory which leads to my story this year.  First week of February, was our very first Tagalog Circuit Visit. Recommendations  were made and second week of May, the GB approved the formation of Wood Buffalo Tagalog Congregation to be effective May 1st.  

An eventful week followed.  

1st of May, the smoke was all over the city. After our bible study with my dad, we went home and saw this fire. Just a normal wildfire. It was only 2 miles (or 3 km) away from our house.

That day was supposed to be our very first mid-week meeting after becoming a congregation. 

I have prepared images for everyone.  

Narrative VGvx8

Modesty is not something we can simply define in a way that suits us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean.