JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

A "devout" JW?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4607 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The person in this news article has been identified by his son, a radio DJ, as being a "devout Jehovah's Witness" who does not believe in standing for the national anthem.

Play the "Cell phone video" and then listen to the news report that follows it.

I don't know of a "Devout" Witness who would sneak an illegal weapon into a sporting event. Do you?.It is a shame that brings reproach on Jehovah's name!

I wonder what the true story is?

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/09/13/south-carolina-man-uses-illegal-taser-at-cowboys-jets-game/

So, does this look like a "devout" JW?

50198=2521-Tazer.JPG No offense to those of you who have beards, but it is "very" unusual here in the states. Usually, devote is not the words we would use - more like inactive. Anyway, no "devout" JW would break the law - let alone carry a tazer. And then lose their cool to the point of actually tazing someone!

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

What's really scary about this, is the report said that there was a marine sitting in the row with this guy and the marine was upset that this guy didn't stand for the National Anthem.

Preview of things to come possibly.

As I realize this could go down the conversation of self-defense, let's post our printed stand on this:

True, some do not really intend to use lethal force. They may say they carry a weapon just to scare off harassers. But says Health magazine: “Firearms instructors agree: Don’t get a gun if you aren’t prepared to use it. Waving a firearm around as a bluff can scare off some assailants, but will only enrage others.”

What about “safer” weapons, such as chemical sprays? Besides the fact that they are illegal in some places, these weapons have serious drawbacks. Instead of immobilizing a drug-crazed attacker, they may only succeed in infuriating him. It is even possible that the wind might blow the chemical into your face rather than the attacker’s—assuming you get the spray out in the first place. Seeing you rummaging through your pockets or purse, the assailant may assume you are reaching for a gun and decide to take some aggressive action of his own. One police detective thus comments: “There is no guarantee that mace [a chemical spray], or any other weapon, will work. Or that you will have it out in time. Weapons never help a situation. People put too much faith in them.”

Weapons—The Godly View

The threat of violence was real back in Jesus’ day. One of his most famous parables, commonly called the parable of the Good Samaritan, related an incident involving violent robbery. (Luke 10:30-35) When Jesus asked his disciples to equip themselves with swords, it was not for protection. In fact, it led to his stating the principle: “All those who take the sword will perish by the sword.”—Matthew 26:51, 52; Luke 22:36-38.

True Christians, therefore, do not arm themselves so as to harm their fellowman. (Compare Isaiah 2:4.) They follow the Bible’s advice at Romans 12:18: “If possible, as far as it depends upon you, be peaceable with all men.” Does this mean being defenseless? Not at all!

Wisdom—Better Than Weapons

This has not changed! In fact, if you use the index you will see it is listed as "Christian View" - under "Self-Defense"

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Interesting articles-

It is similar if one of Jehovah’s Witnesses insists on carrying or having firearms for protection against humans, or on learning the martial arts. The spiritual elders should take immediate steps to counsel and help him to remedy the situation. (Micah 4:3) Anyone who thus continues to carry personal arms or otherwise equips himself to become “a smiter” would cease to qualify for special privileges in the congregation.—1 Timothy 3:2, 3.

Soon .....

From a worldly person's standpoint, it may not take much to be considered "devout."

We have brothers and sisters from all walks of life and all backgrounds. Some of those backgrounds include mental instability.

Other brothers and sisters are spiritually weak or spiritually immature.

Yet these brothers and sisters may never be missing from the meetings. Or they may readily and firmly speak about their love and devotion to Jehovah. Despite their mental and/or spiritual limitations, they may indeed love Jehovah and fiercely defend him.

And all an outsider sees is someone who talks about Jehovah all the time, would never step foot in a church of Christendom or speak ill of the Brothers. To them, this makes an individual devout.

Never mind that they may be irregular, inactive or have other problems.

So' date=' does this look like a "devout" JW?

50198=2521-Tazer.JPG No offense to those of you who have beards, but it is "very" unusual here in the states. Usually, devote is not the words we would use - more like inactive. Anyway, no "devout" JW would break the law - let alone carry a tazer. And then lose their cool to the point of actually tazing someone![/quote'] Whatdoyawant, It's FOX NEWS and I think I saw that guy's picture in the Post Office..............:raspberry:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Am I missing where it says he's a JW? I don't see anything saying that but I guess I'm missing it.

It makes sense since he evidently wasn't standing or removing his cap during the the national anthem. I can't imagine most any non JW doing that. But I dont see where it says that.

The person in this news article has been identified by his son, a radio DJ, as being a "devout Jehovah's Witness" who does not believe in standing for the national anthem.

I don't know of a "Devout" Witness who would sneak an illegal weapon into a sporting event. Do you?.It is a shame that brings reproach on Jehovah's name!

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/09/13/south-carolina-man-uses-illegal-taser-at-cowboys-jets-game/

Too bad Jehovah's name had to come up in this fiasco. If he was a Catholic would his son say that he was a devout Catholic? No. Nobody ever mentions what religion a law-breaker is........unless it's one of us (or someone just associating with the congregation)!

What's really scary about this, is the report said that there was a marine sitting in the row with this guy and the marine was upset that this guy didn't stand for the National Anthem.

Preview of things to come possibly.

I can understand someone getting upset with somebody talking loudly

during something that others feel was deserving of respect. That would get me irritated too. That's just plain rude, and this guy doesn't look or sound like or ACT like a JW! I agree that he's probably inactive or maybe just studying OR he claims to be a Witness because his wife is, or something like that. (My husband told people he was a Witness, but mainly because he didn't want to have to buy X-mas and birthday presents!)(td)

I watched the main video and never heard it.

Then I saw there was a little video at the bottom near the end of the article, and that is the one that included the comment at the very end.

I think somebody who does not like us tossed that little "detail" in there.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

'A devout Jehovah's Witness' does not show disrepect for the anthem or the flag - we respect them, just do not worship or pledge allegiance. I had the understanding that we stood to show respect, am I mistaken?

It's a conscience matter. One that we recently discussed too. Check out this topic....

http://www.jwtalk.net/forum/read.php?10,42714,42714#msg-42714

{{Edit: Fixed link. - Bob}}

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I watched the main video and never heard it.

Then I saw there was a little video at the bottom near the end of the article, and that is the one that included the comment at the very end.

I think somebody who does not like us tossed that little "detail" in there.

When I posted the link, that "little video at the bottom" was the main and only video on the story, then they added a new one and knocked the previous one to the bottom of the page.

Too bad Jehovah's name had to come up in this fiasco. If he was a Catholic would his son say that he was a devout Catholic? No. Nobody ever mentions what religion a law-breaker is........unless it's one of us (or someone just associating with the congregation)!

I totally agree.... JW's suddenly become devout once they have done something wrong and the news gets hold of it, they would never ever describe themselves as devout Catholics, Baptists etc.

This man is obviously not a actual JW, maybe he has studied in the past? the newspapers are good at picking up on this and then giving it legs.... oh and that is the most awful beard ever !!!:raspberry:

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.