JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

MOBI Publication Downloads Discontinued

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2339 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

As of October 3, 2016, publications in MOBI format will no longer be available on jw.org. If you have an Amazon Kindle device, you can obtain our publications using one of the following methods:

Download publications in the JW Library app. This free app is available from the Amazon Appstore.

Download publications in PDF format from jw.org. If you currently subscribe to a podcast of The Watchtower or Awake! in MOBI format, you may wish to create a new subscription in PDF format. Use the PODCASTS link on the PUBLICATIONS > MAGAZINES page.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I use my Kindle quite a bit. The E-ink screen is a must have for reading in bright sunlight. Where did this notice come from because I have not seen it yet. Was there a letter from the Branch that I missed?

Newer iPads also have a function making it possible to read in sunlight.

https://www.jw.org/en/whats-new/mobi-downloads-discontinued/

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I send a PDF file to my Desktop PC. Then I have the "Send to Kindle" program installed. So I right click on the PDF file and select "Send to Kindle". It converts file to Kindle format. Quite a simple process once you install the program

I hate to show my ignorance, but this is the only way I can learn. What

is MOBI anyway ? Just so you all have a good laugh, when I read the

announcement on JW.org and read it was connected to the "Amazon",

I thought it must have something to do with our brothers in South Amer-

ica and figured there must not be enough response to justify the cost

outlay.

GStorrs46

39 minutes ago, GStorrs46 said:

I hate to show my ignorance, but this is the only way I can learn. What

is MOBI anyway ? Just so you all have a good laugh, when I read the

announcement on JW.org and read it was connected to the "Amazon",

I thought it must have something to do with our brothers in South Amer-

ica and figured there must not be enough response to justify the cost

outlay.

GStorrs46

That's right. 5 1/4" floppy disks will no longer be personally delivered to the rainforest.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

2 hours ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

3 hours ago, GStorrs46 said:

What is MOBI anyway ?   GStorrs46

It was the file format for the Mobipocket ebook reader used by Google's Kindle tablet.  It was used by devices with very limited resources (memory).  It was discontinued by Google in 2011.

On 9/27/2016 at 2:31 PM, Brother Arellano said:

I use my Kindle quite a bit. The E-ink screen is a must have for reading in bright sunlight. Where did this notice come from because I have not seen it yet. Was there a letter from the Branch that I missed?

I have an e-ink Kindle as well. I use the computer a lot, so switching to a reflective technology (paper is a reflective technology, just a really old one :P) reduces eyestrain. I can read on it much longer than backlight technology (computer screens, ipads, smartphones, and the like).

So for me, it's much more than just reading in bright light. It's a fundamental difference in how the technology is perceived by the eyes.

That said, yes, Calibre is a wonderful tool for converting formats. :)

• 1 year later...

I'm considering buying a kindle device as they are a good bargain right now and I always wanted to have an e-ink reader - The first time I saw one in a store I was astonished at how resemblance to real paper it was!

Anyone can share their experience with converting our magazines in epub format to mobi format? How good it is? the links to scriptures are kept?

And the bible? did anyone converted it to the kindle device?

thanks

I use my kindle e-reader for reading from the platform. I love it because it’s compact and and glare isn’t a big issue. I have the Bible in .mobi from when they were still available. But for the watchtower or other study materials I use Calibre to convert them to a compatible format. It works fairly well. Just remember to always read through the material on your kindle before you go to meeting because weird formatting issues can happen. As far as footnotes and scriptures in the material they usually still work well. 

2 hours ago, Brother Arellano said:

I use my kindle e-reader for reading from the platform. I love it because it’s compact and and glare isn’t a big issue. I have the Bible in .mobi from when they were still available. But for the watchtower or other study materials I use Calibre to convert them to a compatible format. It works fairly well. Just remember to always read through the material on your kindle before you go to meeting because weird formatting issues can happen. As far as footnotes and scriptures in the material they usually still work well. 

Thanks

Do you have experience on the difference between an originally provided mobi file (from JW) and one converted? Functionality wise

Can you send me your bible file by PM?

Thank you very much

On November 27, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Brother Arellano said:

For your next eInk reader, you may wish to consider switching to the other major brand (Kobo). It supports directly downloading ePubs from our official website using the built in browser.

eInk is my favourite screen technology as well, but I've had several Kobos since they're more popular in Canada and never had a Kindle. And I'm very happy ePub files are still available on our website! 

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

For your next eInk reader, you may wish to consider switching to the other major brand (Kobo). It supports directly downloading ePubs from our official website using the built in browser.

eInk is my favourite screen technology as well, but I've had several Kobos since they're more popular in Canada and never had a Kindle. And I'm very happy ePub files are still available on our website! 

I did look at these, but the kindle gets much better battery life. I only have to charge my kindle every couple months. Plus I paid half the cost of the cheapest Kobo for mine.

Just now, Brother Arellano said:

only have to charge my kindle every couple months

Same goes for my Kobo Aura H2O.

As for price, I can certainly understand, but some may feel it's worth paying a bit more (and actually outside the US they tend to be cheaper than the american Kindle) to have a device that supports the formats used by our organization without having to connect it up to the computer and run a conversion process in order to side load the publications from our website.

Each kindle has it's own email address that you can send the magazine to. But the Wtlib will just download them to the app. At least mine does. My battery is not that good but I understand the new ones are. 

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I noticed that battery life is actually better on a kindle with ads, which is how I purchased it. I actually lost mine and found it about four months later in the lost & found box at another kingdom hall. It was still at 15% battery life. After paying to remove the ads I noticed that my battery life has diminished.