JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Why inbreeding is bad

Inbreeding is a huge taboo around the world as well asin the Bible, but Ive always wondered why Adam and Eves children (siblings) or Abraham and Sarah (half siblings) or Jacob and Leah and Rachel (1st cousins) or other close relatives could have normal offspring with seemingly no ill effect.

The answer has always been "because they were closer to perfection" but why should that matter?

Saw this video on youtube that I thought was interesting.

Many of us carry negative recessive genes that we are completely unaware of.  They are only expressed if both parents carry that recesive gene and the offspring receives it from both parents.  If the offspring receives it from neither or just one, the trait is not expressed.

Since close relatives share similar sets of genes there is a much higher likelihood that multiple negative recessive genes will be inherited from both parents and expressed by their children.  This is what can cause the deformities, mental disabilities and illnesses that inbred children experience.

It could be that since Adam and Eves children and other Bible characters were closer to perfection that they simply didnt have as many negative recessive genes to pass on.  Few negative genes to pass on, few negative traits expressed in their offspring.

These genes may have appeared as mutations over time the further mankind got from perfection, leading to the awareness that inbreeding produced markedly more defects.

Edited by JSmith

Perhaps Jehovah miraculously  made it to where their offspring in the beginning didn't have similar DNA. Think of Noah's children sons for example. They all produced different races but came from the same father.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

I don't know, I mean who wouldn't want to marry der cousins pretty sister who iz also yer aunt.  She has all her teeth.  :blink:

All kidding aside, I also think that Jehovah would have preserved the genetic make up of the individuals through whom his son was to be born to.  It was one of the reasons why they were cautioned as well to not mix with the other nations.

The genetics would have been preserved too through priestly lines, because no one with a physical disorder was permitted to be a priest.  http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200002023

Then this article makes a good point too: 

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200001647

If either Matthew’s or Luke’s genealogy of Jesus had been in error, what an opportunity it would have been for these opponents to prove it then and there! For until 70 C.E. they evidently had ready access to the public genealogical registers and the Scriptures.

The same is true regarding the first-century pagan enemies of Christianity, many of whom were, like those Jews, learned men who would readily have pointed to any evidence that these lists of Matthew and Luke were unauthentic and contradictory. But there is no record that the early pagan enemies attacked Christians on this point.

Not sure if the Ashkenazi Jews can trace their heritage back to biblical times (I've read yes, and no) some say that's the line of Aaron.

Anyhow, because they were geographically isolated about 1 out of 4 people of Ashkenazi Jewish heritage is a carrier of one of Gaucher disease, cystic fibrosis, Tay-Sachs disease, familial dysautonomia, or Canavan disease, not to mention the women from that population carrying the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes when coupled with this heritage nearly always leads to breast cancer. 

https://www.fredhutch.org/en/events/cancer-in-our-communities/ashkenazi-jewish-communities.html

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

7 minutes ago, leoperales said:

Sorry Richard. 

That's ok, I brought enough for both of us...:D

popcorn time.jpg

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Oh, and I did find one vote for inbreeding in my immunology text.  If for example you had a horrible disease in your family, and you had a close relative without it, who wasn't heterozygous for the gene (that means dominant gene gets expressed, and the recessive gene is suppressed, but the children would be if you have relations with a person who also has the recessive gene)

If yer cousinz pretty sister with the teeth was homozygous dominant, the immune system pulls alleles from mom and dad, and they sit so closely on the gene that they're inherited together.  So say if you had a brother and a sister with different genes on the same loci, the genetic defect could be corrected.... in the child.  I think.  

:sick:

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

Well judging from you folks, we'll have popcorn, humor and a whole lot of laughing and fun going on in whatever basement/holdup during the g/t. I just hope I am in with some of you all!!!!! :lol: :wub:

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.