JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Origin of Everyday Things

Jeans

Jeans were born in 1850. When young Levi Strauss came to San Francisco, he brought lots of canvas to build tents for labourers working in gold mines. He was doing fine until one day a worker jokingly requested him to make pants for him with that canvas because his pants got torn in the mine very quickly. Nonetheless, Levi stitched the pants for him and it was a great success.

Soon all the workers were wearing Levi’s canvas pants. Levi abandoned his previous business of making tents and started making pants instead! When the canvas stock was over, he made denim pants. He coloured them blue. The workers liked these too. For the next 20 years, Levi’s business flourished in this manner.

In 1872, a Russian tailor Jacob Davis wrote to Levi Strauss. He suggested brass rivets on the seams of these pants. This would make these pants stronger. Davis suggested a partnership. In 1873, they opened their own company by the name of Lewis Strauss and Company.

Till 1920, however, only workers wore these pants. Later, some film stars and other renowned people wore Levi jeans, and it became a fad. In 1940, some schools designed their uniform with jeans. Since then, jeans have been the favourite dress of the young generation.

As jeans reached higher circles, it was modified as per their status. Famous film star Lana Tuner had diamond-studded jeans. Henry Kissinger also wore the best-fitted jeans. The Levi Strauss Museum in San Francisco displays a pair of jeans worn by a woman regularly for 17 years.

So brothers,

Are u into jeans?

I grew up learning that jeans should be avoided.

But some time back when i went to bethel, i saw a brother wearing jeans pant and doing work.

Has anything changed ?

Sent from my LG-E988 using Tapatalk

Jeans? Yep, a part of every day life here. But, somehow, I remember something on denim not being okay for meetings, service. A sister  wore a denim skirt yesterday to the meeting. I just thought, "interesting", and moved on to another thought. Until that thought is undone, in my mind, somehow, denim is fine for at home, but, not in my formal spiritual activities! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I also like jeans, but not for spiritual activities. That said, the brother at Bethel may have a work assignment that reasonably precludes the wearing of dress pants. You wouldn't want to stain your dress pants while working in the garage, or rip them moving furniture around, for example. Or any type of job that is physical in nature. Jeans just move better than dress pants would. These are instances where wearing jeans would be reasonable.

I tend to wear Dickies Brand work pants. They hold up just as well for my line of work. Are comfortable and wash well. They also dry quickly. Much quicker than jeans.

That said, my oldest daughter has a long Denim dress skirt she wears to some of the meetings. Perhaps it is because we are in the rural South (Florida) that no one seems to mind.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I wear jeans almost daily at my place of work - I work in an office but a lot of my job involves being in the factory and the store room and I find a nice tidy pair of jeans to be the best thing to wear. I tried wearing dress trousers but found they got dirty very quickly and were not very comfortable with all of the moving around I have to do.

I, too, will not wear denim to spiritual activities - I used to own some lovely denim skirts and dresses but I could never bring myself to wear them to the meetings or out in service - to me they just looked too casual.