JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2016

Sunday, October 2

On its own the ground bears fruit gradually.—Mark 4:28.

When an individual progresses to the point that he is motivated to serve God, he bears fruit in the sense that he dedicates his life to Jehovah and gets baptized. Jehovah is the one who makes the truth grow in the hearts of “rightly disposed” ones. (Acts 13:48; 1 Cor. 3:7) We plant and water, but we do not control the growth. We cannot force it or speed it up. Just like the man in Jesus’ illustration of the sower who sleeps, we do not know how the growth takes place. (Mark 4:27) It often goes unnoticed by us as we go about our normal, daily activities. In time, though, the Kingdom seed may bear fruit. The new disciple then joins us in the harvest work, and we benefit from his assistance. (John 4:36-38) Dedication, however, is something that must spring from a willing heart motivated by love for God. Anything less would not be acceptable to Jehovah.—Ps. 51:12; 54:6; 110:3. w14 12/15 2:4-6

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monday, October 3

The gift God gives is everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord.—Rom. 6:23.

As Adam’s descendants, we inherited sin and death. (Rom. 5:12) No imperfect human can give God a ransom for his life or that of others. (Ps. 49:6-9) By his death, however, Jesus paid the only acceptable ransom price—his perfect body and shed blood. By presenting to God the value of the ransom, Jesus made it possible for us to be delivered from sin and death and to receive the gift of eternal life. (1 Cor. 15:21, 22) The ransom provision proves that God loves the world of mankind. (John 3:16) Jesus’ sacrifice is evidence that he too loves us. Why, during his prehuman existence as God’s “master worker,” Jesus “was especially fond of the sons of men”! (Prov. 8:30, 31) Gratitude to God and his Son should move us to be present at the commemoration of Jesus’ death, thus obeying the command: “Keep doing this in remembrance of me.”—1 Cor. 11:24. w15 1/15 2:4, 5

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Tuesday, October 4

Though you do not see him now, yet you exercise faith in him.—1 Pet. 1:8.

When we become disciples of Christ, we embark on a journey. That journey can lead us to life, whether in heaven or on earth. Jesus said: “The one who has endured to the end [the end of his present life or the end of this wicked system of things] will be saved.” (Matt. 24:13) Yes, if we stick to a life course of faithfulness, we can come in line for salvation. Along the way, however, we must be careful not to get distracted or lost. (1 John 2:15-17) How can we stay on course on our journey? Our Exemplar, Jesus, led the way. His journey was recorded in the Bible. By studying that record, we learn what Jesus is like. We can come to love him and exercise faith in him. (1 Pet. 1:8, 9) Recall that the apostle Peter said that Jesus left us a model for us to follow his steps closely. (1 Pet. 2:21) If we carefully follow his steps, we will reach “the goal” of our faith—salvation. w15 2/15 2:1, 2

Wednesday, October 5

I tell you the truth, I do not know you.—Matt. 25:12.

During the great tribulation, faithful anointed ones cannot help any who had turned unfaithful. There will be no help available. It will simply be too late. What end, then, will such ones face? Jesus explains what happened when the foolish virgins went off on their futile errand: “The bridegroom came. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was shut.” When Christ comes in his glory near the end of the tribulation, he will gather his faithful anointed ones to heaven. (Matt. 24:31; 25:10; John 14:1-3; 1 Thess. 4:17) The door will, indeed, be shut to the unfaithful ones, who prove to be like the foolish virgins. They may, in effect, cry out: “Sir, Sir, open to us!” But they receive an answer like the one that so many goatlike ones receive in that hour of judgment: “I tell you the truth, I do not know you.” How sad!—Matt. 7:21-23; 25:11, 12. w153/15 2:12

Sobering thought.  I was reflecting on what these words actually mean.  I could only conclude that a companion that was once close and held the same shared values now has turned in such a direction that you can not even believe they are the same person.  They may physically look the same but you can only shake your head in disbelief and wonder what could have happened to make them change so much.  The piercing  pain you feel is palpable to a heavy degree.  Then yet, think about the time you may have met a stranger and geared the conversation in order to witness to them to only find out they were trying to witness to you too!  Or you have observed someone at a distance and knew they must be a witness.  Both of these have happened to me on more than one occasion.  

If you have ever been in a difficult situation where someone has actually cut ties with you over something they did not like, it can jar you to your senses and make you reevaluate what you said or  did.  It is also hurtful when after a period of time they continue to act like they do not recognize you.  I think about the timely broadcast this month re: forgiveness.  Perhaps we need to look at each other with not so critical of an eye and realize that we will rub each other the wrong way from time to time but we are all serving the same true God, Jehovah.  After you place someone in a time out, shouldn't you eventually reconnect?

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Thursday, October 6

Why should you be afraid of a mortal man who will die and of a son of man who will wither like green grass?—Isa. 51:12.

Faith in Jehovah will help you to conquer your fears. If powerful officials try to restrict your freedom to worship God, it may seem that your life, welfare, and future are in human hands. You might even wonder if it is wise to continue serving Jehovah and angering the authorities. Remember: The antidote to fear of man is faith in God. (Prov. 29:25) Focus your attention on your almighty Father. He sees, empathizes with, and acts in behalf of those who suffer under unjust rulers. (Ex. 3:7-10) Even if you must defend your faith before powerful officials, “do not become anxious about how or what you are to speak, for what you are to speak will be given you in that hour.” (Matt. 10:18-20) Human rulers and government officials are no match for Jehovah. By strengthening your faith now, you can come to see Jehovah as a real Person who is eager to help you. w14 4/15 2:8, 9

17 minutes ago, Victoria said:

It is the food at the proper time for the brothers and sisters in Birobijan where I live:)

Please remember there are many brothers and sisters who are keeping your situation among others in our prayers to Jehovah!  One red haired sister in Oklahoma for sure.  I hope you and others take comfort in knowing you are serving as an example for us so when our time comes we too can prove loyal.

LeslieDean

Friday, October 7

Let your words always be gracious.—Col. 4:6.

In our ministry, we usually speak to individuals. Each person has his or her unique background and problems. (2 Chron. 6:29) When trying to share the good news with someone, ask yourself: ‘If our roles were reversed, how would I want this person to view me? Would I be pleased if he viewed me only as a nondescript resident of the neighborhood? Or would I prefer that he get to know me as a person?’ Considering such questions can remind us to treat each householder as an individual. No one likes to be labeled “a negative person.” Being imperfect, however, we sometimes say things that we later regret. (Jas. 3:2) If we were to speak unkindly to someone—perhaps because we were having a bad day—we would not want to be labeled “rude” or “inconsiderate.” We would hope that the other person would be understanding. Should we not show others the same consideration? w14 5/15 2:5, 6

Saturday, October 8

[The Samaritan] approached him and bandaged his wounds.—Luke 10:34.

In an effort to help with the healing process, the neighborly Samaritan poured oil and wine on the injured man’s wounds. The two denarii left with the innkeeper for the man’s care amounted to about two days’ wages. (Matt. 20:2; Luke 10:29-37) It is often difficult to find compassionate people like the neighborly Samaritan. Especially is this so in these critical “last days” when multitudes have no natural affection, are fierce, and lack a love of goodness. (2 Tim. 3:1-3) Consider what happened when Hurricane Sandy struck New York City late in October 2012. In one hard-hit section of the city, looters preyed on residents who were already suffering because of a lack of electricity, heat, and other necessities. In the same area, Jehovah’s Witnesses organized a program that enabled them to help one another as well as others. Christians do such things because they love their neighbor. w14 6/15 2:3-5

Sunday, October 9

I will prove to be with you.—Ex. 3:12.

Can you imagine how you would feel if you had to stand before the most powerful ruler on earth and speak up in behalf of Jehovah’s people? You would likely feel anxious, inadequate, and intimidated. What could you do to add power to your words as a representative of the almighty God? Moses was in that exact situation. Jehovah had told him, “the meekest of all the men on the face of the earth,” that he was being sent to Pharaoh to rescue God’s people from their oppression and slavery in Egypt. (Num. 12:3) As events would prove, Pharaoh was a disrespectful and arrogant man. (Ex. 5:1, 2) Yet, Jehovah wanted Moses to order Pharaoh to let several million of his slaves leave the country! Understandably, Moses asked Jehovah: “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?” Moses must have felt inadequate and incapable. But God assured him that he would not be alone.—Ex. 3:9-11. w14 8/15 2:1, 2

Monday, October 10

Renounce unrighteousness.—2 Tim. 2:19.

God’s Word gives specific advice concerning the types of unrighteousness that Christians must renounce or reject. For instance, in the immediate context of 2 Timothy 2:19, we find that Paul tells Timothy “not to fight about words” and to “reject empty speeches.” (2 Tim. 2:14, 16, 23) Some members of the congregation were promoting apostate teachings. Today, Jehovah’s people are not often confronted with apostasy within the congregation. Still, when exposed to unscriptural teachings, regardless of the source, we must decisively reject them. It would be unwise to engage in debates with apostates, whether in person, by responding to their blogs, or by any other form of communication. Even when the intention is to help the individual, such conversation would be contrary to the Scriptural direction we are given. Rather, as Jehovah’s people, we completely avoid, yes reject, apostasy. w14 7/15 2:9, 10

I find this most helpful to me ... sometimes I reason to myself that it's all about intentions, but it's not always, we have to be cautious as serpents. I've been more cautious recently in how I witness online ... just because I suspect apostates are on the fringe. So even if I think i'm helping someone it's not worth the risk. I'll have to ask Jehovah for more wisdom in this area. Amazing day's text today.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Yes. When I hear people voice things that are not true,  I try to consider the source , intentions and what their motives are to say such things.  Is it truly innocent and a lack of knowledge or are they being vindictive perhaps having had some past association with JWs, or family members which our JWs. If I don't know the above answers I will just ask them outright what they based their conclusion on.  Then I tread lightly and give my source for correction.  Depending on their attitude and comeback I will proceed from there.  I am at a point in my life that I can no longer sit back and not say anything when Jehovahs teachings are being misrepresented whether purposely or mistakenly. I try with all my might and one quick prayer for Jah to use me in the right way at that time and to build up my courage in taking a firm stand. 

LeslieDean

Tuesday, October 11

I see in my body another law warring against the law of my mind and leading me captive to sin’s law that is in my body. Miserable man that I am!—Rom. 7:23, 24.

Satan would like to destroy your relationship with Jehovah, whether with frontal attacks of persecution or by slowly nibbling away at your faith through subtle attacks. One of the most effective subtle tactics Satan uses is discouragement. The apostle Paul admitted to feeling discouraged at times. Now, why would Paul—a spiritual “giant” who likely was a member of the first-century governing body—call himself a “miserable man”? Paul said that he felt this way because of his imperfections. He really wanted to do what was right, but he felt another force working against him. If you on occasion struggle with such feelings, do you not find it comforting to know that even the apostle Paul faced a similar challenge?w14 9/15 2:12

Wednesday, October 12

I will make with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah a new covenant.—Jer. 31:31.

Long before the Law covenant was canceled, Jehovah foretold through the prophet Jeremiah that He would make with the nation of Israel “a new covenant.” (Jer. 31:32, 33) That covenant would be unlike the Law covenant in that it would make possible the forgiveness of sins without the need for animal sacrifices. Centuries later, Jesus instituted the Lord’s Evening Meal on Nisan 14, 33 C.E. Speaking of the cup of wine, he told his 11 faithful apostles: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood, which is to be poured out in your behalf.” (Luke 22:20) Matthew’s account quotes Jesus as saying regarding the wine: “This means my ‘blood of the covenant,’ which is to be poured out in behalf of many for forgiveness of sins.” (Matt. 26:27, 28) Jesus’ shed blood validates the new covenant. That blood also makes possible the forgiveness of sins once and for all time. w14 10/15 2:7-9

What a daily scripture.
What can we learn about Jehovah God from this.
(1) humans( Israelites) were the one to break the covenant, not Jehovah.
(2) Jehovah God foretold of how there will be another covenant.
(3) the new covenant was two folded. For the anointed, it promised them the Kingdom.
For us ,the other sheep, it promised forgiveness of sins.
How wise of Jehovah to think like this.

Jeremiah 31:32,33 becomes a great prophetic scripture for us all.

Sent from my C6802 using Tapatalk

Thursday, October 13

By means of him we have the release by ransom through the blood of that one, yes, the forgiveness of our trespasses.—Eph. 1:7.

The sacrificial death of Jesus Christ, who willingly ‘handed himself over for us,’ has profound meaning for all who love him and his Father. (Gal. 2:20) Nonetheless, it was what Jesus did after his death and resurrection that truly released us, making forgiveness of our sins possible. Jesus fulfilled what was foreshadowed in the Mosaic Law on the Day of Atonement. On that day, the high priest took some of the blood of the sacrificial animals into the Most Holy of the tabernacle, and later into Solomon’s temple, and presented it before God, as if in his presence. (Lev. 16:11-15) In like manner, Jesus entered heaven itself with the value of his human blood and presented it to Jehovah. (Heb. 9:6, 7, 11-14, 24-28) How grateful we are that we have our sins forgiven and our consciences cleansed because we exercise faith in the blood of Jesus! w14 11/15 2:13

Friday, October 14

The one slow to anger is better than a mighty man, and the one controlling his temper than one conquering a city.—Prov. 16:32.

Do not expose your mate’s weaknesses or harp on his idiosyncrasies—not even jokingly. Remember that marriage is not a competition to find out who is stronger, who can shout louder, or who can think of the most cutting remark. True, we all have flaws, and sometimes we upset others. But there is never a justifiable reason for either a husband or a wife to use sarcastic and demeaning speech, or worse, to shove or hit each other. (Prov. 17:27; 31:26) It takes great moral strength to imitate the greatest man who ever lived, Jesus Christ, and to control one’s spirit. A man who verbally or physically abuses his wife is anything but manly, and he will lose his relationship with Jehovah. The psalmist David, who himself was a strong and courageous man, said: “Be agitated, but do not sin. Have your say in your heart, upon your bed, and keep silent.”—Ps. 4:4. w15 1/15 3:16, 17