JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2016

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting this the text for today, when yesterday I had to go to court to testify against my dad.  I've been so nervous and stressed out about it for a while, and I've been praying to get through it and for it to work out.  An elder and his wife came with me so I didn't have to go alone, and they prayed with me and gave me support.  I prayed the whole time, and read my bible.  In the end, I was able to keep calm and it worked out.  All thanks to Jehovah.  Without him, I wouldn't have made it through all the stress.

~Van

Sunday, August 7

He continued steadfast as seeing the One who is invisible.—Heb. 11:27.

Pharaoh was a formidable ruler and a living god to the Egyptians. Imagine, then, how Moses felt when Jehovah told him: “I will send you to Pharaoh, and you will bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt.” (Ex. 3:10) Moses went to Egypt, proclaimed God’s message, and incurred Pharaoh’s wrath. After nine plagues struck the land, Pharaoh warned Moses: “Make sure that you do not try to see my face again, for on the day you see my face, you will die.” (Ex. 10:28) Before Moses left Pharaoh’s presence, he prophesied that the king’s firstborn son would die. (Ex. 11:4-8) Finally, Moses instructed every Israelite family to slaughter a goat or a ram—an animal sacred to the Egyptian god Ra—and to splash its blood on their doorways. (Ex. 12:5-7) How would Pharaoh react? Moses was not afraid. Why not? Note the words of today’s text. w14 4/15 2:1, 2

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Monday, August 8

Jehovah your God is with you wherever you go.—Josh. 1:9.

Jehovah God really was with Joshua wherever he went. For instance, consider what happened as the Israelites were encamped near the Canaanite city of Jericho. In 1473 B.C.E., Joshua sent two men to spy out Jericho, and there they met the prostitute Rahab. She hid them on the roof of her house, concealing them from potential captors sent out by Jericho’s king. Rahab told the Israelite spies: “I do know that Jehovah will give you the land . . . , for we heard how Jehovah dried up the waters of the Red Sea before you . . . and what you did to the two kings of the Amorites.” She added: “Jehovah your God is God in the heavens above and on the earth beneath.” (Josh. 2:9-11) Because Rahab aligned herself with Jehovah’s organization of that time, God saw to it that she and her household were spared when the Israelites conquered Jericho. (Josh. 6:25) Rahab exercised faith, had reverence for Jehovah, and showed respect for his people. w14 5/15 3:8, 9

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Tuesday, August 9

I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; those too I must bring in, and they will listen to my voice, and they will become one flock, one shepherd.—John 10:16.

Today, “a great crowd” of Jesus’ “other sheep” give their loyal support to anointed Christians, who make up “the Israel of God.” (Rev. 7:9, 10; Gal. 6:16) The great crowd also share the God-given name Jehovah’s Witnesses. During the Thousand Year Reign of Christ, the great crowd will have the unspeakable joy of explaining to resurrected ones what it was like to be one of Jehovah’s Witnesses during the last days of this system of things. But our doing this will be possible only if we prove true to our name now and strive to remain holy. Also, no matter how hard we try, we must daily ask forgiveness for any lack of holiness, recognizing that we are sinners and that being allowed to bear God’s holy name is an indescribably great honor.—1 John 1:8, 9. w14 7/15 3:12, 13

Wednesday, August 10

Holy spirit has appointed you overseers, to shepherd the congregation of God.—Acts 20:28.

It is important that we show appreciation for God’s arrangement for shepherding his flock. Christian elders are a provision from Jehovah, who always acts in our best interests. The elders are “like a hiding place from the wind, a place of concealment from the rainstorm, like streams of water in a waterless land, like the shadow of a massive crag in a parched land.” (Isa. 32:1, 2) How we appreciate a shelter from a strong wind or from a chilling rainstorm! When the hot sun is beating down on us, we are grateful for the shade provided by a crag. These figures of speech help us to see that the elders provide needed spiritual help and refreshment. By obeying those taking the lead among us, we show how much we appreciate these “gifts in men” and give evidence of our love for God and for Christ, the Head of the congregation.—Eph. 4:8; 5:23; Heb. 13:17. w14 6/15 1:19

Thursday, August 11

Into these very things, angels are desiring to peer.—1 Pet. 1:12.

Jehovah could have had the angels do the writing of the Scriptures. After all, they have a keen interest in us and our activities. No doubt, the angels could have written down God’s message to mankind. But would they have seen things from a human perspective? Would they have been able to relate to our needs, our weaknesses, and our aspirations? No, Jehovah knew their limitations in this regard. By having humans write the Bible, Jehovah made it more personal for us. We can understand the thinking and emotions of Bible writers and others mentioned in the Scriptures. We can empathize with their disappointments, doubts, fears, and imperfections as well as rejoice in their joys and successes. Like the prophet Elijah, all the Bible writers had “feelings like ours.”—Jas. 5:17. w14 8/15 3:12

Friday, August 12

You will be beaten in synagogues and be put on the stand before governors and kings.—Mark 13:9.

As those words indicate, some Christians will face tribulation in the form of physical persecution, perhaps at the instigation of religious or political leaders. (Acts 5:27, 28) Consider Paul’s example. Did he cower at the thought of being subjected to such persecution? Not at all. (Acts 20:22, 23) Paul bravely stood up to Satan’s frontal attacks and stated: “I do not consider my own life of any importance to me, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to bear thorough witness to the good news of the undeserved kindness of God.” (Acts 20:24) Clearly, Paul did not feel intimidated by the prospect of persecution. On the contrary, he was determined to endure, come what may. His primary concern was to “bear thorough witness” despite any tribulation. w14 9/15 2:7, 8

Saturday, August 13

I will put enmity between you and the woman and between your offspring and her offspring.—Gen. 3:15.

How intense would this enmity be? “He [the offspring of the woman] will crush your [Satan’s] head, and you will strike him in the heel,” said Jehovah. The enmity between the serpent and the woman would be so fierce that Satan would spare no effort to obliterate her offspring. It is no wonder that the psalmist cried out in prayer to God about His chosen people: “Look! your enemies are in an uproar; those who hate you act arrogantly. With cunning they secretly plot against your people; they conspire against your treasured ones. They say: ‘Come, let us annihilate them as a nation.’” (Ps. 83:2-4) The line of descent of the offspring of the woman had to be protected from extermination and contamination. To accomplish this, Jehovah made binding legal arrangements that would protect the fulfillment of his purpose. w14 10/15 2:1, 2

Sunday, August 14

If she cannot afford a sheep, she must then take two turtledoves or two young pigeons.—Lev. 12:8.

According to the Mosaic Law, the Israelites were to offer specific sacrifices. (Lev. 9:1-4, 15-21) The sacrifices were to be unblemished because they pointed to Jesus’ perfect sacrifice. Moreover, with each type of offering, or sacrifice, a specific procedure was to be followed. For example, consider what was required of the mother of a newborn child. Leviticus 12:6 states: “When the days of her purification for a son or a daughter are completed, she will bring a young ram in its first year for a burnt offering and a young pigeon or a turtledove for a sin offering to the entrance of the tent of meeting, to the priest.” God’s requirements were specific, but his loving reasonableness shines radiantly in the Law, as shown in today’s text. Though poor, this worshipper was loved and appreciated just as much as the one bringing a more costly offering. w14 11/15 3:11

Monday, August 15

The Kingdom of the heavens is like a treasure, hidden in the field . . . Again the Kingdom of the heavens is like a traveling merchant seeking fine pearls.—Matt. 13:44, 45.

In these two parables, Jesus showed that the truth is found in different ways. Some people are searching for it and have gone to great lengths to find it. Others, although not searching for it, have found it—perhaps by having it brought to them. Whatever the case, each man recognized the value of what he had found and was willing to make huge sacrifices to get ahold of it. How can we benefit from these two illustrations? (Matt. 6:19-21) Ask yourself: ‘Do I have the attitude that these men had? Do I treasure the truth in a similar way? Am I willing to make sacrifices to get ahold of it, or do I allow other things to distract me from it?’ (Matt. 6:22-24, 33;Luke 5:27, 28; Phil. 3:8) The deeper our heartfelt joy about finding the truth, the stronger our determination to keep it first in our life will be. w14 12/15 1:16-18

Tuesday, August 16

Clothe yourselves with the tender affections of compassion.—Col. 3:12.

“The tender affections of compassion” are part of the new personality that all Christians are expected to put on. (Col. 3:9, 10) How can you cultivate tender feelings for others? Open your heart wide. (2 Cor. 6:11-13) Listen carefully when someone shares his feelings and concerns. (Jas. 1:19) Use your imagination and ask yourself: ‘If I were in his situation, how would I feel? What would I need?’ (1 Pet. 3:8) Do you know of a widow who needs help with repairs on her home? Is there an elderly Christian who needs transportation to get to the meetings, to go out in the ministry, or to go to the doctor? Even a small act of kindness can make a big difference in the life of a fellow worshipper in need. (1 John 3:17, 18) Above all, we can show tender concern for others by having a full share in the ministry. There is no greater way to make a difference in the lives of honesthearted ones! w15 2/15 1:14, 15

Wednesday, August 17

Continue putting up with one another and forgiving one another freely.—Col. 3:13.

One of the crucial building blocks of an enduring marriage is forgiveness. The marriage relationship is undermined when a couple keep a mental record of old grudges and often use them as ammunition for fresh attacks. Just as cracks can weaken a building, grievances and resentment can develop in our heart, making it increasingly difficult to be forgiving. By contrast, strong marriage bonds are forged when husband and wife treat each other in a forgiving way, as Jehovah treats them. (Mic. 7:18, 19) True love “does not keep account of wrongs.” (1 Cor. 13:5, ftn.) To counteract a tendency to be unforgiving, work on having a thankful and appreciative disposition. Make a practice of giving your spouse sincere commendation. (Col. 3:15) Experience the peace of mind, unity, and divine blessings that come to those who have a forgiving disposition.—Rom. 14:19. w151/15 3:11-13

_Day Text Extra Comments: 17 Aug 16, Wednesday._

*```w15 1/15 p. 19 - Build a Strong and Happy Marriage```*

Some challenges in a marriage are inevitable, but they are not insurmountable. To compound matters, “the last days” are characterized by selfish, ungodly attitudes that are toxic to a marriage. (2 Tim. 3:1-4) Hurt feelings, misunderstandings, and miscommunications caused by the imperfect tongue can be a challenge in the best of marriages. (Jas. 3:2, 5, 8) Marriages have to withstand the determined onslaughts of a malicious enemy. The apostle Peter warns us: “Your adversary, the Devil, walks about like a roaring lion, seeking to devour someone.”—1 Pet. 5:8; Rev. 12:12. Satan knows that weak marriages create weak families, weak families cause weak congregations, and weak congregations a weak organization. However, with Jehovah’s help, couples can enjoy a solid and happy union.(Read Psalm 127:1.) 

******************************************************************************************************************

*The Fence*

There was as a boy👦🏻 with a bad temper😡. His father👴🏼 gave him a bag of nails and told him that every time he lost his temper, to hammer 🔨a nail in the back fence🖼.

The first day the boy had driven 37 nails into the fence. Then it gradually dwindled down. He discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those nails into the fence.

Finally the day came when the boy didn't lose his temper at all☺. He told his father about it and the father👴🏼 suggested that the boy now pull out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper.

The days passed and the young boy was finally able to tell his father that all the nails were gone.

The father took his son by the hand and led him to the fence. *```"You have done well, my son, but look at the holes in the fence. The fence will never be the same. When you say things in anger, they leave a scar just like this one. You can put a knife in a man and draw it out, it won't matter how many times you say I'm sorry, the wound is still there. A verbal wound is as bad as a physical one."```*

They say marriages are made in heaven, but believe me the maintenance🔧🔩must be done on earth.

🕊🐑🐎

Sent from my C6802 using Tapatalk

Thursday, August 18

The virgins who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast.—Matt. 25:10.

A quality that helped those virgins to be ready was vigilance. Would it be possible for individual anointed Christians to get sleepy during a long nighttime vigil? Indeed. Note that Jesus says of the ten virgins that “they all became drowsy and fell asleep.” Jesus knew well that even a willing, eager spirit may be hampered by the weakness of the flesh. Faithful anointed ones have heeded that implied warning and have worked ever harder to remain vigilant, watchful. In the parable, all the virgins responded to the nighttime shout: “Here is the bridegroom!” But only the vigilant ones endured to the end. (Matt. 25:5, 6; 26:41) What about faithful anointed ones today? Throughout the last days, they have responded to strong evidence that, in effect, cries out, “Here is the bridegroom”—just about to come. They have also endured, keeping ever ready for the Bridegroom to arrive. w15 3/15 2:2, 9

Friday, August 19

If anyone does not provide for those who are his own, and especially for those who are members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith.—1 Tim. 5:8.

The apostle Paul directed that when older Christians cannot make ends meet, their children and grandchildren should “repay their parents and grandparents what is due them.” But Paul went on to urge all Christians to be content with their daily necessities—food, clothing, and shelter. We should not constantly be striving for a higher standard of living or for future financial security. (1 Tim. 5:4; 6:6-10) To ‘provide for one’s own,’ a Christian does not need to seek material riches in this world, which will soon pass away. (1 John 2:15-17) We must not let “the deceptive power of riches” or “anxieties of life” put at risk our family’s “firm hold on the real life” in God’s righteous new world!—Mark 4:19; Luke 21:34-36; 1 Tim. 6:19. w144/15 4:9

Saturday, August 20

The eyes of Jehovah are on the righteous, and his ears listen to their supplication.—1 Pet. 3:12.

The righteous include “a great crowd” who “come out of the great tribulation.” (Rev. 7:9, 14) These survivors are not just “a crowd.” They are “a great crowd”—a very large number of people. Do you see yourself among them as a survivor of “the great tribulation”? Where do those making up the great crowd come from? They are being brought together because of what Jesus foretold as part of the sign of his presence. He said: “This good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.” (Matt. 24:14) In these last days, this is the chief work of God’s organization. Because of the global preaching and teaching activity of Jehovah’s Witnesses, millions of people have learned to worship God “with spirit and truth.”—John 4:23, 24. w145/15 4:6, 7

Sunday, August 21

This good news of the Kingdom will be preached.—Matt. 24:14.

The postwar year of 1919 opened up the possibility for a worldwide witness to be given about God’s means of salvation and the good news of the established Kingdom. Anointed Christians seized this opportunity to witness, resulting in thousands more anointed ones being gathered to become Christ’s joint heirs. From the mid-1930’s onward, it became evident that Christ had started to gather millions of his “other sheep,” who would make up a multinational “great crowd.” Under the direction of anointed Christians, this great crowd also follow the courageous example of Jesus and publicly make known that they owe their salvation to God and Christ. By enduring in this witness work and continuing to exercise faith in Christ’s ransom, these ones will be privileged to survive “the great tribulation,” which will bring an end to Satan’s world.—John 10:16; Rev. 7:9, 10, 14. w14 7/15 4:10-12

Monday, August 22

If errors were what you watch . . . who, O Jehovah, could stand?—Ps. 130:3.

Had you been there with Moses when Aaron made a statue of a golden calf, how would you have felt about Aaron’s weak excuses? (Ex. 32:21-24) Or how would you have considered Aaron’s attitude when he criticized Moses for marrying a foreign woman? (Num. 12:1, 2) How would you have reacted when Aaron and Moses failed to honor Jehovah at the time He miraculously provided water at Meribah? (Num. 20:10-13) In each of these situations, Jehovah could have punished Aaron on the spot. But He discerned that Aaron was not a bad person or gravely at fault. And when he was confronted with his own mistakes, he readily admitted them and supported Jehovah’s judgments. (Ex. 32:26; Num. 12:11; 20:23-27) Jehovah chose to focus on Aaron’s faith and repentant attitude. Centuries later, Aaron and his descendants were still remembered as fearers of Jehovah.—Ps. 115:10-12;135:19, 20. w14 6/15 3:11, 12

Tuesday, August 23

Let the one who thinks he is standing beware that he does not fall.—1 Cor. 10:12.

Consider King David of ancient Israel. As a young person, he was victorious over the Philistine giant Goliath. David became a soldier, a king, a protector, and a decision-maker for a nation. But when David relied on himself, his heart deceived him and he committed a serious sin with Bath-sheba, even arranging to have her husband, Uriah, killed. When disciplined, David humbly admitted his error and reestablished his relationship with Jehovah. (Ps. 51:4, 6, 10, 11) So let us heed the advice found in our text for today and not become overconfident. Since we are unable to ‘direct our step,’ eventually we will listen either to the voice of Jehovah or to the voice of his Adversary. (Jer. 10:23) May we pray constantly, follow the leadings of the holy spirit, and always listen closely to Jehovah’s voice.—Isa. 30:21.w14 8/15 4:17, 18

Wednesday, August 24

Let each one examine his own actions, and then he will have cause for rejoicing in regard to himself alone.—Gal. 6:4.

The greatest privilege any human can have is one that all of us share. It is that of being a fellow worker with Jehovah in the Christian ministry. This is a privilege to be cherished! As long as Satan’s world exists, our possibilities of service to Jehovah may be limited. We may have no control over our family responsibilities, health, or other circumstances. But that is no reason to be unduly discouraged. Never underestimate your potential for working with God by bearing witness to his name and making known his Kingdom at every opportunity. Of prime importance is that you are working with him to the extent possible for you personally and that you are praying for his blessing to be with your brothers who are able to do more than you can. Remember, every person who praises Jehovah’s name is precious in his eyes! w14 10/15 3:16, 17

Thursday, August 25

The last enemy, death, is to be brought to nothing.—1 Cor. 15:26.

When they were created, Adam and Eve had no enemies whatsoever. They were perfect humans who lived in a paradise. They enjoyed a close relationship with their Creator as his son and daughter. (Gen. 2:7-9; Luke 3:38) Their life prospects were indicated in the very commission God gave them. (Gen. 1:28) To “fill the earth and subdue it” could be accomplished in a certain amount of time. But to continue to ‘have in subjection every living creature that is moving on the earth,’ Adam and Eve would need to live forever, Adam never having to abdicate his oversight by dying. Although they had the prospect of living forever, Adam and Eve were not immortal. To keep living, they had to breathe, drink, sleep, and eat. More important, their lives depended on their relationship with their Life-Giver. (Deut. 8:3) Accepting God’s guidance would be essential for their continuing to enjoy life. w14 9/15 4:1, 3