JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2016

Thursday, June 16

Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. Who has created these things?—Isa. 40:26.

Regarding stars, the Houston, Texas, Chronicle reports on a recent study suggesting that there are “300 sextillion of them. . . . That is a 3 followed by 23 zeros.” The stars are organized into galaxies, each containing billions or even trillions of stars, as well as many planets. Most galaxies are further organized into groups called clusters and into larger superclusters. Like the righteous spirit creatures in heaven, the physical heavens are superbly organized. (Dan. 7:10) Therefore, it is logical to conclude that Jehovah would organize his servants on earth. That is vitally important because they have so much important work to do. The splendid record of faithful service established by Jehovah’s worshippers past and present provides powerful evidence that he has been with them and that he is “a God not of disorder but of peace.”—1 Cor. 14:33, 40. w14 5/15 3:3, 4

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James 4:8 draw close to God and He will respond. Creation is a good way to do this. Observe it and meditate on what can be learned about our Creator. How? 2000 Watchtower, Oct 15 - 4 steps:

1. Observe - Isaiah and Psalmist - an example - astronomy like today's text. Ps 19:1 similar. Or as Jesus said - observe INTENTLY the birds.
2. Meditate - love, justice, wisdom & power. He is happy and not wasteful - efficient. Yet, He is very generous. 
3. Maintenance - good communication - speak (pray) and listen (Bible reading). Tell Him your thoughts and feelings about 1 & 2.
4. Serve together with God - faithful men of old "walked with God" - as if He was right there with them.  Like David wrote at Psalms 16:8 — I keep Jehovah before me constantly. Because he is at my right hand, I will never be shaken.

Let's do this today. :wave:

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Friday, June 17

Happy is anyone who shows consideration to the lowly one.—Ps. 41:1.

When we assist “the lowly one,” not only do we imitate Jehovah but we also gain his approval. (Eph. 5:1) Admittedly, though, a negative view of those in need may at times hold us back from assisting them. Or because we are not sure of what we should say, we may feel embarrassed and withdraw from some who are having a hard time. Cynthia, a sister whose husband abandoned her, comments: “If brothers avoid you or do not act the way you would expect close friends to act, it can hurt. When you are going through trials, you need people around you.” David of old knew the feeling of being avoided. (Ps. 31:12) We will likely be more empathetic if we remember that some of our dear brothers and sisters have been weakened by adverse circumstances—suffering from poor health, living in a divided household, or coping with depression. We might find ourselves in a similar situation one day.w14 6/15 3:7, 8

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Empathy - understanding another's feelings and emotions. This word does not appear in the Bible, but this quality is seen - especially with Jah, for example "touching you is touching my eye."

1 Peter 3:8 we all need to work on. Most have this built in - when we see refugees or ones starving. However it is easier for us to judge mistakes than appreciate feelings.

We had an Awake about empathy and how we can sharpen it in us: listen , observe and imagine.

Listen - ask good questions also. David listened to Abigail 1 Samuel 25:32, 33 - even altered his course. Don't have a preconceived approach.

Observe - not all will tell you everything. Some are depressed or down. Can we sense it, observe it? Mom knows how I feel before I talk with her - easier to talk to. Jesus also Luke 24: 17 (looking sad) Asked questions and observed.

Imagine - ask if I were in that person's situation how would I respond, feel, need? Opposite of Job's "comforters". Imagine walking a mile in their shoes.

Do this and empathy will grow. We need this quality now more than ever!

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Saturday, June 18

How long, O Jehovah?—Isa. 6:11.

Isaiah wanted to know for how long God’s nation would remain unrepentant. God’s answer? “Until the cities crash in ruins without an inhabitant and the houses are without people and the land is ruined and desolate.” (Isa. 6:8-11) Isaiah received his commission in the last year of King Uzziah’s reign, or about 778 B.C.E. He continued his prophetic service for some 46 years until after 732 B.C.E., well into the reign of King Hezekiah. That was 125 years before Jerusalem’s destruction in 607 B.C.E. Thus, ample advance notice of what was going to happen to their nation in the future was given to God’s people. Today, Jehovah has also had his people give ample notice of what lies ahead. For 135 years, from its very first issue, The Watchtower has called on its readers to be awake to the fact that Satan’s wicked rulership will soon end and be replaced by the Thousand Year Reign of Jesus Christ.—Rev. 20:1-3, 6. w14 7/15 3:8, 9

Sunday, June 19

It is as a free gift that they are being declared righteous . . . through the release by the ransom paid by Christ Jesus.—Rom. 3:24.

What a vital role Jesus has in our being close to God! Only through Jesus can humble people come to know Jehovah and enjoy closeness and intimacy with him. How do the Scriptures highlight this truth? Paul wrote: “God recommends his own love to us in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” (Rom. 5:6-8) Jesus’ ransom sacrifice was provided, not because we are worthy, but because we are loved. “No man can come to me unless the Father, who sent me, draws him,” said Jesus. On another occasion, he stated: “No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 6:44; 14:6) It is by means of holy spirit that Jehovah draws individuals to himself through Jesus and helps them to remain in His love with everlasting life in view.—Jude 20, 21. w14 8/15 3:8, 9

Monday, June 20

In a good pasture I will feed them.—Ezek. 34:14.

Parents, do you not have a similar goal spiritually? You want to guide your children to serve Jehovah. You want your children to feel as did the psalmist who wrote: “To do your will, O my God, is my delight, and your law is deep within me.” (Ps. 40:8) Young ones who develop such appreciation will dedicate their life to Jehovah and get baptized. Understandably, they should take such a step when they are mature enough to make that decision and have a genuine desire to serve Jehovah. What, though, if your children do not seem to be making spiritual progress—perhaps even questioning their faith? Strive to inculcate in them a love for Jehovah God and an appreciation for all that he has done. (Rev. 4:11) Then when they are in a position to do so, they will be able to make a personal decision about worshipping God. w149/15 3:13, 14

Tuesday, June 21

Be obedient to those who are taking the lead among you.—Heb. 13:17.

Faithful servants of Jehovah have always been eager to submit to theocratic direction. We may initially lack full understanding of the reasons for carrying out our assigned work in a particular way. Nevertheless, we are fully aware of the benefits of cooperating with Jehovah in any adjustments that he sees fit to make. A strong desire to accomplish Jehovah’s will is seen in the way the elders take the lead in the congregation. (2 Cor. 1:24; 1 Thess. 5:12, 13) They manifest a willingness to work hard and to keep in step with changing circumstances. They eagerly adjust to new ways in which our work of preaching God’s established Kingdom is to be done. Although some may at first have been hesitant about organizing telephone witnessing, harbor witnessing, or public witnessing, they soon saw good results. Are you eager to try new witnessing initiatives? w14 10/15 3:8, 9

Wednesday, June 22

Stop keeping company with anyone called a brother who is sexually immoral.—1 Cor. 5:11.

A heartrending experience for Aaron’s family is recorded at Leviticus 10:1-11. They must have been devastated when fire from heaven consumed Aaron’s sons Nadab and Abihu at the tabernacle. What a test of faith it was for Aaron and his family not to mourn their dead relatives! Are you personally proving yourself holy with regard to not associating with family members or others who have been disfellowshipped? We may not face as severe a test as that experienced by Aaron and his family. But what if we were invited to attend and participate in a church wedding of a non-Witness relative? No explicit Scriptural command forbids us to attend, but there are Bible principles involved in making such a decision. Of course, we try to avoid offending our relatives, but it is usually best to speak with them in a kind, though straightforward, way—well in advance of the event. w14 11/15 3:5-7

On the subject of attending church weddings/funerals, that quoted WT goes on to say: "Then we might say that because of the religious issues involved, our participation could interfere with the happiness of their special day and might be a source of embarrassment to them and others attending. This is one way that we could avoid compromising our beliefs and faith."

On the other hand, some situations mean that one feels obliged to attend a church service and their conscience is clean on their decision.  QR 2002 5/15 says: "Out of regard for her husband’s wishes, the wife may decide to go with him, being determined not to share in any religious ceremonies. ...  it would be to her advantage to explain to her husband that she could not conscientiously share in any religious ceremonies or join in the singing of hymns or bow her head when prayer is offered. On the basis of her explanation, he may conclude that his wife’s presence could give rise to a situation that might be unpleasant to him. He may choose to go alone out of love for his wife, respect for her beliefs, or a desire to avoid any embarrassment. But if he insists that she go with him, she might go as a mere observer. "

Either way, trying to stay holy in all our conduct is challenging, but we know it's worth it - Prov 27:11.

Edited by hatcheckgirl

Thursday, June 23

A vast mixed company also went with them.—Ex. 12:38.

When the Israelites left Egypt, they did not do so as various independent groups, each group going its own way. And when Moses “stretched out his hand over the sea” and Jehovah split the sea apart, Moses did not go through alone or with just a few of the Israelites. Rather, with Jehovah’s protection, the entire congregation passed through. (Ex. 14:21, 22, 29, 30) They displayed a spirit of unity, and they were accompanied by “a vast mixed company,” non-Israelites who sided with them. It is unimaginable that a few individuals, perhaps a group of young ones, would have gone off on their own, taking a route that they viewed as preferable. Would it not have been senseless to do so and miss out on Jehovah’s protection? (1 Cor. 10:1) The early Christians were also noted for working together. (Acts 2:42) This unity was especially evident during persecution, when they particularly needed one another.—Acts 4:23, 24. w14 12/15 3:7, 9

Friday, June 24

The head of every man is the Christ; in turn, the head of a woman is the man.—1 Cor. 11:3.

The context of that statement tells husbands how they should exercise their headship—in the same way that Christ exercises his authority over man. Jesus was never tyrannical or harsh but was always loving, kind, reasonable, mild-tempered, and lowly in heart. (Matt. 11:28-30) Christian husbands do not need to demand repeatedly that their wives show them respect. Rather, they “continue dwelling with them according to knowledge [showing them consideration; understanding them, ftn.].” They “assign them honor as to a weaker vessel, the feminine one.” (1 Pet. 3:7) In public and in private, husbands show by their respectful words and compassionate actions that their wives are precious to them. (Prov. 31:28) Such loving headship wins a wife’s love and respect and brings God’s blessing on the marriage. w15 1/15 3:7, 8

Saturday, June 25

The eyes of Jehovah are roving about through all the earth to show his strength in behalf of those whose heart is complete toward him.—2 Chron. 16:9.

God wants us to “search for what is good,” “love what is good,” and “do what is good” so that he may “show favor” to us. (Amos 5:14, 15; 1 Pet. 3:11, 12) Think, for example, of the Hebrew midwives Shiphrah and Puah. When Israel was under the yoke of slavery in Egypt, these two women feared God more than they feared Pharaoh, who had ordered them to kill all the male Hebrew children at birth. Evidently, their godly conscience moved them to preserve the lives of the babies. Shiphrah and Puah were later given families of their own. (Ex. 1:15-17, 20, 21) Their good deeds did not escape Jehovah’s roving eyes. Occasionally, we may feel that no one cares about the good we do. But Jehovah cares. He takes note of every good deed we have done, and he will repay us.—Matt. 6:4, 6; 1 Tim. 5:25; Heb. 6:10.w14 4/15 5:17, 18

Sunday, June 26

There will be great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning until now, no, nor will occur again.—Matt. 24:21.

The earthly part of Jehovah’s organization is moving ahead in various ways. For instance, our understanding of Bible truth is constantly becoming clearer. This is to be expected, for “the path of the righteous is like the bright morning light that grows brighter and brighter until full daylight.” (Prov. 4:18) But we might well ask: ‘Am I keeping pace with refinements in our understanding of Scriptural truth? Is it my custom to read the Bible daily? Am I an avid reader of our publications? Do I and my loved ones have a weekly Family Worship evening?’ Most of us will agree that it is not too hard to do these things. Often it is just a matter of setting aside time to do them. And how important it is to take in accurate Scriptural knowledge, apply it, and make spiritual progress—especially now that the great tribulation is drawing so close! w14 5/15 4:2, 10

Monday, June 27

Let us . . . approach the throne of undeserved kindness with freeness of speech, so that we may receive mercy and find undeserved kindness to help us at the right time.—Heb. 4:16.

Jehovah wants the best for us. (Ps. 1:1-3) He provides ample guidance just when we need it. Although he was perfect, Jesus depended on regular communication with Jehovah, and he prayed incessantly. Jehovah supported and directed Jesus in marvelous ways. He sent angels to minister to him, provided His holy spirit to help him, and guided him in selecting the 12 apostles. Jehovah’s voice was heard from the heavens, expressing His support and approval of Jesus. (Matt. 3:17; 17:5; Mark 1:12, 13; Luke 6:12, 13; John 12:28) Like Jesus, we need to pour out our heart in prayer to God. (Ps. 62:7, 8; Heb. 5:7) Through prayer, we can stay in close communication with Jehovah and successfully follow a course in life that brings honor to him. w14 8/15 4:15

23 hours ago, GrumpysWife said:

Monday, June 27

Let us . . . approach the throne of undeserved kindness with freeness of speech, so that we may receive mercy and find undeserved kindness to help us at the right time.—Heb. 4:16.

Jehovah wants the best for us. (Ps. 1:1-3) He provides ample guidance just when we need it. Although he was perfect, Jesus depended on regular communication with Jehovah, and he prayed incessantly. Jehovah supported and directed Jesus in marvelous ways. He sent angels to minister to him, provided His holy spirit to help him, and guided him in selecting the 12 apostles. Jehovah’s voice was heard from the heavens, expressing His support and approval of Jesus. (Matt. 3:17; 17:5; Mark 1:12, 13; Luke 6:12, 13; John 12:28) Like Jesus, we need to pour out our heart in prayer to God. (Ps. 62:7, 8; Heb. 5:7) Through prayer, we can stay in close communication with Jehovah and successfully follow a course in life that brings honor to him. w14 8/15 4:15

I don't have any one particular Scripture that I love, but this one Heb. 4 : 16, is at the top of the list! That is one thing I thank Jehovah for, frequently, is that undeserved kindness. I mean, where would we all be w/o it?

Tuesday, June 28

We continually remember your faithful work, your loving labor.—1 Thess. 1:3.

Full-time servants have significant responsibilities in the most important work the world has ever known. (Matt. 28:19, 20) Could you or your congregation lend a hand if the parents of full-time servants need help? Those who enter the full-time ministry do so, not to gain financially, but to give—to Jehovah and to others. They deeply appreciate any help you can render. A sister serving in a foreign land echoes the feelings of many: “Even a note expressing appreciation shows that others are thinking of you and that they are happy about what you are doing.” Serving Jehovah full-time is truly the most rewarding way of life. It is challenging, instructive, and fulfilling. And it is fine preparation for the long-lasting joyful service that awaits all faithful servants of Jehovah under God’s Kingdom. May all of us continually remember those in the full-time service. w14 9/15 5:20-22

Wednesday, June 29

Let the husband give to his wife her due, and let the wife also do likewise to her husband.—1 Cor. 7:3.

A husband needs to understand that the marriage due involves more than just physical union. A wife is more likely to enjoy marital intimacies if her husband is loving and affectionate at times other than when they have intercourse. When both show loving consideration, they are more likely to satisfy each other’s emotional and physical needs. Although there is no excuse for marital unfaithfulness, a lack of tenderness could contribute to a spouse’s seeking affection and intimacy from someone else. (Prov. 5:18; Eccl. 9:9) When each mate seeks, “not his own advantage, but that of the other person” and renders the marriage due as an expression of love rather than as a duty, affectionate intimate relations can strengthen the marriage bond.—1 Cor. 10:24. w15 1/15 4:16-18

Thursday, June 30

You were once not a people, but now you are God’s people.—1 Pet. 2:10.

Pentecost 33 C.E. was a milestone in the history of Jehovah’s people on earth. A radical change took place. On that day, by means of his spirit, Jehovah brought forth a new nation—spiritual Israel, “the Israel of God.” (Gal. 6:16) For the first time since the days of Abraham, God’s people would no longer be identified by fleshly circumcision. Instead, regarding each member of that new nation, Paul wrote: “His circumcision is that of the heart by spirit.” (Rom. 2:29) The first members of God’s new nation were the apostles and over a hundred other disciples of Christ who had met together in an upper room in Jerusalem. (Acts 1:12-15) These received the outpouring of the holy spirit, which made them spirit-begotten sons of God.—Rom. 8:15, 16; 2 Cor. 1:21. w14 11/15 5:1, 2

Friday, July 1

No crushed reed will he break, and no smoldering wick will he extinguish.—Isa. 42:3.

The apostle Matthew applied those words of Isaiah to Jesus. (Matt. 12:20) Jesus’ tender heart moved him to speak tenderly to others, especially to the downtrodden. He spoke in a way that lifted the spirits of those who were figuratively like a bruised reed or the wick of an oil lamp about to go out. He preached a message of hope “to bind up the brokenhearted.” (Isa. 61:1) He invited those who were “toiling and loaded down” to come to him, reassuring them that they would “find refreshment” for themselves. (Matt. 11:28-30) Jesus assured his followers that God had tender concern for each of His worshippers, including the “little ones”—those who may seem unimportant from the standpoint of the world. (Matt. 18:12-14; Luke 12:6, 7) How can we imitate Jesus in showing tenderness? Such emotions may not come naturally to us, but the Bible urges us to work at cultivating them. Then, tenderness will move us to want to make a difference in the lives of others, especially those who may be like a bruised reed or a smoldering wick. w15 2/15 1:13-15