JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

PoweredTools, which are your favorites?

Does this have to be tools you own or use - or any powered tools?

I noticed you didn't give any examples .......

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

11 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

OK, lets talk tools.

Gas powered, plug in, pneumatic, cordless ...what's your favorite tool? Home tool? Work tool? Handyman tool?

Floor machines, concrete machines?

I know you have a sawzall, I have one but I don't use it very much. I have the usual DIY stuff, cordless saws and drills, corded saws and drills, air compressor, pneumatic tools, stuff like that.

One of my favorite tools is an old Mark 5 Shopsmith, I've had it over 40 years and I still use it. It's a table saw, lathe, vertical drill press, disc sander, etc...

markv_model500.jpg

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

When we lose power –a generator is my favorite

Coffee maker-it’s a plug in

Hair dryer – so I don’t go to the KH with wet hair (like some do :confused: )

I just got this neat battery powered nail polisher/ buffer – liking it

I have a cordless screwdriver – love it (have to hide it from my husband or it disappears to the garage)

My Back-Vac for office cleaning is the ‘cats meow’ – our KH just purchased one

My computer/ tablet with wifi – lost without it

My brain –is that pneumatic? Sometimes

I'm really loving all the tools people have and love. And yes the electric massage chair is a tool, a tool for relaxing! I have a Tens unit and I consider it a tool.

And Tim what do you use the Lincoln SA-250 and a LN25 with .068 Fabshield 21B welding wire feeders for? Your profession?

Richard what have you done, in the last 40 years, with that old Mark 5 Shopsmith? It looks great, multi-function. I would love to learn to use something like that. Patty and I were talking on the way home from meeting Tuesday that in the NS we want to learn finish work on houses.

And the description of a tool is either powered or not. Sometimes people have antiquated hand tools they use in carving or finish work. I'd love to hear about those too.

I still have a swing machine and use it a few times a year when doing the bonnet method of carpet cleaning or to scrub a tile floor or strip a VCT floor.  It's hard work so I don't elect to do it as often as I used to. Ohhh, the propane burnishers, now THAT's a machine!

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

1 minute ago, bagwell1987 said:

Richard what have you done, in the last 40 years, with that old Mark 5 Shopsmith? It looks great, multi-function.

I just finished building a storage cabinet for the Assembly Hall electrical room, I install it tomorrow.  I used the table saw to cut the trim.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I really like my Rigid cordless tool kit. To begin with, it carries a lifetime warranty on batteries as well as the power tools. (Be sure to register )when you turn a broken/defective battery or tool in you're likely to get the latest model in its place.  The saw is very light weight. Wife prefers it over my old  worm drive Skill Saw. For most applications,  so do I. It doesn't have the torque but that is offset by the inconvenience of extension cord and/or generator. 

The 1/4" impact driver is also very handy. I have been using mine on everything from fences to transmission rebuilding. It will torque a 3/8 bolt right to spec. Bigger bolts will perhaps need 1/2 grunt on a hand tool but there it is. When it comes to dismantling, it takes the wind out of those long threads. If it's especially tight you only need to get it to budge then let the machine do the rest. The other tools are nice as well, but that's my tool of choice.

I do like the cordless skill saw set too. They're not so intimidating for a female. I would use them, I saw a demo of them in Home Depot and liked what I saw. We didn't get it cause Lew still has his old one that works. That's good for me, he can keep being the cutter!

Impact driver, YES! That tool takes the work out of work. Everything you said I said YES to as I read your post. I've seen Lew try to work on our rigs without one and it's way too much work. That tool is amazing.

I'd like to have a pneumatic chisel. I don't think our compressor is big enough to operate one so that would mean getting a new compressor, hmmm we'll see. We have about 1,000 SF of 20x20 tile to take up some day soon and it'd make the job that much easier. The tiles aren't set in very good so they won't be the problem but the thinset under them will need scraping. Whoever laid them did a poor job.

I do have to say I love my corded drill, it's about a 1980's version but still works when the batteries all poop out on the cordless.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

1 hour ago, bagwell1987 said:

And Tim what do you use the Lincoln SA-250 and a LN25 with .068 Fabshield 21B welding wire feeders for? Your profession?

Yup. I am retired now and kinda disabled but when I was hanging red iron

that would be the setup that I preferred.  The older Lincoln gas drive welders are called 'pipeliners' by all the cool kids, if you were talking to a crew of Ironworkers and said you had one it would be  'drop the mic, walk away'.  There are more modern rigs out there that can do the job (I almost said 'just as good', sacrilege! ) but making an old Pipeliner grunt is just cool. Kind of a  Tim the 'Toolman' Taylor  kind of kool... It's hard to put into words,  my keyboard is getting all blurry, I may have to step away for a moment and compose myself. ..

14 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

Yup. I am retired now and kinda disabled but when I was hanging red iron

that would be the setup that I preferred.  The older Lincoln gas drive welders are called 'pipeliners' by all the cool kids, if you were talking to a crew of Ironworkers and said you had one it would be  'drop the mic, walk away'.  There are more modern rigs out there that can do the job (I almost said 'just as good', sacrilege! ) but making an old Pipeliner grunt is just cool. Kind of a  Tim the 'Toolman' Taylor  kind of kool... It's hard to put into words,  my keyboard is getting all blurry, I may have to step away for a moment and compose myself. ..

...that's ok big guy, just soak in the memories for as long as you want...

I have a Black & Decker kit that I bought at a pawn shop in Nevada years ago..

It's a 14.4V sawzall, light, circular saw, drill, screwdriver, stud finder, two batteries and charger. The batteries died years ago so I bought a new 14.4V drill with two batteries and charger for less than two batteries cost, so now I have an extra, larger drill. Then the batteries died too..

I debated getting a new set but eventually decided to get two batteries from Amazon. One day I'll need to upgrade to a whole new kit and I'd like some suggestions.

I don't think I need to spend the money on a Dewalt kit, are the Milwaukee, Rigid or Ryobi kits any good?

I have a 24V lithium-ion battery drill I bought specifically to wind the stairlift to the top or bottom should it totally fail. I haven't had to use it yet. (There is a hex spindle accessible on the side for manual cranking.) I never got as far as attaching a reserve 24V battery pack.

Lots of other normal DIY hand tools.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Let's see -

We have

• a 10" Delta Contractors table saw built into a 5' x 12' table with a biesemeyer fence
  • Rigid Band Saw
  • Rigid and Ryobi drill/driver/saw kit
  • Rigid and Ryobi cordless sawsall
  • Harbor Freight corded sawsall
  • four different air compressors
  • Various air nailers and staplers
  • Wire welder
  • Buzz box
  • All my electronic toys
  • Oh, we also have one of those Shopsmith Mark V multi-tools with a couple of extra attachments

Not sure which one, if any, are my "favorite" - not to mention, I am sure I missed a few

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

I don't think I need to spend the money on a Dewalt kit, are the Milwaukee, Rigid or Ryobi kits any good?

Lew said get a Ryobi, because the battery fits everything they make, maybe everything.

Lew said he likes the old D8 Cat, there's nothing like the sound of it in a hard push, you can just hear that thing rumble. (I know it's a BIG tool but a tool non-the-less) All I've seen is huge tools he drags out of his crummy. One day I needed a crescent wrench......you should have seen that honey!! Must have weighed in at close to 5 pounds! That's a crescent wrench!

Then I needed to cut up a candle, (think I told this story before) was using one of my butcher knives, and not making much progress. Lew cam home, rolled his eyes at me, took my candle outside and brought out his mambo splittin' mall. Ta da, candle done is 30 seconds flat!

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I just finished building a storage cabinet for the Assembly Hall electrical room, I install it tomorrow.  I used the table saw to cut the trim.

Remember to take a picture. We love pictures!

7 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Lew said he likes the old D8 Cat,

Oh ... I forgot to include the BIG power tools.

We also have a New Holland TC40D Tractor with a backhoe and front loader

10 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

you should have seen that honey!! Must have weighed in at close to 5 pounds! That's a crescent wrench!

I used to use a 48 inch pipe wrench. Aluminum of course...:D