JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

PoweredTools, which are your favorites?

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

I have a Black & Decker kit that I bought at a pawn shop in Nevada years ago..

It's a 14.4V sawzall, light, circular saw, drill, screwdriver, stud finder, two batteries and charger. The batteries died years ago so I bought a new 14.4V drill with two batteries and charger for less than two batteries cost, so now I have an extra, larger drill. Then the batteries died too..

I debated getting a new set but eventually decided to get two batteries from Amazon. One day I'll need to upgrade to a whole new kit and I'd like some suggestions.

I don't think I need to spend the money on a Dewalt kit, are the Milwaukee, Rigid or Ryobi kits any good?

I like Dewalt and Milwaukee stuff but really I wouldn't spend extra money if I needed tools for domestic use only.

I bought Ozito hammer drill for $129 with battery and 5 years warranty ...happy with that.

d0e98b76-1015-4127-8442-cee5000813c0.jpg

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Greg, I love your garden tools. That honey is all in one?  Ohhh, jealous.

We have a Stihl 064 chainsaw, 2 Stihl weed whackers and a Poulan gas power blower and a Craftsman hedge trimmer. None of them new by any means but in good repair and used 3/4 of the year.

We're going to harbor freight in February looking for a pump and tank for our well. More money saving than using city water for the garden.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

17 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Greg, I love your garden tools. That honey is all in one?  Ohhh, jealous.

We have a Stihl 064 chainsaw, 2 Stihl weed whackers and a Poulan gas power blower and a Craftsman hedge trimmer. None of them new by any means but in good repair and used 3/4 of the year.

We're going to harbor freight in February looking for a pump and tank for our well. More money saving than using city water for the garden.

They are separate standalone tools ! I like shindaiwa tools ..made in Japan

Do you have them in US?

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

2 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

I would advise caution on using any Harbor Freight anything in a critical use application. ..A lot of their stuff is just not trustworthy and using it is a calculated risk.. They are....inexpensive, for a reason .

3 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

They are separate standalone tools ! I like shindaiwa tools ..made in Japan

Do you have them in US?

They are here, just a little expensive for the casual user. I know a couple of gardeners /landscaping guys that swear by them, pretty much all they use..

It's good gear...

Most of the garden /landscape guys run Stihl...it's a little better supported here, almost any hardware store has parts and accessories.  

Most of the tree guys use Stihl also. I got my dads chainsaw,  a Stihl MS210. 

I found out that saw has 11 different carbs, for CA use...:confused:

6 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

Impact driver, YES! That tool takes the work out of work. Everything you said I said YES to as I read your post. I've seen Lew try to work on our rigs without one and it's way too much work. That tool is amazing.

I gotta agree with you there, the old rattle wrench is a good thing to have. 

I have an old one, one of the original Chicago Pneumatic 1/2 inch drive,  it was made in Great Britain.  It was a bit rare when I got it, back in the early '80s. I have never seen another one like it. I have had to rebuild it twice,  it got used a lot...

I also have the butterfly 3/8 drive CP, it is a very handy little unit.

6 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

I'd like to have a pneumatic chisel. I don't think our compressor is big enough to operate one so that would mean getting a new compressor, hmmm we'll see. We have about 1,000 SF of 20x20 tile to take up some day soon and it'd make the job that much easier. The tiles aren't set in very good so they won't be the problem but the thinset under them will need scraping. Whoever laid them did a poor job.

If you are going to Horror Freight soon, they have air chisels pretty cheap,  if it lasted thru your floor project it would be a good choice.

Also,  you might get one of their air tanks. Not a compressor but a stand alone tank, made for filling and taking with.  You could plumb it inline with your current compressor and increase your air storage capacity. .

Air chisels are air hungry little beasts so you may be playing catch up with the compressor all day. That is not always a bad thing. ..:uhhuh:(is there a smilie for numb and tingly hands and permanent hearing loss? )

5 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

Lew said he likes the old D8 Cat, there's nothing like the sound of it in a hard push, you can just hear that thing rumble. (I know it's a BIG tool but a tool non-the-less) 

My work career was about 50/50 Ironworker and Operating Engineers Heavy Equipment mechanic and weldor. The D8 Cat is an old standard.  We will probably still be using them for many years,  at least until the parts supply runs out.

I knew an old guy who could use his for doing finish grade on home plots. That is not something that is easily done.  He could finish within a tenth, with a tractor that big getting slabs that close to grade is superstar status.

I used to have to start them up in the morning,  the straight stack models really sound nice and many times,  if you got the R.P.M. set just right,  it would sit there warming up and be blowing smoke rings 30 foot high..kinda neat...

20 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I used to use a 48 inch pipe wrench. Aluminum of course...:D

Did it only work on 48 inch pipes?

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

11 minutes ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

Did it only work on 48 inch pipes?

No, it was adjustable :lol:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

36 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

No, it was adjustable :lol:

A work colleague had a huge crow bar. He said it was handy for taking the back off his watch.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

8 minutes ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

A work colleague had a huge crow bar. He said it was handy for taking the back off his watch.

Excavator is more efficient it can scoop the cover and the battery in one go! LOL :lol1:

The only problem is when the watch back cover is too firmly attached..  the excavator can burn out and catch fire!

Excavator-simulator-on-fire.jpg

Back in the early 80's I'd go up to work with Lew, he let me run an FMC and skidder. Skidder was more fun, FMC was hard to remember how to work it, I guess I couldn't figure out how to turn opposite.
 I don't know much about them, just enough to say I got to run them:uhhuh:

I have helped Lew work on his Danglehead, it's interesting to see how it all works. Got to help fix his grab arms, drive wheels and fix a hose, BIG hose.

OK, so I should not go to Horror Freight for a pump and tank? Where should I go? We love Tractor Supply, well Lew does and he said I will when I get to go in February. Maybe we can look there. This whole well thing is new for me, wanted to do it last year but had fence to put up first and that entailed renting a machine to sink the posts and then pull stumps and level out the back. Poof, there goes the yard fund.

Oh I have a crow bar too, a little one. My tonneau sticks when it gets hot or frozen so I have to get out my catspaw and rag and pop the thing loose  to open the tailgate.  Do I hear the work "hick" at this juncture?

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

What type of pump do you need? is it one that is above ground (jet pump) or a submersible?

A jet pump can readily be bought at places like Tractor Supply, Ace Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. You just need to make sure you get one the right size.

If you need a submersible pump, even though you can get one at the same places named above, you might try an irrigation supply - they might have ones that deliver more GPM with better lift than the "homeowner" versions they sell at the DIY's.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Above ground I believe. With a tank. I'm looking forward to going to Tractor Supply, Lew says he's just going to go for coffee when he drops me off. Says I'll spend 3 hours looking around. Will look for pump there.

I understand about an irrigation supply place. Or a landscaping place. Have to determine my output for that. Doing this will be good for resale of the property.

Speaking of bars--

O.T.C.  bars are among the best ..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Otc-Tools-And-Equipment-30In-Jimmy-Bar-Otc7168-New-/191901847046?hash=item2cae3dce06%3Ag%3AVaEAAOSw3YNXZ~IL

I used one of these for years, hard, barely took the shine off it...

I lost it when my truck was stolen or I would have it still...

4 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

OK, so I should not go to Horror Freight for a pump and tank? Where should I go? We love Tractor Supply, well Lew does and he said I will when I get to go in February. Maybe we can look there. 

Here is a recommended pump supply in Miami that has submersible well pumps and Jacuzzi style pressure booster pumps, along with miscellaneous one-way brass valves, contactors, control boxes, pump-savers etc. with good prices on E-Bay. https://waterpumpspro.com/   Talk to Scott or Luis , They are highly knowledgeable. They go by the name  D Pump Doctor on E-Bay. 

We purchased a Goulds Jacuzzi style this past summer from them and they saved us $650.dollars. Our original Goulds pump lasted 15 years.

Also tractor supply has the large Black 1000 or 2500 gallon water storage tanks available locally, but they are quite expensive. You might do much better with a wholesale local pump supply for the storage and pressure tanks in Portland or Vancouver.

8 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

Speaking of bars--

O.T.C.  bars are among the best ..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Otc-Tools-And-Equipment-30In-Jimmy-Bar-Otc7168-New-/191901847046?hash=item2cae3dce06%3Ag%3AVaEAAOSw3YNXZ~IL

I used one of these for years, hard, barely took the shine off it...

I lost it when my truck was stolen or I would have it still...

I did a little pipe fighter work at Chevron and we called those pin bars. They were used to line up pipe flanges and occasionally break up a bar fight...:(

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

42 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I did a little pipe fighter work at Chevron and we called those pin bars. They were used to line up pipe flanges and occasionally break up a bar fight...:(

Yeah...that will put a dent in your hardhat !  I never hung out with the boilermakers and pipe fitters after work...such a rowdy bunch. :boxing: We mostly used the black oxide Proto open and box end spud wrenches for lining up flanges in the refineries. And jimmy bars for separating those stubborn flanges.

My favorite power tools has to be the Sears Craftsman Radial Arm Saw and the Router. I have made a dining room set out of Nicaraguan Walnut, a oak bedroom  wall unit that goes at the head of the bed having floor to ceiling cloths cabinet on each side and mirror across head of bed. I also remodeled older cabinets through out the house with oak trim.  My latest project was to cut out of 2' x 12' rough cut redwood all the pieces, small and large, to make an eight sided gazebo. 

Radial Arm saw.jpg

Router.jpg

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25