JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

End of Radio Programs WBBR 1957/What About Television

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2641 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Does anyone in here (I've tried JW Library and no information could I find why the Society did not go with Television back in 1957 or before?   Was it cost or Jehovah just didn't want the F&DS to go for TV.    This is referring to our God's Rule Book on this past weeks study on all the tools Jehovah had the slave have and they worked with to spread the goodnews from Photo Drama of Creation, to Radio and then 2013 Broadcasting (which Internet is Free).    Does anyone in here know from your older bound volumes not found on Jw Library?  I do not have my Index books or bound volumes anymore to research this.    

2 hours ago, JWpublisher said:

What was exactly this movie "Heritage"??

It was a black & white movie (16 mm I think) produced by the Society.  It was a glimpse into the lives of the youth inside and outside the Truth.  It showed the parents training their kids and how they resisted influences of school and community.  It showed them taking the message to their peers.  It was also shown at circuit assemblies.  It came on two 16 mm reels of film.  One of the brothers video taped a copy from the TV.  I have a copy and I watch it every couple of years.  As I recall, it was about 45 minutes in length.  It was made several years after the movie "New World Society in Action".

Here are the references:

*** yb75 p. 232 Part 3—United States of America ***

The motion picture “Heritage,” also produced by the Watch Tower Society in 1966, dealt with the various temptations faced by young persons today. However, Angelo C. Manera, Jr., remarks that it showed “what the youth of the New World society were doing and how they were overcoming these temptations and following a Christian course of action.” Unique in that it had a sound track, unlike other recent movies produced by the Society, it was shown by many television stations. So, thousands viewed it in their homes. “Heritage” also was presented at circuit assemblies and other public gatherings.

*** jv chap. 22 pp. 480-481 Part 4—Witnesses to the Most Distant Part of the Earth ***

Educating by Means of Motion Pictures and Slide Showings

After the motion picture The New World Society in Action, other films followed: The Happiness of the New World Society, Proclaiming “Everlasting Good News” Around the World, God Cannot Lie, and Heritage.

That's cool, so why didn't the Society stick with Television?   It's not mentioned in our God's Kingdom Rule book as one of the many tools or technology that the friends used to spread the good news.   This is what am trying to find out.   Was it cost? 

In Connecticut, a number of Jehovah's witnesses had a regularly broadcast program that featured answering Bible questions on the public television stations.  This was in the late 1970s to the 1980s.   The churches were so inflamed over that program that they used their influence to ban the brothers from using the stations.