JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Confusion Reigns Supreme

Okay.:wacko:

I've been downhearted ever since I heard the 2016 WTL is not compatible

with either my Dell desktop's XP operating system,58a9f622890fd_cry6.GIF.f238ffa8967548ff95f0f98a4c8b1521.GIF

or my new Mac Mini. 58a9f632e0a8a_Cryweeping.gif.919a694517430d423ec2e4e468d57900.gif 

When my copy of the CD-ROM came in a few weeks back,

I asked the brother at the Literature counter to please give it to someone

with the correct operating criteria.

Today, he tells me that the new 2016 WTL CD-ROM works perfectly fine on Windows XP,

and he handed my copy of the disc back to me.

I got home and inserted the disc.  It downloaded and installed PERFECTLY.58a9f6a3c2537_HappyExcitedWoohoo.gif.bfacb0c25c3a32ca43d0be4957aaa93b.gif

I used it.  It works PERFECTLY.58a9f6be4ea8d_HappyWoohoo.GIF.ee715f5d851304add37189282b1f4bc9.GIF

So...is the feature that is not compatible with Windows XP the automatic updates part?:confused:

I am sooooooooooooo confused.Confused.gif.af76021d60ce06d603c90909ad92e355.gif

But also DELIRIOUSLY HAPPY!!58a9f6b203638_happyexcited2.gif.837219612a4ad7ac63b98d781c42ac2d.gif

Cuz I count on my WTL for research...a LOT.58a9fbf8d6ffb_GlassesResearch.gif.c1146c82c24bd23759525abd1e6cb8fc.gif

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Who said it wouldn't work with XP? I know Sharli said it didn't work on hers and XP is not in the  list of system "requirements", but it is always good to try it first before deciding that it won't work. There are many factors that will either allow or disallow a program to work on a particular version of the Windows OS. Sometimes you just need to try. :)

Edited by Musky

Typo

On 1/4/2017 at 2:10 PM, futurepromise said:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question:  What are the requirements for a computer 
to install and run Watchtower Library?
Answer:  The Watchtower Library system requirements are as follows: 
�	Pentium-compatible processor or higher
�	Microsoft Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 (not Windows RT), Windows 10
�	48 MB RAM required for the application
�	1.5 GB free disk space on C drive
�	DVD-ROM drive
�	Mouse
�	Sound card, speakers, or headphones (optional, for the pronunciation feature if available)

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I'm glad you all got the 2016 wtlib DVD Rom. I'm still waiting for mine. Hopefully, it'll come in some weeks from now. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

There is much confusion between the two libraries. JW Library will not run on a Windows XP PC. Watchtower Library will run on about any Windows PC. JWLibrary will work in Windows 10, but not XP.

I have seen qiuite a few posts that were confused between the two. :wacko:

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

2 minutes ago, Old said:

There is much confusion between the two libraries. JW Library will not run on a Windows XP PC. Watchtower Library will run on about any Windows PC. JWLibrary will work in Windows 10, but not XP.

I have seen qiuite a few posts that were confused between the two. :wacko:

Yes, but I don't believe that was Ross's issue.

35 minutes ago, Musky said:

Yes, but I don't believe that was Ross's issue.

You are correct. yes.gif.437c01970d889f5e45887249d65bb4c8.gif 

JW Library is for phones and tablets.  

And WTL is for laptops and desktops.

I know that an android app won't run on my old Dell desktop.  

(The operating system is too old and won't allow me to

download the android app adapter.58aa1e42dc699_ANGRYGAHHHHH.gif.b6ee5177d56cba13fec5c6cf3a599126.gif)

And I know the new WTL 2016 won't operate on my Droid Maxx or my tablet.

I am just soooooooooooooo relieved that it works with XP.58aa1dc7a02a6_happywhistling.gif.dc82b70eb7499d25b422c3a718cfb4cb.gif

I love all the color photos!!!!!58aa1e0f64a9e_WOWbigeyes.gif.82d8b9172d84c4b42ea098f4eb0bf4af.gif58aa1df438802_HappyBigSmile.gif.5e6e9d9d0c90bff34bd2500e63236f07.gif

The announcement at our hall said that 2016 WT Library would not work on XP, and an older couple went out and bought a new computer, probably due to that. *facepaw* I mean, it'll probably run, but I'd guess it's just not supported. I'm going to help them set it up this week, but it makes me feel bad if they felt they had to upgrade to use it... granted, if you're still running XP, by now it's dreadfully slow or completely vulnerable to security threats. >_>

6 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

(The operating system is too old and won't allow me to

download the android app adapter.58aa1e42dc699_ANGRYGAHHHHH.gif.b6ee5177d56cba13fec5c6cf3a599126.gif)

Do you mean an android emulator? If your older PC is capable of running Bluestacks or an equivalent emulator, you can run Android apps on PC. Pretty much any Windows OS that is older than 7 should be converted to an Android or Linux variant OS for the sake of security and speed. ^^; My personal preference is running Remix OS or similar inside of a Virtual Machine, but that's a bit more technical..

Edited by Myew

3 hours ago, Myew said:

Do you mean an android emulator? 

What?  You mean there is such a thing?  And I can run JW Library on it?  I am loathe to give up my Windows 7  but had no idea this was possible. Off to Google. :ecstatic:

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

3 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

What?  You mean there is such a thing?  And I can run JW Library on it?  I am loathe to give up my Windows 7  but had no idea this was possible. Off to Google. :ecstatic:

I like AMI Duos.  It is fairly inexpensive and American Megatrends Inc is an old and reliable company.

I hadn't seen AMI Duos before, it looks really solid and would be a great no-fuss solution to Android on PC. My current PC and several before it still use their BIOS.
I like Remix OS because it's free (based on open source Android-x86), and adds desktop functionality like right clicking and multiple windows. I'm a poor techie so I don't mind setting up new OS' as much. :assimulated:

I've had issues with several Windows 10 apps including JW Library, so I mainly stick with WT Online Library on PC, and WT Library for older archived articles.
I love JW Library on my tablet however, it has a 128 MicroSD card and an HDMI out so I can download every single video and plug it into any TV.  (tu) Sorry, I get very :offtopic:

18 minutes ago, Tbs77 said:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/jw-library/9wzdncrfj3b4

JW Library app for Windows. Is there an issue with this app?

Not a problem with the app.  The problem is with those of us still enjoying the dark ages and refusing to 'upgrade' to Windows 10. :lol:

Edited by GeordieGirl

8 hours ago, Myew said:

I love JW Library on my tablet however, it has a 128 MicroSD card and an HDMI out so I can download every single video and plug it into any TV.  (tu) Sorry, I get very :offtopic:

I also have 128 MicroSD and download everything to my tablet but use Chromecast to watch on my TV.  However, I like to study from my laptop so having JW  Library as well as WT Library all in one place would make things simpler for me.  

I just need a free emulator and have no idea of the best one to go with.

8 minutes ago, Tbs77 said:

Gotcha! MS-Dos loving folks! emoji6.png

:lol: :lol: :lol: Not quite that dark, though I remember those days.  I was horrified when Windows came out.  I actually enjoyed DOS.  :uhhuh:

9 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Not quite that dark, though I remember those days.  I was horrified when Windows came out.  I actually enjoyed DOS.  :uhhuh:

I began my digital life with Morse Code back in the late 1950's and it is still a beautiful, simple binary (or trinary) code used today.  By 1980 I began a 20 year affection for command line computer processing.  I used DOS right to the end of 1990's.  I still get out my older computer and run through some DOS exercises (the keyboard was king).  No one in the commercial market ever asks me what I want in computer systems, they just tell me what I can use.  Sigh.

I'm kind of jealous, I'm too dumb for anything without a GUI! Text interfaces were before my time. I'm just an enthusiast who likes to physically tinker with hardware or modify practical use of the device, rarely stepping into an Android Debug Bridge command line to unlock/root/backup various devices. Back to the topic at hand.. 

21 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

I just need a free emulator and have no idea of the best one to go with.

That somewhat depends on your system. I'd still have to recommend Remix OS (Player) since it runs a more recent Android than other free emulators and is designed for keyboard & mouse. http://www.jide.com/remixos-player
However, it requires Win 7 64 Bit & an Intel CPU. :< Not sure what you're running. Otherwise, you'd have to make a virtual machine to use it. :sweat: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=66047894&postcount=114

36 minutes ago, Myew said:

That somewhat depends on your system. I'd still have to recommend Remix OS (Player) since it runs a more recent Android than other free emulators and is designed for keyboard & mouse. http://www.jide.com/remixos-player
However, it requires Win 7 64 Bit & an Intel CPU. :< Not sure what you're running. Otherwise, you'd have to make a virtual machine to use it. :sweat: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=66047894&postcount=114

Virtual Machine?? That is a foreign language to me :lol:  However, I do know this much - Win 7; 64 bit; Intel; core i5.  Question.- Does this run side by side with Win 7 or does it change the interface  (I think that's the right word LOL) so it looks like Android.  I really don't want to lose Win 7 but from what I've been reading it makes me think it's going to change everything - though I'm probably wrong.  :upsidedown: