JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Music thread!

• 4 weeks later...

hi Lynn. i heard rumors about Prince being a Jehovah;s witness i

do like his music,

it was nice to hear him Praise Jehovah. so it must be true then. :dance:

Gabe

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

i LOVE Joe Santarini and the guitar work,

and my hubby and i are we like the direstrates and I love the shadows thanks for nice video;s

where about's in Perth did you visit, gabe :thumbsup:

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Heh Joy, my daughter shocked her guitar teacher by naming Joe S. as one of her favorite guitarists. Most 18 year olds nowadays don't know the 'legends' in guitar. I played the guitar myself, but I favored the stylings of Paco De Lucia, Al De Meola, and John McLaughlin (listed as the three guitars in youtube) but I did share with her every guitarist that made my mouth drop open with the way their fingers flew over the strings and Joe S, was definitely on that list.

I played both acoustic and classical guitar......but nothing ever like this:

My daughter plays way better than I ever did, and writes her own music, I have quite a few clips of her singing/playing on my phone, just have to figure out how to get them off when I have a spare moment.

The cd Friday Night In San Francisco by Paco De Lucia, Al De Meola, and John McLaughlin is absolutely superb!

I'm such a loser, I don't actually purchase music these days, I listen to it via youtube. However, there are artists that make me want to buy their stuff (i.e., the civil wars, the white stripes, and cold play) - so I'll give it a preview (I probably have already, but don't know it by the CD title) thanks!

What talented guitar players those 3 are and awesome together!

My husband has had an 'on off' Bible Study with this bloke Mike Simpson for a few years. One day we hope he will decide that the Truth is the only answer to all his health issues. From childhood he taught himself guitar and when well enough, he works from home teaching it. He's got many Youtube clips/Youtubechannel of himself playing at home. Then he went to see Tommy Emmanuel and there was a 'meet and greet' session and Mike was there and had brought his guitar and asked if he could play with him and his dream/wish was granted. Here they are playing together on that occasion - totally unrehearsed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxXsXL4-sM4&list=UU5s6upYwwk9e3GN8NMKAhtA&feature=plcp

My husband has had an 'on off' Bible Study with this bloke Mike Simpson for a few years. One day we hope he will decide that the Truth is the only answer to all his health issues.

Hi Helen

This Mike Simpson has some great talent with his guitar.I hope he comes around and serves Jehovah one day..He could spend eternity in the

new world playing and creating music if he would just take the first step.

I hope for the best.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

German singer Nena 's hit from the 1980's. A song with a message - when people were mostly concerned with the threat of nuclear war and hoped that governments were not as 'trigger happy' as made out in this song - though many worried they might have been during the 1960's Cuba crisis!

English: 99 Red balloons/ German: 99 Luftballons ( I bought the 45 r.p.m single at Boots Department Store, Barrow, to find the German version on the B side).

• 2 months later...

Another favourite song with a message from Nik Kershaw. It was hard to find a good video of this as there were lots of amateur footage taken at concerts that were jerky and poor. The song is played by himself, (an underrated guitarist and composer for many other bands and singers) and his band comprised of the drummer, Mark Price, who later joined All About Eve then Del Amitri and the Percussionist, Gary Wallis has also performed with Pink Floyd, Mike & the Mechanics, Power Station, Spinal Tap, Jean Michel Jarre, Style Council, 10 cc and Westlife.

'Roses' was significant song in our town in the 1980's when the government was keen to start Nuclear reprocessing with Thorp project and were trying to convince us that it was all safe. Umpteen leaks and tons of stored plutonium later they are decomissioning that and persuading us to take on Prism fast breeder reactors and underground storage facilities of the Nuclear waste, so the song is ever more relavent again!: