JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Blood from universal donor stem cells

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2436 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

4 hours ago, rbrown1205 said:

https://www.theworldnewsmedia.org/topic/37158-is-this-the-end-of-blood-donation-scientists-close-to-unlimited-supply-from-stem-cells/

This article touts the idea as the solution for shortages of blood for transfusions. But it still accepting blood from another person, right?

I don't want to go into the deeper aspects of stem cells and stem cell research, but if they still call the final product 'blood' I want nothing to do with it.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Stem cells are cells that, with the proper coding, can take any form or function. They can become liver cells, eye cells, bone cells, skin, whatever.

If I am understanding the article correctly (of which I am not sure at all) it seems they have been able to stimulate stem cells so that they become blood-producing cells, the same kind of cells we have in our spine marrow.

Now this is the part I am not clear about: if the idea is inserting those cells inside the patients marrow so that he produces more blood, I don't see anything wrong with that.

But if they plan to use those cells to produce big amounts of blood and then use that blood in transfusions, I don't think a Christian can accept those.

If I understood the article correctly, these stem cells come from the skin. They can come from the actual patient or from a universal donor

Seems to me ...... well, never mind

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

54 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Seems to me ...... well, never mind

Yea, me too --

except for this..I'm just exploring different avenues of thought,  kinda thinking out loud, not advocating this procedure. .

If a patient donated 'stem cells' that were turned into blood, that is still his cells that have left his body and the 'constant connection' has been broken,  a Christian could not accept that. ..  Basically repeating what Carlos just said..I think.

If those stem cells were modified to stimulate blood production and were then injected into the marrow, I think that would be ok, it's not really blood. It would the same as those shots that you get before a surgery, that builds up your blood.  Again,  I think I am just repeating what Carlos said, the only thing that I would have a problem with;  that would probably hurt. I know my last 2 bone marrow biopsies did:perplexed:.

14 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

Yea, me too --

except for this..I'm just exploring different avenues of thought,  kinda thinking out loud, not advocating this procedure. .

If a patient donated 'stem cells' that were turned into blood, that is still his cells that have left his body and the 'constant connection' has been broken,  a Christian could not accept that. ..  Basically repeating what Carlos just said..I think.

:perplexed:.

A constant connection to a second party? That would more match a transplant, we can accept transplants, but not a transplant of blood.

A constant connection is not required for bloodless surgery proceedings. It can be requested by the patient as a choice of conscience.

Transplanting of blood producing cells, not the blood itself,  might be acceptable since it is very similar to bone marrow transplants which are a matter of conscience.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

25 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

If those stem cells were modified to stimulate blood production and were then injected into the marrow, I think that would be ok, it's not really blood. It would the same as those shots that you get before a surgery, that builds up your blood.  Again,  I think I am just repeating what Carlos said, the only thing that I would have a problem with;  that would probably hurt. I know my last 2 bone marrow biopsies did:perplexed:.

A transplant of cells that would produce blood would likely be acceptable just as bone marrow transplants are a matter for the conscience.

There is no requirement to have a constant connection during bloodless surgery. It can be provided if the patient makes that request.

31 minutes ago, Old said:

A constant connection to a second party? That would more match a transplant, we can accept transplants, but not a transplant of blood.

A constant connection is not required for bloodless surgery proceedings. It can be requested by the patient as a choice of conscience.

Transplanting of blood producing cells, not the blood itself,  might be acceptable since it is very similar to bone marrow transplants which are a matter of conscience.

No. I wasn't clear enough and you misunderstood. 

I was meaning that if I donate stem cells,  they are made into blood, the constant connection to me has been broken and I couldn't receive those cells, that are now blood, back into my body. 

Stem cells are produced in the bone marrow. When needed they are pushed into the blood stream and go to where they are needed and become what is needed. If you are low in red cells they will become that etc. They are before blood. Not blood. So not even a fraction.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Fiona said:

Stem cells are produced in the bone marrow. When needed they are pushed into the blood stream and go to where they are needed and become what is needed. If you are low in red cells they will become that etc. They are before blood. Not blood. So not even a fraction.

I believe the stem cell become cells that produce red blood cells which are then launched into the circulatory system. The stem cells themselves do not get into the circulatory system. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong. (I was wrong one time before but that a long time .....:D )

Hmmm. When my son had stem cell transplant he had to have injections of a drug that pushes all the extra stem cells out of the bone marrow into the blood stream. But I don't think I asked of it was to speed up the process or if it was unnatural. So I would have to research it again.

But they can become any blood cell not just red. I used to have a chart about what cells become what really interesting. I'll see if I can find it

2 hours ago, Fiona said:

Hmmm. When my son had stem cell transplant he had to have injections of a drug that pushes all the extra stem cells out of the bone marrow into the blood stream. But I don't think I asked of it was to speed up the process or if it was unnatural. So I would have to research it again.

But they can become any blood cell not just red. I used to have a chart about what cells become what really interesting. I'll see if I can find it

Interesting, I am no authority, so this is new to me, thank you.

4 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Is it blood? Real blood? Synthetic blood? 

I think this is the core question. When Jehovah gave the command to abstain from blood, he meant the life-blood of a creature or person, that left the body and was to be poured to the ground.

This one is a real stumper. In the end, if it were to be a conscience issue, I would still consider it "blood" if it actually had all the structure and genetic makeup of ordinary blood.

I don't understand what is so hard about creating something like an organic, plant-based compound that can temporarily carry out the function of oxygen transport and universally be used to counter hypovolemia and a low RBC.

4 hours ago, ChocoBro said:

I think this is the core question. When Jehovah gave the command to abstain from blood, he meant the life-blood of a creature or person, that left the body and was to be poured to the ground.

This one is a real stumper. In the end, if it were to be a conscience issue, I would still consider it "blood" if it actually had all the structure and genetic makeup of ordinary blood.

I don't understand what is so hard about creating something like an organic, plant-based compound that can temporarily carry out the function of oxygen transport and universally be used to counter hypovolemia and a low RBC.

If one assumes the lives continues at the cellular level, since they're using living cell in a large scale "petri dishes" production, it could be difficult to accept such, regardless of the fact that it is of non-blood origin (compare organ transplant).

However, another might consider it acceptable if the fact that what was being used is of non-blood origin weigh heavily on ones mind. Comparing organ transplant, Introducing that after being manipulated (turned into blood) could be of less concern to some on account of conscience, making it acceptable.

On what's so hard about creating an oxygen-transporter that totally plant/organic based: many of what science and medicine is doing is not creating. I'll call it bio-feeding raw materials into biomechanical processes Jehovah made (bio-synthesis)! It's like cheating on exam but we humans still celebrate them anyway.

Edited by Kunlesky

Clarity

I think the questions to be answered are: Is it a blood replacement? or is it blood?

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)