JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

18 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

They are gathering all the updates to present on the AM, including notes ;) 

...and cloud syncing?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

So, only 2 and 1/2 months to wait until Oct 1.

My publications portion stopped working a few weeks ago. It just spins now. I know I can remove the app and reinstall, but then I have to DL all the publications again. I'll just keep waiting for the update.

At least the meeting portion works. 

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

1 hour ago, trottigy said:

My publications portion stopped working a few weeks ago. It just spins now. I know I can remove the app and reinstall, but then I have to DL all the publications again. I'll just keep waiting for the  

My app did that a couple of weeks ago, the 'What's New' kept spinning, I finally waited it out and about 30 minutes later it was back to normal.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, trottigy said:

So, only 2 and 1/2 months to wait until Oct 1.. 

How long...?

I have an Android tablet and the publications tab in JWL is VERY problematic!  I mostly have problems with audio "updates" and with the refreshing new updates = keeps spinning and spinning and spinning.  With the audio updates, I click to update and it shows it's updating and then the "cloud" appears and so I click to download it and finally I get the "more" button.  Takes twice to three times as long as it should.   Hoping for notation soon.  But  can't imagine the problems that might follow with that! Not sure if it's an Android problem (which I think it probably is) or a JWL problem.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

As a general observation, I find the older the Android version is the more problems I see.  JW Library works very poorly in Version 3.2, poorly in 4.0 (ICS), not much better in 4.2 (JB), better in 4.4 (KitKat) much better in 5.1 (Lollipop) and very well in 6.0 (Marshmallow).  I have used all of these (except 3.2 which was used by an elder in my service group).  Also, the more memory (RAM & ROM) available the better the performance.  There is nothing new in these statements, but it is worth checking now and then to see how the equipment and software are aging.  My current Android is 6.0 with 32 MB ROM, 3 MB RAM and and a 64 MB SD-Card.  It is working quite well.  MY Ipad Air 2 however, needed a complete wipeout and new download.

I have 2 android tablets. Both are 4.2.2. I use them very little because I also have an iPad mini which I use for all meetings, video showings ect. I know the iPad costs more but it works a lot better than any of my android tablets do. What helped with the cost of the iPad was buying it through QVC because they split the cost up over 5-6 months.

Edited by mserskine

4 hours ago, mserskine said:

I have 2 android tablets. Both are 4.2.2. I use them very little because I also have an iPad mini which I use for all meetings, video showings ect. I know the iPad costs more but it works a lot better than any of my android tablets do. What helped with the cost of the iPad was buying it through QVC because they split the cost up over 5-6 months.

I agree Br. Michael.  My Ipad Air 2 is much faster and the updates on JW Library seem to come quicker to the Apple devices.  They also appear to have a few more options when highlighting, etc.  The cost is very high compared to an Android device of similar size.  I use the Apple in the meetings as well.  I keep my Android unit updated for backup and since it is smaller, to carry around in my pocket for informal witnessing.  I like my Windows tablet for the CD/DVD Rom library.

To be fair and compare "apples to apples" :)......... To say "I have 2 android tablets" that are not as good as my Apple Ipad" is like saying "I have two cars at home that are not as fast as my Porsche, a Chevy Spark and a Ford Fiesta.  You can buy android tablets for $49 and I can guarantee you that they are not as good as a iPad.  On the other hand I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition that is faster, has more ram, more internal memory AND a 128 gig SD card with every JW magazine, book, and video loaded on it.  My Daughters have  Apple products (iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini's)  and I won't get into  whose is better but I'll just say MY Android keeps up just fine with their Apples.

Baseball is in the Bible... Gen 1:1 "In the big inning".

RE: This update also solves the issue that older tablets were having when they tried to access "publications". I have heard from four friends who were having issues like Lynn was and they all say problem solved.

Not sure what the problem was, but I also had a problem using the PUBLICATIONS menu. I think it had something to do with the large size of the files, it was around 50 gigabytes I think. It would work fine, then I would download the latest jwb or whatever, then the publications would no longer load, it would keep trying forever. Removing the files did not help. Once this happened, jw library corrupted itself. I would have to move the files, Uninstaller the app, then slowly, like 2 to 3 gigs at a time, copy the files back. If I tried copying all at once, It would corrupt itself again. This was on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S with both 5 and 6 android versions. I now have the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and waiting for September JWB to come out to see if it happens on this one. BTW, It did it with the August JWB, so that was after the new JW Library update, so not sure about that. Have to wait and see.

Sent from my SM-T817W using Tapatalk

This update also solves the issue that older tablets were having when they tried to access "publications". I have heard from four friends who were having issues like Lynn was and they all say problem solved.

I 'm still waiting for the first update for my windows desktop

I had a problem with the PUBLICATIONS menu using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S with both android version 5 and 6. This is not an old tablet either.

The problem seems to be that JW Library would corrupt itself when the accumulated size of all the downloaded publications reached a size larger then 50 gigabytes.

Once It reached this size, when I Downloader the new JWB for the month of July say, then loaded the publications menu up, it would never appear, it would just keep trying to load. I would have to move the files, Uninstaller the app, then copy the files over a few gigs at a time, opening the publications tab each time. If I tried copying them all over at once, the JW LIBRARY would corrupt again and I'd have to start again. This happened also with the August JWB, with the latest update to JW LIBRARY. I now have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and will have to wait for the September JW Library to find out if the problem is still there.

Here is gorgeous hoping it won't do it again as it has for the past 6 months or so as it is a very long process.

Anyone else have this type of problem?

Sent from my SM-T817W using Tapatalk

On August 21, 2016 at 7:00 PM, trottigy said:

So, only 2 and 1/2 months to wait until Oct 1.

My publications portion stopped working a few weeks ago. It just spins now. I know I can remove the app and reinstall, but then I have to DL all the publications again. I'll just keep waiting for the update.

At least the meeting portion works. 

Well, I couldn't wait the 2 more months. I removed the app and reinstalled it. It works fine now. 

Note: I did try the wait and let the circle spin in the hopes that it would find all the publications - or whatever it was doing - but after letting it do that for 10 hours straight (plugged in over night) and still seeing it spin - I knew only a remove and reinstall would do the trick. And it has.

so, now that I am re-downloading the publications I noticed something. Some magazines are missing. Do you guys have all the 2002 Awake!s? For example: Feb, March, May, Aug, Sept 8?

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Many of our publications have outdated information, that doesn't keep them from being posted in JW Library.  I would say it must be some other issue.  Jehovah's organization continually updates it's thinking as Jehovah makes the light brighter so it can't be always going back into old issues and publications to update everything.  (That is why the Revelation Book is going to need a complete re-write if we ever study it again!)

I was browsing through the God's Kingdom Rules Book for updates on the Revelation events timelines (previous comment intrigued me,) and happened to notice that page 188 mentions Theocratic Ministry School. On JW.org it says "Our Christian LIfe and Ministry." I still want to use the hard copy (unless I lose it at some point.)  

The God's Kingdom Rule Book has already had several updates electronically since it's release in paperback.  The terms districtt overseer, zone overseer were used in this book as well as the name of the old school.  We've had  a ton or oganizational changes since 2014 - so it would be a good practice to always compare your study lesson with the paper copy when you study to note any changes - this would especially be important for brothers who do the reading.  

I need some help. I use an android tablet at the meetings with no problems. My wife is more comfortable with her iPad 4, but there is a problem.

There doesn't seem to be anyway to mute the iPad.  Today it started playing Kingdom music during the public talk. Three times! My wife was trying to find something when it happened the first time. The second two times the iPad was on the floor with no one touching it.

On my android, I can go to Settings/Sounds/Volume and can set Ringtone, Media, Notifications and System to silent. No sound will come out of the machine until I reset it. There doesn't seem to be an equivalent in iOS 9.5.3. I can set it to "mute" but Siri and music still play. 

How can I get this thing to SHUT UP! This is simply not acceptable.

Just now, cmcewen said:

I've heard that a shoe heel planted briskly but firmly in the middle of the pad would work,  i haven't tried it yet..

31 minutes ago, cmcewen said:

I need some help. I use an android tablet at the meetings with no problems. My wife is more comfortable with her iPad 4, but there is a problem.

There doesn't seem to be anyway to mute the iPad.  Today it started playing Kingdom music during the public talk. Three times! My wife was trying to find something when it happened the first time. The second two times the iPad was on the floor with no one touching it.

On my android, I can go to Settings/Sounds/Volume and can set Ringtone, Media, Notifications and System to silent. No sound will come out of the machine until I reset it. There doesn't seem to be an equivalent in iOS 9.5.3. I can set it to "mute" but Siri and music still play. 

Image result for ipad volume buttomJust keep tapping  the control button on the side of the iPad as illustrative, so simple :).  Image result for ipad volume buttom

I am not sure which Ipad you have or which software version you are running.  On my Ipad Air 1, there is a "mute" button on the top edge (slide button).  On my Ipad Air 2 there is no button.  I am running Ios 9.3.6 and in "settings" there are three options.  The regular "Airplane Mode" setting, the "Do Not Disturb" setting and the "Sounds" setting.  In the Do-Not-Disturb setting, choose "Manual" and check the box for "always".  In the Sounds setting move the sound slide all the way t the left and turn on the "change with Buttons" option (you can use the volume keys).  The Airplane mode is either ON-or Off.  These settings have prevented any sounds from my tablets.