JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

A Bullied Whopper

Burger King is taking a stand against bullying in a clever new ad that reveals what matters most to people: a bullied high school junior student or a bullied Whopper Jr. 

If that sounds strange, just stick with me for a second. In the three-minute video, hidden cameras capture people's reactions to boys bullying a high school student. Everyone involved is an actor, but the customers don't know that. There are pained glances and raised eyebrows, but not too many bystanders willing to intervene. 

But when customers get their Whopper Jr., which has been "bullied" with a punch that smashes the sandwich into pieces, boy do they get angry. They curse, ask for the manager, and look bewildered.

The ad takes a heartwarming — and perhaps tear-inducing — turn when a few bystanders do help the victim out. Viewers are also directed to the nonprofit advocacy organization nobully.org at the end of the video.

Burger King may be in the business of making fast-food, but they've certainly got the market cornered on one of the best anti-bullying ads in recent memory. 

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Hard to imagine someone seeing a kid being bullied and doing nothing. Most people are selfish whimps. :tsk:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

6 minutes ago, Pjdriver said:

Hard to imagine someone seeing a kid being bullied and doing nothing. Most people are selfish whimps. :tsk:

That's because you have a properly trained Christian personality and it would bother you, seeing that. .

As you said, most people are selfish whimps, most likely because they are very accustomed to the violence and depravity of this old system, satans exhibition piece. ...It's not bad enough for them to get involved,  when it is, it's usually too little,  too late.  And then they get sued....

C'mon, God's Kingdom! ...

It’s extremely common that people just ignore it when they see someone else being abused, hurt, falling ill, or bullied. Many times they feel things would only get worse, or that it wouldn’t help if they spoke up. This goes for kids and vulnerable adults alike. So people turn a blind eye, pretending they’ve seen nothing. It’s easier.

Any day now...

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Pjdriver said:

Many years ago I read an article about Television Syndrome, the author said that modern society had become accustomed to seeing crime and violence on TV and it has lost it's reality. We were becoming a society of detached observers. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

25 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Someone once said that there is one thing worse than death - apathy.

Any day now...

Ignorance and Apathy. 

I don't know if that's true and I really don't care....

It's a joke Johan.....

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Many years ago I read an article about Television Syndrome, the author said that modern society had become accustomed to seeing crime and violence on TV and it has lost it's reality. We were becoming a society of detached observers. 

That's true. TV along with the violence in Movies today, even those movies called Shock movies,  has de-sensitized people , and with apathy causes them to not care enough to want to get involved..

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

2 hours ago, Dove said:

That's true. TV along with the violence in Movies today, even those movies called Shock movies,  has de-sensitized people , and with apathy causes them to not care enough to want to get involved..

As I remember it, the article wasn't dealing with the violence desensitizing people, it was more about becoming use to observing life without interacting with life. So people were use to seeing something happen in front of them and then ignore it.

2 hours ago, Dove said:

TV along with the violence in Movies toda

Kids these days don’t really watch tv or movies, though. Usually they watch YouTube videos or alike, preferably boring such about people opening boxes. The rest of us go, “soooooo.... this is fun?l

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

20 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

As I remember it, the article wasn't dealing with the violence desensitizing people, it was more about becoming use to observing life without interacting with life. So people were use to seeing something happen in front of them and then ignore it.

I wasn't referring to my words being in the article, sorry for the confusion. Just agreeing with the thought that people are desensitized today in so many ways by the violence that has become the norm all around them. Much of it due to the tv and movies that feature it thinking of it as 'entertainment'.

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

6 hours ago, Thesauron said:

It’s extremely common that people just ignore it when they see someone else being abused, hurt, falling ill, or bullied. Many times they feel things would only get worse, or that it wouldn’t help if they spoke up. This goes for kids and vulnerable adults alike. So people turn a blind eye, pretending they’ve seen nothing. It’s easier.

Any day now...

Proverbs 26:17

'Like someone grabbing hold of a dog's ears

Is the one passing by who becomes furious about a 

quarrel that is not his.'

Many have lost their lives trying to intervene thinking they were helping, but it would depend on the circumstance... a personal fight, someone being mugged, an adult beating a child, an elderly person being assaulted; it takes soundness of mind and discernment when to interact..a balance of love and good judgment..

Proverbs 26:17
'Like someone grabbing hold of a dog's ears
Is the one passing by who becomes furious about a 
quarrel that is not his.'

Many have lost their lives trying to intervene thinking they were helping, but it would depend on the circumstance... a personal fight, someone being mugged, an adult beating a child, an elderly person being assaulted; it takes soundness of mind and discernment when to interact..a balance of love and good judgment..

Of course, if two people are fighting, you might end up getting unnecessarily hurt if you go between them, but if only one person is fighting and the other one perhaps just trying to protect himself or herself, you’d do what you can, right? Especially perhaps if one side is significantly weaker, like a child.

Any day now...

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”