JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Let's start a pet thread!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awwww, Ruby is so cute! What an expressive face she has. How funny the family you got her from are Witnesses also. Well I guess you have some new friends now. Hey, Kate I just noticed you are from NY also. I'm in the Finger Lakes region, west of you. I know where Utica is because I was born in Herkimer. Congrats on your kitty baby. :heart:

Get more exercise....walk with Jehovah!

Thanks all!

Christina, I remember you mentioning you were from upstate NY. I think we go to the same assembly hall in Henrietta. :) Did you grow up in the truth and did you attend the Herkimer KH? They've since sold their hall and are meeting with us in Utica. We built another auditorium on our hall a few years ago and have 4 congregations and 2 groups meeting here. Herkimer has the Karen (Myanmar) group and the interest has been phenomenal. Lots of interested ones, very exciting!

And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.

The Talking Centipede

A single guy decided life would be more fun

if he had a pet.

So he went to the pet store

and told the owner

that he wanted to buy an unusual pet.

After some discussion,

he finally bought a talking centipede,

(100-legged bug),

which came in a little white box

to use for his house.

He took the box back home,

found a good spot for the box,

and decided he would start off

by taking his new pet to the

local Kingdom Hall with him.

So he asked the centipede

in the box,

"Would you like to go

to the Kingdom Hall with me

today?

We will have a good time."

But there was no answer

from his new pet.

This bothered him a bit,

but he waited a few minutes

and then asked again,

"How about going to the

Kingdom Hall with me

and learn about the Bible?"

But again,

there was no answer

from his new friend and pet.

So he waited a few minutes more,

thinking about the situation.

The guy decided to invite the

centipede one last time.

This time he put his face up

against the centipede's house

and shouted,

"Hey, in there!

Would you like to go the Kingdom

Hall with me and learn the truth

about God?".....

This time, a little voice

came out of the box,

"I heard you the first time!

I'm putting my shoes on!"

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

We have had quite a few pets.

When i was little, my mum had two dogs, Jerry and Scooby. Jerry was a whippet and Scooby was a lurcher cross. Jerry died when i was one years old, she had cancer of the spine i think.. and Scooby lived until i was about 5 or 6 i think - he was 19!! I remember falling off the sofa and landing on scooby - that wasn't just a one off 'accident' :clown: He had to be put down because he'd already lost one of his eyes a few years before and his legs had gone.. we didn't want him suffering. That was a pretty bad day. We scattered his ashes at a local forest/park we used to go to - we used to take him, he loved it :)

Then, we got the guinea pig girlys. I was 7 and my mum and dad told me and my sister that we could both have a guinea pig off a woman they both knew who bred them. We went down to her house, me in my black sparkly dress :D I got handed this really long haired guinea pig, she was absolutely BEAUTIFUL but when she decided to urinate on me, i knew i wouldn't be getting her... i wasn't very pleased!

Then the woman was telling us about some of her new arrivals and she handed me this tri-coloured guinea pig : she was mainly white but had an orange bottom, a black patch over one of her eyes, one black ear and one black nostril. The second i held her, i knew she was mine. I called her Jasmine after the Disney princess :blush: . My younger sister chose a Rex guinea pig - she was so fluffy and brown. She called her Cindy. We both took them home really happy :) Dad made this really big run for them out of some wood and wire mesh and it wasn't too long (a year or so) before mum bought my two other younger sisters a guinea pig each too. We then had Suzy who was a cream guinea pig with a rosette on the top of her head, and we got Coco who was a black and tan Abyssinian. we ended up getting proper cages because we moved house. Cindy was the first to pass, she had a growth behind her eye and having an operation to remove it could have killed her because of the strength of the anesthetic so mum and dad had her put down when we were at school. Jasmine then followed a number of years later not long after my snakes had passed (I'll go onto my snakes in a bit). Jasmine was covered in tumours and the only humane thing to do was to end her suffering. She died on my lap..she was clinging on, it took her a while to pass :cry: I buried her under a jasmine bush at the top of my garden. Coco was next - she passed a year this September gone, we had her put down because she'd just had a stroke - I'd found her in the cage on her side kicking the air making strange noises and knew then what would be coming, me and my sister (who don't usually get along) cradled each other crying our eyes out. it wasn't a nice time. Then finally Suzy, who ate everything and was so big it was crazy! (literally, she was the fattest, healthiest piggy I'd seen in my life) died in her sleep. She was losing her hair, her legs had gone too... it was only a matter of time. She'd only just passed when we'd looked down into her cage (we were watching the TV at the time) and we were all in bits but dad held it together and took us up the garden and dug a hole and my sister who'd wrapped her in something placed her in and dad buried her and said a prayer. We haven't had guinea pigs since, too many memories. They all lived to good ages though, Suzy was coming on for 11 or 12. And, they had a good time with our rabbits too.

Next, I'm going to talk about my snakes. I got a corn snake called shadow back in 2007. Shadow was a gorgeous anerythristic corn snake hatchling that dad had bought me after about a year of me pestering him constantly about one. We'd got everything perfect and he was amazing. But he died 5 days after i got him which really hurt me. I found him dead in his tank. Dad took me back down to the shop, we explained what had happened, the guy took a look at him and found nothing wrong and so we concluded he was just ill. We buried him in the garden. Then i got two more corn snakes, Cola and Pepsi. When i brought them home, I'd just put cola in the tank when i saw out of the corner of my eye Pepsi escaping across my desk - thankfully i got him in time. They did great until January (i got them December) when Cola started refusing to eat and acting strangely. It was the 29th when he died. only a few days later, was when i had Jasmine put down. Pepsi was fine, very active until he died mid Feb out of the blue. I was out of tears to cry! I was devastated and no one could fault me on how I'd kept them or how they were.

We had our rabbits around a similar time to when i had my snakes. We got Onyx and Storm from our local pet shop. We bought them thinking they were both girls - sisters, from the same litter. Then one morning, we came downstairs to find storm had ripped out her fur forming a nest and saw two little babies wiggling inside. Onyx was a boy! We called the babies Star (the boy) and Thunder (the girl). When they were big enough, we moved the girls in together and originally had the boys together but they started fighting so Onyx is now the house bunny (he makes a good little dog! haha) and the others are in the conservatory. Star was really lonely for some time so we bought him a female to keep him company (no need to worry about more babies, they are all 'done'). Daisy is the little female we got for him and they are inseparable.

So, thats our pets! I apologise for the length of this haha, i ramble a lot :blushing:

This is Sherman

62052=3381-Dog2 (488 x 816).jpg

Is that an armadillo???? That's your pet??? THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a beabull (Beagle/Bulldog mix, and yes they are making that an official breed). 2 cats that I keep outside. I am the only neighbor that don't have rats. LOL!!! I also have a guinea pig that I absolutely HATE!!! I got rid of 3 G.P's and the daddy died last week in my arms. He was so sick... I bawled for a while!!!

Dina - I enjoyed your stories about your pets. I wish I could handle all the sickness and death that we have to go through with pets but I just can't anymore. I admire those of you who can. Was glad to hear you had a liking for snakes. My avatar is a picture of me holding either a python or a boa (I held both that day and can't remember which 1 this is a picture of) at a wildlife park in Arizona, USA. What amazing creatures they are.

Micah - you're the first person I've heard talk about a pet they HATED! That's hysterical! He must be a stinker... I'd love to see a picture of your beabull - sounds adorable!

The Bee

I have three beautiful chihuahuas all long haired. The mom is Izzybelly, the babies are bulldozer and bubba. One has twice daily insulin shot which hurts me more than her. These sweeties are daily reminders of Jehovah's humor and love! Such unconditional devotion is so healing in these last days.

Amos 4:12, in part: ".....Get ready to meet your God, O Israel."

Willow and Dina I have a little East African Sand Boa (sometimes called Kenyan Sand Boas) He's only about a foot long and that is has big as he will get his name is Hershey cos he is brown and cream-like milk and white chocolate. He eats thawed frozen fuzzies. My daughter had a Ball Python I loved but he was finicky and would only eat live food. I tried to train him but my daughter would give in to him although she did make a few meals of his into pets that he didn't eat. I just can't bear to feed live so I'm glad he is trained to eat the thawed.

72606=4058-sprintpics 368.jpg This spring he stopped eating and I was frantic, he always has a fuzzie a week. I even took him to the vet and he had x-rays looking for a blockage. Then come to find out they will do that sometimes during mating season. He shed and drank water. Finally, later in the summer he ate and he has been eating since. The little stinker had me scared silly! :heart:

My wife has a friend that had 2 boas. They would let them roam free around the house. After feeding them a "fuzzie", they would allow them to lay in the bed with them. Why? Because the digestion process was like a back massager! ROFL!!!!!!

Willow and Dina I have a little East African Sand Boa (sometimes called Kenyan Sand Boas) He's only about a foot long and that is has big as he will get his name is Hershey cos he is brown and cream-like milk and white chocolate. He eats thawed frozen fuzzies. My daughter had a Ball Python I loved but he was finicky and would only eat live food. I tried to train him but my daughter would give in to him although she did make a few meals of his into pets that he didn't eat. I just can't bear to feed live so I'm glad he is trained to eat the thawed.

72606=4058-sprintpics 368.jpg This spring he stopped eating and I was frantic' date=' he always has a fuzzie a week. I even took him to the vet and he had x-rays looking for a blockage. Then come to find out they will do that sometimes during mating season. He shed and drank water. Finally, later in the summer he ate and he has been eating since. The little stinker had me scared silly! :heart:[/quote'] I love your Boa...he only gets to be one foot long? Where did you get him? My son Sam,caught a garter snake and I let him keep it for a few days,he was quite a sweet little guy but I didn't want to feed him. So we took him back where we found him,we found this spot by a lake near us where the snakes come out to sunbath,big huge water snakes lay on the rocks and garter snakes are everywhere,we counted 11 water snakes one morning.They look like vipers.Scary looking.

Willow, there are mice, that are full grown, fuzzies are newborn baby mice that just got their fur, and pinkies which are the smallest are newborn baby mice with no fur. They are for smaller snakes, lizards, etc. The really big boas and pythons can eat rats, rat fuzzies, rat pinkies, even small rabbits. Nancy, I got him from a private breeder. Now for more news. My new lovebirds have two eggs! I'm gonna be a birdie grandma lol. :flowers:

Ok - that's "too much information"!:surrender: (Just kidding!) I accidentally came upon newborn mice in a field once and I thought they looked like erasers! I am looking forward to having a love for all of Jehovah's creatures in the New System but right now - mice are hard for me to LOVE...

The Bee

Well, I finally got the beagle, Buster, and the chow/lab, Tonka, to get along so the divider between the living room and kitchen is gone so now Tonka has access to the doggie door. One problem. Now Pu-chi can get into the kitchen. I had my granddaughter spend the night with a friend and she took out my 18 count egg container and made about 5 fried eggs. Forgot to put the egg carton and butter tub in the fridge. Next thing I know I hear thud-crack, thud-splat....he pulled both the butter and eggs down, cracked every single egg!. So I put them back in the fridge and will cook them up for the critters and get new eggs for us. The "Mooch" strikes again! ( I should be upset but came so close to putting him down I'm ok with his antics) :)

Ok - that's "too much information"!:surrender: (Just kidding!) I accidentally came upon newborn mice in a field once and I thought they looked like erasers! I am looking forward to having a love for all of Jehovah's creatures in the New System but right now -

mice are hard for me to LOVE...

says the pretty lady wrapped in a Boa! :uhhuh:

says the pretty lady wrapped in a Boa! :uhhuh:

Too funny, Betty! It's amazing how soft and silky those big ole snakes are!

The "dogapede" "centipooch" was great! But yeah - just think of all the squirming and wrestling when it cam time to work on all those nails! Makes me sweat just to think of it! And as for the mud - I used to put a towel down by the door that my dogs went in and out of and taught them to stop and "wipe" their feet on it. Can you imagine how L O N G the towel would have to be for that thing???:sweat::scared:

The Bee