JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Making Pizza

• 2 months later...

When I make pizza I do everything from scratch...except the pepperoni and the cheese (though I really wanna try making cashew mozzerella one day) and my pizzas are very high in fat XD

I found a pizza dough recipe that's very simple on youtube, so I use that. I like to rise it and knead it twice, because i find it makes it more fluffy imo.

I make my sauce from a sliced tomato, a garlic clove, a few mushrooms, white cooking wine, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, parsley and basil, blend it together and heat it up on a saucepan(I find it's better if I preheat it)
I had some olive oil, or butter with seasoning on it...or (typically) both

then just add the sauce and topics, typically mozzarella and pepperoni and mushrooms...on my side tho.

I've learned that heating the oven to the highest setting possible helps it cook better

my pizzas are usually pretty tasty. I find putting something on the crust to add some flavor to it helps a lot, otherwise it would taste rather bland.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to find a good gluten free dough. I've looked at some suggestions but nothing has struck my fancy.

I heard that Alfredo sauce is good for a white sauce, I could put chicken or shrimp on it and I think it'd be good. What do others use for a white sauce? And what toppings on it?

I have used Naan bread for a crust and I like it. It's a size you can put in a cast iron skillet with a lid and it makes a crispy crust. But now I can have it only very infrequently.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

29 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

I need to find a good gluten free dough.

Talk about oxymorons .... Good  :eek:  gluten free

I'm not sure that is possible :nope:

In all seriousness, on the pizza forum I am on I found this recipe:

DISCLAIMER: Remember, this isn't safe for your celiac friends unless your oven and other pizzamaking equipment are only used for gluten free food.  Otherwise, it's for the "I'm not celiac but I like eating gluten free" crowd

DRY INGREDIENTS:

1 1/4 cups corn starch
1 1/4 cups white rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup soy flour

1 Tbsp dry milk powder
1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1 tsp inulin
1 tsp baking powder

WET INGREDIENTS:
2 cups very warm water
2 Tbsp olive oil, plus some for drizzling over pizza

Mix dry ingredients (except for the yeast) in your stand mixer's bowl.  Dissolve yeast in the water for approximately 5-10 minutes, then add oil to the water/yeast mixture.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix on medium for approximately 3-4 minutes or until dough is thoroughly mixed.  The dough should have a consistency a little bit similar to ice cream.  You should be able to "dollop" it with a spoon, not pour it. If it's too wet, make sure to mix in some more white rice flour until it's solidified enough. On the other hand, you don't want it so dry that it forms a nice dry dough ball like a normal gluten pizza dough would be--if it's too dry, it'll dry out when baking in the oven. 

Cover and let rise in a warm location for approximately an hour or so, then place in fridge to rise overnight.  I transfer my dough to a tupperware container for this step--if you do too, make sure you scrape the mixing bowl, don't leave any dough behind! :) (NOTE: You can skip the fridge rise if you're really hungry, but the pizza won't taste quite as good, and the crust won't wind up being as well developed.)

I have not tried this since, because I don't need to eat gluten free - I don't. I prefer my dough to taste like dough :lol1:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 6/26/2018 at 4:01 AM, bobby said:

years a go i said the same thing to a bro. he said like to see how your do that without any meet 

i said you can make a vegetarian pizza, he did know what to say after that

What was his response to making a vegetarian pizza ?   :sick:          :shutup:

I made a keto (low carb) pizza and enjoyed it much better than a tradional flour dough pizza.  Used almond flour, mozzarella cheese, egg and spices then rolled into a ball and patted out in hot cast iron pan. Baked for 15mins then topped with homemade sauce, pepperoni, Canadian bacon, crumbled sausage, bell peppers, thinly sliced red onion, banana peppers, pineapple tidbits, and parmasean cheese then baked another 8 mins til cheese bubbly and browned.  Wonderful

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

My problem with gluten-less doughs is that they fall apart. What kept this dough together?...

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

28 minutes ago, Dove said:

My problem with gluten-less doughs is that they fall apart. What kept this dough together?...

The cheese and egg.  The crust was excellent.  I watched several you tube videos that showed them melting mozzarella and cream cheese first then adding flour and egg, oil or butter and seasoning.  The young man I watched simply place the grated mozzarella in a bowl with egg, fat of choice and almond flour and hand mixed, rolled into a ball, placed between two pieces of parchment and used a cutting board to press down on top of the ball and it made a perfect circle.  I will send you the link if you like.

i have also taken a roastisser chicken and shred it and used about 2 tablespoons of sugarfee bbq sauce with it.  Spread a light layer of the bbq sauce on the crust then added thinly sliced red onion, banana peppers, and the mozerella cheese balls sliced over the top for a bbq chicken pizza.  Another one is put salsa on the crust, add browned HB meat seasoned with taco seasonings, chopped onion, and cheddar and jack cheese.  Bake then add shredded lettuce, Fallon’s of sour cream and salsa for an unbelievably good taco pizza.

then I used the dough and made a Rueben calzone.  Thousand island dressing, shredded corned beef, well drained spoonful of sour kraut, and Swiss cheese!  They were e cells to too!  Just take your favorite sandwich ingredients and as Jehovah says ‘go to work’! 

LeslieDean

😁

30 minutes ago, LeslieDean said:

The cheese and egg.  The crust was excellent.  I watched several you tube videos that showed them melting mozzarella and cream cheese first then adding flour and egg, oil or butter and seasoning.  The young man I watched simply place the grated mozzarella in a bowl with egg, fat of choice and almond flour and hand mixed, rolled into a ball, placed between two pieces of parchment and used a cutting board to press down on top of the ball and it made a perfect circle.  I will send you the link if you like.

i have also taken a roastisser chicken and shred it and used about 2 tablespoons of sugarfee bbq sauce with it.  Spread a light layer of the bbq sauce on the crust then added thinly sliced red onion, banana peppers, and the mozerella cheese balls sliced over the top for a bbq chicken pizza.  Another one is put salsa on the crust, add browned HB meat seasoned with taco seasonings, chopped onion, and cheddar and jack cheese.  Bake then add shredded lettuce, Fallon’s of sour cream and salsa for an unbelievably good taco pizza.

then I used the dough and made a Rueben calzone.  Thousand island dressing, shredded corned beef, well drained spoonful of sour kraut, and Swiss cheese!  They were e cells to too!  Just take your favorite sandwich ingredients and as Jehovah says ‘go to work’! 

Wow you sound like a great cook...will you marry me....?:wub:😁

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

18 minutes ago, LeslieDean said:

😂

im already spoken for! 🤔. But I would love to get together and cook with you! 

Maybe in the new world, but hopefully we won't even have to cook that much unless we want to..I'm thinking we can just go out and pick everything off trees like A&E did 😄...just the right amount of vitamins, minerals, carbs; no fuss, no muss..

Edited by Dove

Not me.  I love the creativity involved in cooking!  The only creative gene I possess.  I am not good at anything else. Can’t sing, play a musical instrument, terrible with numbers, hate laundry. I used to really enjoy cleaning house for some reason but no motivation now.  I cant garden.  But I want to learn all these things plus many more!

LeslieDean

17 minutes ago, LeslieDean said:

Not me.  I love the creativity involved in cooking!  The only creative gene I possess.  I am not good at anything else. Can’t sing, play a musical instrument, terrible with numbers, hate laundry. I used to really enjoy cleaning house for some reason but no motivation now.  I cant garden.  But I want to learn all these things plus many more!

From your posts I gather you're a good nurse....😊   But possibly we won't need that skill then, at least not on a regular basis like now. But I'm sure once in awhile someone will stub their toe or cut a finger...or maybe have a baby....😄

Edited by Dove

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to start making my own now, with the improvements in the quality of diet I've been doing for quite a while now (as I don't eat junk food anymore, or things with refined sugar), I am trying to be as organic as possible, and I realised white bread has sugar and other proccessed things in it, so now have wholemeal breads.

With pizza, usually just buy them in, but now, with the whole removal of white bread and proccessed foods, I'm going to make my own organic ones, with wholemeal dough or pre-made bases.

All these diatery improvements I've been doing on my own accord and knowledge, and I had not even realised all this time I was pretty much eating a mediterranean diet, until I looked it up as I knew it was considered one of the healthiest in the world. Only changes I've had to make to make it pure is the bread and pasta being wholemeal, and of course as I've said, making my own healthy pizzas now.

I made a "cast iron" pizza from a recipe I found on Cook's Country

It is an easy recipe for both the dough and the sauce. Even though they did not use a whole grain flour (they used "bread" flour) there is no reason it would not work with a whole grain flour.

IMG_20180725_214919.thumb.jpg.f70d378e7a99f8e6d3601f9a30a44e12.jpg

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 7/28/2018 at 8:05 AM, Qapla said:

I made a "cast iron" pizza from a recipe I found on Cook's Country

It is an easy recipe for both the dough and the sauce. Even though they did not use a whole grain flour (they used "bread" flour) there is no reason it would not work with a whole grain flour.

IMG_20180725_214919.thumb.jpg.f70d378e7a99f8e6d3601f9a30a44e12.jpg

That looks amazing. Cast iron skillets work well as they works similar to a pizza stone. I usually make a whole wheat cracker thin crust with my homemade red sauce, mozzarella pearls and tons of vegetables (I like onions, olives, bell pepper, mushrooms - the works.) It goes great with a side salad with oil/vinegar based dressing and similar vegetables as the pizza added to it. :) Now I'm hungry!