JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Russia Banned From 2018 Winter Olympics

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2304 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://www.si.com/olympics/2017/12/05/russia-olympic-committee-banned-2018-winter-olympics-doping-ioc-decision

The Russian Olympic Committee has been suspended and all athletes from Russia will have to compete under a nuetral flag at the 2018 Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea after the International Olympic Committee examined the findings of a 16-month investigation into Russia's doping and cheating at the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi.

"This was an unprecedented attack on the integrity of the Olympic Games and sport," IOC President Thomas Bach said in a statement. "The IOC Executive Board, after following due process, has issued proportional sanctions for this systemic manipulation while protecting the clean athletes. This should draw a line under this damaging episode and serve as a catalyst for a more effective anti-doping system led by WADA. As an athlete myself, I feel very sorry for all the clean athletes from all NOCs who are suffering from this manipulation. 

I wonder how THEY will feel about being banned!

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

10 hours ago, Tortuga said:

So, Russia won't be in SK if NK bombs the Olympics? :huh:

That's interesting...

I am trying to picture NK bombing SK while China has 100s of it's top athletes there. I am having a difficult time imagining it.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

8 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

And this is the winter olympics we're talking about.  Not the one in Tokyo in 2020 (more fear from NK then too).

Yes. 2018 Winter Games in PyeongChang, South Korea.

http://www.history.com/news/russia-isnt-the-first-country-to-be-banned-from-the-olympics

Throughout history, rogue nations have been sidelined many times. Among the earliest and most famous to be denied were aggressors in World War I. In 1920, five countries—Austria, Hungary, Germany, Turkey and Bulgaria—were not invited to the games in Antwerp, Belgium. “The invitations used to come from the host city,” says Philip Barker, an executive committee member of the International Society of Olympic Historians. “They have changed that now, so the invitations come from the IOC.” In 1948, after World War II, Germany and Japan were similarly left out. “There was a lot of residual bad feeling, to put it mildly,” says Barker, who notes the animosity lasted in Britain for decades largely due to Japan’s treatment of prisoners of war.

Russia has also sat out the Olympics voluntarily. In 1984, the then-Soviet Union led a boycott of the Los Angeles Olympic games, largely in response to the U.S.-led boycott of the 1980 Moscow games because of Russian intervention in Afghanistan.

http://www.topendsports.com/events/summer/bans.htm

1920 Antwerp: Five countries were banned due to their involvement in the First World War: Austria, Bulgaria, Turkey, Hungary and Germany.

1924 Paris: The ban of Germany following WWI continued, though Austria, Bulgaria, Turkey, Hungary were allowed to compete.

1948 London: Germany and Japan were barred for their participation in the Second World War.

1964 Tokyo: South Africa was banned by the IOC from taking part due to its oppressive apartheid regime. This ban lasted until 1992. IOC also banned all athletes that took part in the 1963 Games of the New Emerging Forces (GANEFO). Indonesia and North Korea withdrew in protest of this decision.

1968 Mexico: the ban on South Africa due to their apartheid regime continued. North Korea competed again in the second GANEFO in 1966), which meant they were suspended by the IOC, causing the nation to miss the 1968 Olympics as well.

1972 Munich: The ban on South Africa due to their apartheid regime continued. Rhodesia (now known as Zimbabwe) was banned from participating, as other African countries threatened to pull out if Rhodesia took part.

1976 Montreal: the ban on South Africa due to their apartheid regime continued.

1980 Moscow: the ban on South Africa due to their apartheid regime continued.

1984 Los Angeles: the ban on South Africa due to their apartheid regime continued.

1988 Barcelona: the ban on South Africa due to their apartheid regime continued.

2000 Sydney: Afghanistan was banned from the Olympics due to its discrimination against women under Taliban rule as well as its prohibition of sports of any kind.

2016 Rio: Many Russian competitors were banned following revelations of state-sponsored doping - all athletes from athletics, rowing, weightlifting and canoeing were banned. The Kuwaiti Olympic Committee had been suspended since October 2015 due to interference from the government (they were also suspended in 2010, but the suspension was lifted before the start of the 2012 Olympic Games). Subsequently a total of nine Kuwaiti athletes competed under the Olympic flag.

http://www.topendsports.com/events/summer/boycotts.htm

11 hours ago, Tortuga said:

So, Russia won't be in SK if NK bombs the Olympics? :huh:

That's interesting...

58 minutes ago, trottigy said:

I am trying to picture NK bombing SK while China has 100s of it's top athletes there. I am having a difficult time imagining it.

If NK sends athletes, I'd take it as a sign of no attack.  

http://www.newsweek.com/north-korea-south-korea-buffer-zone-winter-olympics-612155

Edited by Shawnster

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

If NK sends athletes, I'd take it as a sign of no attack.  

I wouldn't bet the farm on that.

My comment was only half serious but since you brought this up I'd say there is always a possibility that NK could use their athletes as suicide bombers.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

27 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Based on NK's history of suicide bombers, no doubt.

I haven't checked but I assume their history of suicide bombers matches their history of ICBM launches...^_^

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D