JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Amazon Alexa and JW.ORG

Alexa is just a voice assistant for Amazon devices, similar to Siri, OK Google or Cortana. It understands some voice commands.

JW Access is a site created by some individual Witnesses that tells Alexa where every sound file is located at JW.org. So if you tell Alexa to read you the latest magazine, that site points to the audio of the most recent magazine in a "language" that Alexa can understand. The website states clearly that all the audio is streamed directly from JW.org and none of it is stored at jwaccess.com

There's no reason to question any of those programs. In fact, it's not necessary nor loving to immediately question everything the friends suggest. :shrugs:
That's ok to question! everyone processes info in their mind differently... I'm so grateful you dear friends are putting the puzzle together... Thank-you, thank-you.... I even feel confident this is ok to use. Especially with all your help... I could have never explained all that you guys have put together. Love you brothers and sisters

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

I don’t know about you, but I have been taught to be extremely careful with these matters. It’s important that we find out whether or not applications like these are trustworthy, and how they work. It’s the loving thing to do, I think. You shouldn’t question everything, but some things are good to question. Especially when you don’t know.
Like me for instance... Lol

https://www.jw.org/en/terms-of-use/
You may not:
[...]
Create for distribution purposes, any software applications, tools, or techniques that are specifically made to collect, copy, download, extract, harvest, or scrape data, HTML, images, or text from this site. (This does not prohibit the distribution of free, non-commercial applications designed to download electronic files such as EPUB, PDF, MP3, and MP4 files from public areas of this site.)
So, JW ACCESS is free and OK to use.. right?

This could be a real benefit to some of our dear brothers and sisters.

What a great find!

Can Alexa speaker-thingy stream to Bluetooth headphones?

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

• 3 weeks later...

I now have the Amazon Alexa on my Kindle 7 tablet.

I downloaded the JWaccess skill.

I would like to play the Watchtower lesson for the coming week but I have not been able to get Alexa to bring it up for me.

I am now sure how I should phrase my request or if the WT lesson is available.

If someone knows the answer to this could you please help me?  Thank You.

6 hours ago, Rose Flower said:

I now have the Amazon Alexa on my Kindle 7 tablet.

I downloaded the JWaccess skill.

I would like to play the Watchtower lesson for the coming week but I have not been able to get Alexa to bring it up for me.

I am now sure how I should phrase my request or if the WT lesson is available.

If someone knows the answer to this could you please help me?  Thank You.

According to their website:

Weekly Watchtower Study

• “Alexa, ask JW Access to play this weeks Watch tower Study”
  • “Alexa, ask JW Access to play next weeks Watch tower Study”
  • “Alexa, ask JW Access to play last weeks Watch tower Study”

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to set up the Amazon Dot but so far am unable to connect it to wi-fi. I've installed the app to all 3 of my devices but when I go to the App store all that is there is apps for individual things like music, et. I can't find any that say how to set up wifi. Is there a specific name for it other than the individual skills apps?

I was told my browser was not supported so I installed one of the suggested browsers, (which I already had) filled in forms, entered passwords, still no Alexa app shows on any of the screens.

I've read countless pages, watched videos on Amazon and google but they all give the same instructions, to 'go to the alexa app' to continue..I'm sure it's something very simple so I really don't know why my simple mind can't find it..:wacko:

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I am trying to set up the Amazon Dot but so far am unable to connect it to wi-fi. I've installed the app to all 3 of my devices but when I go to the App store all that is there is apps for individual things like music, et. I can't find any that say how to set up wifi. Is there a specific name for it other than the individual skills apps?
I was told my browser was not supported so I installed one of the suggested browsers, (which I already had) filled in forms, entered passwords, still no Alexa app shows on any of the screens.
I've read countless pages, watched videos on Amazon and google but they all give the same instructions, to 'go to the alexa app' to continue..I'm sure it's something very simple so I really don't know why my simple mind can't find it..:wacko:
You have this app downloaded?
This is the device I have. Is this what u have?
I don't remember how to set it up. I will ask my daughter. But can't get back to u till later tonight.. 0b3680f4e68fb06a2b5a36892f6a4662.jpg539f2b6b89437c26448468a6c7522ce3.jpg

2 minutes ago, SheyZ said:

You have this app downloaded?
This is the device I have. Is this what u have?
I don't remember how to set it up. I will ask my daughter. But can't get back to u till later tonight.. emoji45.png0b3680f4e68fb06a2b5a36892f6a4662.jpg539f2b6b89437c26448468a6c7522ce3.jpg

I have the small one that looks like a hockey puck..in the picture below yours..it's called the Dot.

As far as I know, i have downloaded and installed the app from both Amazon and my iphone and ipad but it doesn't show up on any of the screens. I went to the app stores and did the same but with the same results..no app or wifi..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I have the small one that looks like a hockey puck..in the picture below yours..it's called the Dot.
As far as I know, i have downloaded and installed the app from both Amazon and my iphone and ipad but it doesn't show up on any of the screens. I went to the app stores and did the same but with the same results..no app or wifi..
So u have the blue and white app that I sent a picture of above on your phone and other devices?

6 hours ago, SheyZ said:

So u have the blue and white app that I sent a picture of above on your phone and other devices?

Hi Shey, I finally got it connected and it's working  but I would  like to  connect to JW.ORG, the main reason I got it.

Don't know if that is considered 'Skills' and something I need to purchase since I was required to enter my credit card information in order to connect?  

Thank you for your interest in helping me..:)

Edited by Dove

Hi Shey, I finally got it connected and it's working  but I would  like to  connect to JW.ORG, the main reason I got it.
Don't know if that is considered 'Skills' and something I need to purchase since I was required to enter my credit card information in order to connect?  

Thank you for your interest in helping me..
So glad u got it figured out... yay!
Now open the Alexa app (blue and white circle)
Next to the word HOME in the left corner there are 3 lines ... Tap that - scroll down too SKILLS. tap that - in the SEARCH ... type .. JW ACCESS ... download that...

Now that you have downloaded the skill, tap JW Access symbol .... Go down to
"SEE MORE" ... There you will have suggestions on what to ask Alexa in order to get to JW.ORG

You must always say:
Alexa, ask JW Access to play ...... (Whatever u want it to play)

It doesn't read a whole magazine yet. But the brother said they are working in it.

(I DON'T understand the JW.ORG skill. As far as I can tell it just works in "NEWS BRIEFING" .. if u add it to your news briefing the jw.org app just tells you quick little things like the title of the new Watchtower or awake that's it. Now there may be more to it but I'm not that great at all this skills thing.

Hope this helps...

Thank you for your interest in helping me..
WHAT ??? ... I didn't have to add my credit card # for anything. Maybe because I already have my credit card # saved in Amazon ,

Forgot to add pictures for reference..28782a42c9c14c078c687305ee996518.jpg6c8d25ba5489dfd44c586091f269d260.jpg

15 minutes ago, SheyZ said:

So glad u got it figured out... yay!
Now open the Alexa app (blue and white circle)
Next to the word HOME in the left corner there are 3 lines ... Tap that - scroll down too SKILLS. tap that - in the SEARCH ... type .. JW ACCESS ... download that...

Now that you have downloaded the skill, tap JW Access symbol .... Go down to
"SEE MORE" ... There you will have suggestions on what to ask Alexa in order to get to JW.ORG

You must always say:
Alexa, ask JW Access to play ...... (Whatever u want it to play)

It doesn't read a whole magazine yet. But the brother said they are working in it.

(I DON'T understand the JW.ORG skill. As far as I can tell it just works in "NEWS BRIEFING" .. if u add it to your news briefing the jw.org app just tells you quick little things like the title of the new Watchtower or awake that's it. Now there may be more to it but I'm not that great at all this skills thing.

Hope this helps... emoji851.png

Yeah, worked on it off and on today and this evening finally got everything going.

I don't know why I had to fill in the cc info because it's stored on Amazon Prime, but that was the reason I couldn't initially get through. Once I did that everything started working. Everything I installed was free..

Just having some fun with Alexa.

I asked her, ''what is God's name?'

She said, 'sorry, I don't know that one.'

I then asked her, 'would you like to know God's name?'

She said she 'didn't have an opinion on that'.

So..I read her Psalms 83:18 and said 'now you know God's name'.

She again said, 'sorry I didn't know that.'

I'm wondering, can I count my time? :lol::lol::lol:

(just being silly with my new toy)

Edited by Dove

Just having some fun with Alexa.

I asked her, ''what is God's name?'
She said, 'sorry, I don't know that one.'
I then asked her, 'would you like to know God's name?'
She said she 'didn't have an opinion on that'.
So..I read her Psalms 83:18 and said 'now you know God's name'.
She again said, 'sorry I didn't know that.'

I'm wondering, can I count my time? 

(just being silly with my new toy)

Hahaha... You are funny🤣

The Echos finally arrived in Oz on Feb 1st and arrived at my house 6 days ago. :D  I was lucky enough to get mine really cheap on a pre-order offer which I accidently came across and my daughter got one too -- so we bought 2 and got it even cheaper. LOL

I am loving the voice control and the JWAcess skill and I love the surprise of which morning worship/dramatic bible reading/song it plays.  Takes the stress of decision making right out of my addled brain. :lol:  I also listened to this weeks WT study on it just by asking.  How lazy am I getting!!! :lol2:

I love, too, that my daughter, who doesn't live with me, and I, can chat to each other on it in our respective homes.  I just Ask Alexa to contact her, her Alexa interrupts whatever she is doing on it (usually just listening to music) and we have a chat. :D

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.