JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New GB Member

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1862 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

1 minute ago, Stavro said:

Not necessarily. There's no Scriptural rule that only those of the generation can be part of the GB, and brother Cook could have become anointed after 1992 (using the death of brother Franz as the cutoff date for the generation).

I think you are correct about that. I was under the impression that since there has never been a GB who was not a contemporary, that would be the de-facto pattern. But it could be the case still since it cannot be said Franz represents the last member of the first group. But I do fully get your point.

Yes Doug, not overweight as such, but 'puffy' like he's on prednisone or something. I've noticed too Brother Losch is looking frail = they all are really except for Brother Sanderson.

Lovely news ... can't wait to hear a talk from him. Chariot is always on the move ... exciting in fact.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

12 minutes ago, Doug said:

If I recall, EVERY helper to the GB were used during the Watchtower summary at the Annual Meeting, including their wives (if one).

So, then, Brother Cook should have been introduced to us when his turn to comment came up.

Some of the GB are getting along in years. I thought Brother Morris may not be healthy. He seemed overweight and I thought he had a lot of make up on for the video stream. A lot of make up could be due to liver spots.

I recall the site reading that the appointment was made this morning. The AM was in October. Not sure why your comments about Morris' health are relevant, though.

Edited by Bob

1 minute ago, Bob said:

But it could be the case still since it cannot be said Franz represents the last member of the first group.

He was the example used in the September 2015 JWB, and it's very unlikely that there were many of the first group who lived on for many years afterwards. Even if we tack on another 10 years and use a cutoff of 2002 (when the youngest of group one would be over 100 years old), that means someone could be anointed for 15 years and not part of the generation.

1 hour ago, Jonathan77 said:

Sounds like he has stayed under the radar, humbly doing what he does for Jehovah.

This is a good point I think, and is shows, in my opinion, why the existing body selects additional members. Humility is obviously a requirement (not that the other prominent brothers are not humble -- you have to be to be used in that capacity), but it prevents lobbying and politicking for a seat on the body.

Edited by Bob

41 minutes ago, Bob said:

I recall the site reading that the appointment was made this morning. The AM was in October. Not sure why your comments about Morris' health are relevant, though.

Yes, indeed. The AM was in October. I'm pretty sure Bro. Cook was a helper at the time.  So, we may have already "met" him.

Observations regarding Bro. Morris are related to post 8 and 12.

A funny thing happened while typing this . . . My autocorrect changed Bro. Cook to Bro. Cool.  How cool is that !?!

Everything happens for a reason. Maybe the GB do this to take some tasks away from the oldest. There could also get some major changes in the near future of which the GB decided under prayers to add an extra member. Who will tell... but one thing is for sure.... it's not without a reason. 

But until the day that this will be revealed or understood, I'll certainly will enjoy his participation in the broadcast. I'm very curious of his way of giving readings / lectures. 

7 minutes ago, stuarteyre said:

Does anybody know if this is the same Brother Cook who gave the awesome talk about Jesus, “Look! The Man.”??

A few of ‘this’ brother Cook’s talks can be found on the Central Prints site. 

If so he’s an amazing speaker!! 

I’m trying to find the talk and I can’t find it. Can you link it via a private message?

3 hours ago, Zebra555 said:

https://www.jw.org/en/news/

News Alerts

BREAKING NEWS | Kenneth Cook Appointed to the Governing Body

On Wednesday morning, January 24, 2018, it was announced to the United States and Canada Bethel families that Kenneth Cook had been appointed to the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Prior to being appointed to the Governing Body, Brother Cook was a helper to the Writing Committee.

Brother Cook started pioneering on September 1, 1982, and began serving at the United States branch on October 12, 1984. The Governing Body is now composed of eight anointed brothers.

It is our united prayer that Jehovah continue to bless the Governing Body as it oversees the activities of Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide.—1 Thessalonians 5:12, 13

About an hour ago I posted these 3 paragraphs and the heading on Instagram as I was so excited. Just got a text message from a brother (not an elder) pointing me to the recent article about not posting copyrighted material on social media. I have taken it down and replaced it with basic text from my notepad app and thanked him for the reminder. So just a quick question did I break the terms of use as set out on jw.org? Does such a small bit of info constitute fair use? Thanks in advance.

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

I think it is fair use. Posting entire articles is frowned on and several have had portions of their posts deleted for that reason. Here is a brief summary of the US interpretation of 'fair use:' 

"In its most general sense, a fair use is any copying of copyrighted material done for a limited and “transformative” purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work. Such uses can be done without permission from the copyright owner. " Apr 4, 2013  https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

9 minutes ago, Old said:

I think it is fair use. Posting entire articles is frowned on and several have had portions of their posts deleted for that reason. Here is a brief summary of the US interpretation of 'fair use:' 

"In its most general sense, a fair use is any copying of copyrighted material done for a limited and “transformative” purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work. Such uses can be done without permission from the copyright owner. " Apr 4, 2013  https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html

I think it is fair use as well although I must admit those 3 paragraphs and the heading are the entire news article. Is the size of it a factor?

I don’t plan on correcting the brother as I have thanked him for the reminder and already altered my Instagram post so as to not cause any unnecessary issues. I just would like to be prepared to state the fact that fair use allows such small amounts of information to be shared and discussed upon and that the issue of copyright would remain protected. Also am I right in thinking my use of the article is not what the society was trying to stop but rather it was the posting of articles on social media with the view to discussing those articles with non Witnesses?

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

13 minutes ago, MentalProject said:

I think it is fair use as well although I must admit those 3 paragraphs and the heading are the entire news article. Is the size of it a factor?

I don’t plan on correcting the brother as I have thanked him for the reminder and already altered my Instagram post so as to not cause any unnecessary issues. I just would like to be prepared to state the fact that fair use allows such small amounts of information to be shared and discussed upon and that the issue of copyright would remain protected. Also am I right in thinking my use of the article is not what the society was trying to stop but rather it was the posting of articles on social media with the view to discussing those articles with non Witnesses?

Yes, it’s to deter posting copyrighted material on social media (like Instagram). However, the ToU do not specify witnesses or non-witnesses. That’s just the way ToU are nowadays.

15 minutes ago, MentalProject said:

I would think that, as you included a link to the actual article, it is not copyright infringement. Also, it a news release, isn't it? Are those not meant to be distributed?

2 minutes ago, Guri said:

Stormswift,

That is very good. Jehovah is happy God, so are his worshipers.

Some brothers though can look quite serious - austere almost - he has a glint in his eye - I like that.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

21 minutes ago, Sylv said:

I would think that, as you included a link to the actual article, it is not copyright infringement. Also, it a news release, isn't it? Are those not meant to be distributed?

I didn’t include link. I have tried before but you don’t seem to be able to include links on Instagram.

do we really have to comment on possible medications the GB members may or may not be on?  :wacko:

I really hope we could apply the principle of, if nothing upbuilding to say, maybe not say it at all. Especially when there is so much positive to say about these ones!  Their spirituality is of such a high calibre that Jehovah, the Creator of all things, specifically watched and individually chose them to soon take on a privilege higher than the angels receive!

let's comment on what their spirit, not their bodies, look like. no?

3 hours ago, Stavro said:

He was the example used in the September 2015 JWB, and it's very unlikely that there were many of the first group who lived on for many years afterwards. Even if we tack on another 10 years and use a cutoff of 2002 (when the youngest of group one would be over 100 years old), that means someone could be anointed for 15 years and not part of the generation.

Br, Klein was baptized in 1918 and died in 2001.  1914 to 1918 would be a small adjustment (since we stress 1919 as setting u the Faithful Slave).  Just a thought.