JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Life Story of Bro. Samuel Herd of The Governing Body, Wt. May 2018

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2244 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Thanks Brother Enoch! :)

That was such an encouraging article, here are a few quotes that I really liked, 1 made me laugh and 1 made me have tears(tears of surprise at the outstanding kindness and generosity that was shown to Brother Herd and his wife)

"...when I was about 14, I got baptized in a local creek—dipped three times for the Trinity!"  :D

"What would I do? I had no money to travel to New York. I seriously thought about taking the job and turning down the invitation to the school. In fact, I was getting ready to write a letter declining the invitation when something happened that I will never forget.

A sister in our congregation, whose husband was an unbeliever, knocked on our door early one morning and handed me an envelope. It was full of money. She and several of her young children had been getting up very early in the morning to  go out in the fields and chop cotton—removing the weeds growing between the rows—in order to earn enough money so that I could take the trip to New York. She said, “Go to school and learn as much as you can, and come back and teach us!” Later, I asked the telephone company if I could start working there five weeks later than planned. The answer was an emphatic, “No!” But it didn’t matter. I had made my decision. I am so glad that I did not take that job!"

Wow, what that sister did touched my heart! :o

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

I really joyed reading his story and how Jehovah really appreciates people who come from humble beginnings. Brother Herd has always been interesting to me since I started watching the videos and seeing him talk when JW broadcasting first came up.. he seems so funny and kind! I’m sure Jehovah and Jesus can appreciate his sense of humor :lol:

I really enjoyed this story about br Herd! He has also been interesting to me since JWB came out- I love his sense of humor. He will say something looking so serious, then after a minute I realize that he slid one in there. Lol He routinely reminds me that Jehovah and Jesus must have senses of humor. 

It would be nice if they eventually did stories like this on all of the GB members. :)

11 hours ago, Bob said:

His story basically puts our alleged "racist" history to bed. The law and general mentality of bigots segregated us.

True, that why there was a "Colored Branch" in the late 20's into the early 30's because of racism. Rutherford had to take care of this. His story touches home.

6 hours ago, Saffron said:

It would be nice if they eventually did stories like this on all of the GB members. :)

Anthony Morris III: https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2015361

Geoffrey Jackson: https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2015601

Gerrit Lösch: https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2014525

They never did get to doing a life story for Brother Guy Pierce, except for this one after his death. I'd like to see a story about Brother David Splane, since he is a fellow Canadian. And of course, I'd like to learn why Brother Stephen Lett is always so lively! I just hope they get to publishing other life stories of current GB members while they're still with us.

There were plenty of stories done on previous Governing Body members. Just do a search in Watchtower Library (the DVD version).