JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Well it happened

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2146 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

A & E has a program, “Cults and Extreme Beliefs”. I guess it aired Tuesday. It is now on the front page of the local paper. A woman, holding a sign, “707 Safe”, in front of the Fortuna Kingdom Hall. She has accused a brother of horrible sexual assault, and the congregation covering for him. Apparently the one she has accused is still in the congregation in our local area. 

We have been warned we would hear horrible things.

At this point, I will tell my husband, (he showed the article to me) that I wasn’t there, and I can’t say what happened, but I know elders do not pound the table with their fists at judicial hearings. Begged some 70elders to do something, she said. 

Made my mouth go dry...

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

My mom ended up watching this and I was so disappointed in her! I told her she shouldn't have watched it because apostates will obviously be the ones interviewed. We don't want to let them in our homes let alone our minds by listening to them! She actually felt sorry for them she said. I told her it's one thing to feel sorry if it's true about the sexual abuse but it's another thing when they spread malicious lies about the governing body. Shake muh head.

Anymore, the more outrageous something is, the nastier it is, the most scandalous it is, there is a platform. I did read this, because I suspect I will face it in the ministry. Big ol picture of this woman holding a sign in front of our hall, and it is just down the road from us. About 70 Miles, and it is sort of a rural area, so, 70 Miles is not that far. We have ones from that congregation give talks in our hall. 

This area is familiar with, um, “crazies”, so, it should not be all that bad. 

And it must have been a low news day for it to end up on the front page of the paper. 

Just proves those newspapers are just mostly good for recycling and starting fires! 

We are only going to hear more and more stuff like this... I'm  already seeing stuff posted online about controversies concerning upcoming new light...apostates have nothing better to do than smear Jehovah's name, sigh...

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

14 hours ago, LeslieDean said:

What does 707 Safe mean?

When you turn 707 upside down, it says "LOL" - which sums up how I feel about anyone who claims we're a cult or has strange beliefs :D

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

3 hours ago, cricket246 said:

We are only going to hear more and more stuff like this... I'm  already seeing stuff posted online about controversies concerning upcoming new light...apostates have nothing better to do than smear Jehovah's name, sigh...

I seldom see posts from apostates and I spend way to much time on the internet, just ask my wife.  Therefore I am curious, where are you looking? Might one choose to look the other way? :) 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I see it occasionally too, but it is only when I get bored and start scrolling around on Instagram (my page is for business) or sometimes when I read comments on certain articles.. I always feel shocked when I see stuff like this and immediately back right out. 😕

17 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

A & E has a program, “Cults and Extreme Beliefs”. I guess it aired Tuesday. It is now on the front page of the local paper. A woman, holding a sign, “707 Safe”, in front of the Fortuna Kingdom Hall. She has accused a brother of horrible sexual assault, and the congregation covering for him. Apparently the one she has accused is still in the congregation in our local area. 

We have been warned we would hear horrible things.

At this point, I will tell my husband, (he showed the article to me) that I wasn’t there, and I can’t say what happened, but I know elders do not pound the table with their fists at judicial hearings. Begged some 70elders to do something, she said. 

Made my mouth go dry...

As Miss Bea has stated "I know elders do not pound the table with their fists," there is a lot of very biased information in the Newspaper article, so I assume it was even more-so in the A& E production. A&E stands for Arts and Entertainment, since there is little art in this topic we can assume it was produced for its entertainment value, similar to the news rags at the check out counter.

Like Miss Bea, I am familiar with the Fortuna Congregation. I have given talks in that hall. I knew some of the elders from the time this article purports to cover.  I am confident that this unbelievable conduct on the part of the elders is just that, UNBELIEVABLE!

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 minute ago, Old said:

Like Miss Bea, I am familiar with the Fortuna Congregation. I have given talks in that hall. I knew some of the elders from the time this article purports to cover.  I am confident that this unbelievable conduct on the part of the elders is just that, UNBELIEVABLE!

We believe you! 😃

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I canceled my subscription to the Humbolt Times-Standard Newspaper*.

Hey, Times-Standard put that in your oven and turn it on high! :lol:  

*Actually I canceled my subscription 50 years ago when I moved to Oregon but felt the need for an additional 2 cents of IMHO!

I know. Unbelievable. Thing is, the few times the media covers us, tv and the newspaper, it’s almost outright apostasy. I was grateful for the decent coverage the Times gave us. At this point, the media is almost the Devils mouthpiece. 

Yes, l did watch that program. What i got out of it was what our Brothers said, we follow the laws. Seriously I know of no one who if they had an abused child who would not go to a Doctor, then to the Police, and also the Elders for help. Its just mother bear instinct. I am an abuse survivor from the world, not my Spiritual Family. Im glad to be prepared if this comes up in the Ministry.

I was out in service yesterday. Nary a word. But, one of the elders in  my car group has copies of the society’s stance on child abuse. And, I tell you, it’s up front and downright plain. He was prepared. 

It might be different if one lived in Fortuna. I imagine they all are carrying that printout!

On 6/3/2018 at 6:46 PM, Miss Bea said:

I know. Unbelievable. Thing is, the few times the media covers us, tv and the newspaper, it’s almost outright apostasy. I was grateful for the decent coverage the Times gave us. At this point, the media is almost the Devils mouthpiece. 

No im sorry but it is the devils mouth piece plain and simple. Make no mistake of that.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

I did watch it too. I have been confronted with this in the ministry. Nowadays it is treated as a crime and not a sin, and rightly so, and therefore should be directly reported to the Police. I think they have the capacity to deal with these issues. Being in Australia and having the ARC here it has led to discussions at the door and its good to be able to say yes we as an organisation are dealing with this problem.

Edited by trottigy

Mods choice

13 hours ago, kovaxx said:

I did watch it too. I have been confronted with this in the ministry. Nowadays it is treated as a crime and not a sin, and rightly so, and therefore should be directly reported to the Police. I think they have the capacity to deal with these issues. Being in Australia and having the ARC here it has led to discussions at the door and its good to be able to say yes we as an organisation are dealing with this problem.

I don't think it's quite correct to say, "not a sin". These things are not mutually exclusive. It seems appropriate to call it both - a crime and a sin. The police could handle the criminal aspect and the congregation the sin. 

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

6 hours ago, trottigy said:

I don't think it's quite correct to say, "not a sin". These things are not mutually exclusive. It seems appropriate to call it both - a crime and a sin. The police could handle the criminal aspect and the congregation the sin. 

My comment was completely edited Jerry and not what I had said at all :-) but I agree with you.