JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Are there any hunters here?

Recently I looked for a professional company to do my yard work. I found one that had a high rating and good recommendations. When the owner came out to give me an estimate, he saw that I have a woods behind my house. He said he would make me a deal; he would come once every month and  would do the work without any charge to me in exchange for letting him set up a camera in the woods for deer. He cannot eat the meat in the stores without getting sick so it's not just for the sport of hunting but food. 

After he left, I began to wonder how this works; I couldn't find any answers on the Internet.

For example, even if his camera picks up a deer, how can he get here fast enough from where ever he is at that moment before the deer is gone?

He said I wouldn't hear or see anything that happens, but how will he remove it from my property without me seeing it? It's not important I guess but just wonder how this all happens.

I know I will need to ask him all these questions when he comes back but I also wonder Is there any danger in this proposition? I did ask him if a camera would be facing the house and he said no, but how would I know that? 

I've already been scammed by a tree guy that took my money and didn't come back and am still dealing with the consequences of that. I don't want to do something else that may even be more of a threat..

As I said, the company has a very good reputation so I'm thinking that it may be okay; I don't think they would risk the reputation of their business and I did read online that cameras set in woods for this purpose are a common thing...I just don't know how far this practice extends..

Deer hunting season here starts in September..but the yard work will begin next week..

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

My husband is a hunter and my dad was an avid hunter and landowner. My dad didn't let anyone he didn't know well use his property. (Family and very dear friends only and he even restricted some family lol) He had several concerns... If the person was hurt on his land them trying to sue him and the second concern was them going in and planting things that shouldn't be there. He was in his 70's he owned over 80 acres and there would be no way for him to know. Law enforcement often will do flyovers large wooded areas to check for "crops".

Since the person is a total stranger I, personally, would not allow it. Just my opinion though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Dove said:

When the owner came out to give me an estimate, he saw that I have a woods behind my house. He said he would make me a deal; he would come once every month and  would do the work without any charge to me in exchange for letting him set up a camera in the woods for deer. He cannot eat the meat in the stores without getting sick so it's not just for the sport of hunting but food. 

After he left, I began to wonder how this works; I couldn't find any answers on the Internet.

For example, even if his camera picks up a deer, how can he get here fast enough from where ever he is at that moment before the deer is gone?

I am not a hunter but based on what you say, I assume he wants to set up a camera before hunting season to determine if there are deer in the area. Once he confirms there are deer there, I would assume he would try to make arrangements to hunt in that area as soon as deer season opens. That is assuming he is being honest....

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

7 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I am not a hunter but based on what you say, I assume he wants to set up a camera before hunting season to determine if there are deer in the area. Once he confirms there are deer there, I would assume he would try to make arrangements to hunt in that area as soon as deer season opens. That is assuming he is being honest....

Oh, I see..the camera is to confirm the deer are there. Then he would come whenever he can for the hunting..but he'd have to come here so often because they appear spontaneously..maybe it will be on the days he does the work when he's already here..thx

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

Sorry. I wouldn’t do it. The deer around your property trust you. Then, bam! There it goes. 

He could find his wild meat somewhere else, or go vegetarian!

We are Indian, and love venison from the past. (Friends share it, especially with my husbands Mother, who has been gone for years. She shared it with us) 

We, as Indians, can hunt on the reservation year around. (Not good, at all!) 

We have decided as long as we can have someone else kill the beef at Costco for us, that we shall do! 

Edited by Miss Bea

Redundancy!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Thanks Bea, but I really don't think the deer trust anyone around here..they are always fearful and on the watch constantly even when in my backyard..they see me watching them through the window and one move on my part they are gone...don't know what chance this person will have to even get close enough to shoot any with a bow and arrow....

If they didn’t trust to a certain extent, they would not be there. They are wild creatures. They won’t let you get near them, but their presence at all exhibits a certain amount of trust. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Yes, I do have feelings about that. I've been vegetarian for many years and probably half the reason is for the inhumane way animals are raised and slaughtered today.

But this would not be the case here..and many of these animals are found alongside the roads because they are being pushed out of their environment more every year due to the high rate of residential areas going up. But I do kind of wonder if I'm setting them up like the animal traps they have for hunters..I'm going to have to give this some more thought..

Any hunting done by my family is well away from residential areas. i fully get not wanting to eat supermarket meat ... my husband worked in  the abattoirs for some time ... and we always go to a butcher who sources the meat for himself for at least our red meat. 

But as a hunter, one would expect him to have his favourite hunting spots already, which should more than satisfy his needs. Be careful that he's not in the business of supplying meat or selling meat to other people. Go with your gut feeling on this - you know the situation better than any of us.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

As for the cameras - they are motion activated and time/date stamp the pictures. This lets the hunter know what time of day is the best time to wait for the deer. They are usually fastened to a tree with a strap that goes around the tree. It is a simple matter to see where they are aimed to make certain one is not aimed at your house.

Also, most states have game laws that require hunters to be a minimum distance from houses/building for them to fire a gun. There are different laws for bow hunting.

In addition, there are also regulations on how many deer and when hunters can take them. He will have to register any deer he takes from your land. You would have to make sure he properly registers any deer he takes. This would prevent him from being "in the business of supplying meat or selling meat to other people." 

As for the deer - I have lived on the same land for 58 years. We have deer on our land. Next door to us is a 40 acre pecan grove. It also has deer. Behind us is 3,000 wooded acres owned by a timber company. It also has deer. Our property has not been hunted on. The pecan grove has had hunting as does the 3,000 acres. In the 58 years we have been here we have not noticed the deer favoring our property over our neighbors because our land is not hunted. The deer have not avoided the grove even though hunters have taken deer there. The deer that live in this area are wild animals and have never seen Disney movies so they do not "trust" one land owner over another. They simply go where the food is.

Now, a question .... if you had a pond/lake on your property and he made the same offer if you would let him fish, would you have the same concerns? Of course, he would not use a camera for fishing, but he would come there to take fresh fish.

I ask because there is really no difference in fishing and hunting. Both are used to gather wild meat to eat.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~