JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Who Removed God's Name?

Dear Dr. Tom "Hammer" Urabi: Who was it that first removed God's name from the Bible. Why?

Answer: It was Jack LORD, who went on to star in the original Hawaii 5-0

For career advancement. Duh.

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

DR. TOM "HAMMER" URABI ANSWERS YOUR BIBLE QUESTIONS!

Dear Dr. Urabii: Why is there both Lord and LORD in Psalm 110:1? Is there something underhanded going on, like trying to hide God's name?

Answer: Nothing to see here, people. Move along, now.

#jehovah #jehovahswitnesses #yhwh #divinename

You have been listening to Dr.Tom "Hammer" Urabi. He hammers home the answer so that you will KNOW and can IMPRESS YOUR FRIENDS!

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you ever wonder at the hardly coincidental use of the Word Baal as a title for many various Canaanite tribal gods ? “ Baal” ( meaning strong one ) or Lord and the root word for English words ( Bull , Canibal < literally priest of Baal > ) was chosen to supplant the name of the True God Jehovah.  So my answer for who removed the name of god : Baal ( or Baalzavoov< Lord of the flies>) . Many people who call upon The Lord may not know upon whom they call. 

• 4 months later...

Dear Brothers, 

Recently one of my close friend did little research on HYWH. He found lots of useful information about it but he asked me if I know anyone who can help us find out what is this piece of the evidence of? I think its in Portugese:  

26B98133-A710-4F06-8C68-D0F67E5898CE.jpeg

At archive.org they have an old catalogue of Greek Papyri in the British Museum that contains detailed information as well as the transcription (not scanned images) of that manuscript. It can be downloaded as PDF from here:

https://archive.org/download/greekpapyriinbri01brit/greekpapyriinbri01brit.pdf

The entry for that specific manuscript begins in page 83, but the lines where the name of Jehovah appears is in page 101, line 31.

On the other hand, the British Museum Library has a website with high-quality images of most of their ancient manuscripts. Papyrus 121, which can be consulted here:

http://www.bl.uk/manuscripts/Viewer.aspx?ref=papyrus_121_f001r

You need to use the buttons to advance to the second image, and the excerpt is found in the last column to the right (column 15), more or less at the middle of the column.

NOTE: This is not a Christian manuscript but a list of magical charms. A translation of that paragraph should be required to make sure it's really talking about God's name and not something entirely different.

papyrus121.jpg.56f764b9fded29feafd492735f0f3b41.jpg

Edited by carlos

13 minutes ago, carlos said:

NOTE: This is not a Christian manuscript but a list of magical charms. A translation of that paragraph should be required to make sure it's really talking about God's name and not something entirely different.

Br. Carlos, 

Thank you for this. I hoped it was Greek translaoof the Hebrew Bible. 

On 12/13/2018 at 11:16 AM, Guri said:

Do you know which Aramaic Bile books contain the YHWH? 

I'm not sure I understand the question. No book of the Bible was written in Aramaic in its entirety, only some sections of them. The Insight book says:

*** it-1 p. 1081 Hebrew Scriptures ***
For the most part, these pre-Christian Scriptures were written in Hebrew, with the following limited portions in Aramaic: Genesis 31:47; Ezra 4:8 to 6:18 and 7:12-26; Jeremiah 10:11; Daniel 2:4b to 7:28.

None of those sections in Aramaic contains the name of Jehovah, but refer to him systematically as "the God of heavens". That is quite logical since most of those scriptures are official letters writen by the pagan Persian kings, so it's unlikely they used the name Jehovah. On the other hand, Jehovah's name is used many times in the Hebrew sections of those same books.

Edited by carlos

10 minutes ago, carlos said:

I'm not sure I understand the question. No book of the Bible was written in Aramaic in its entirety, only some sections of them. The Insight book says:

None of those sections in Aramaic contains the name of Jehovah, but refer to him systematically as "the God of heavens". That is quite logical since most of those scriptures are official letters writen by the pagan Persian kings, so it's unlikely they used the name Jehovah. On the other hand, Jehovah's name is used many times in the Hebrew sections of those same books.

Br. Carlos, 

Yes, you are right, the question was worded incorrectly. Instead of the "Bible books" I should have said "the portions of the Bible". You understood my question correctly. Thank you for the reply. Is was odd to me that even though not a big portion were written in Aramaic (it was the same Alphabet as Hebrew) and did not contain the Tetragrammaton but you made here very very very good point about the "pagan Persian kings" so it is obvious that unlikely those pagan kings would have used the name Jehovah.

Well done Carlos! 

On 12/14/2018 at 1:22 PM, Guri said:

it is obvious that unlikely those pagan kings would have used the name Jehovah.

There was a related point made about the book of Esther, which doesn't contain Jehovah's name:

*** ia chap. 16 p. 138 She Acted Wisely, Bravely, and Selflessly ***
Why does the book of Esther contain no mention of God’s personal name, Jehovah?
Mordecai was evidently the inspired writer of the book. Perhaps the book was at first kept with official Persian records before it was taken to Jerusalem. The use of Jehovah’s name might have moved worshippers of the Persian gods to destroy the book.

Psalm 137 describes the Babylonians mocking the Jewish worship and their God. In view of that, I think it's very likely the Jews in exile avoided using the name of Jehovah when speaking with pagans to prevent it from being mocked or profaned. They rather referred to Jehovah as "the God of Heaven". So IMO it's very likely that Babylonian and Persian rulers didn't even know the actual name of God.

And even if they did, it's especially unlikely they used it in official documents.

Edited by carlos