JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

We were watching Wheel of Fortune .... (where you live?)

We were watching WOF tonight and, at the end, they profiled the city of Bern. They showed some impressive pictures of the city and mentioned it's age and some history.

This made me think, we have Brothers and Sisters living in Bern and work that "historic city". They work there to make a living and they work there in field service - just as we do where I live.

I guess the thought I am getting at is this ...

I live in Florida. Florida is often shown as a "vacation paradise". They show pictures of pristine beaches, nightlife and other seemingly interesting things to see and do. Only thing is, like I said, we live here. We see the area as hot, sticky (humid) and quite ordinary - filled with people just trying to make a living .... and many not-at-homes. The food is nothing special at most eateries and not all (in fact most) of the beaches are not "picturesque".

It made me wonder - how do some of these other places they show as being so "exotic", when they show them on shows like this, seem "ordinary" to those who actually live there.

In other words, what is it "really" like where you live - especially if you live in a place that is advertised as being so "special"?

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

We live Newport Oregon. Newport is a vacation destination. Outside of the homeless camps, which are mostly hidden in the forrest, I can't think of anything that takes away from our area*. All Oregon beaches are scenic. Both the Cascade Mountains and the Coast Range are packed with scenery. Going east the Willamette Vally is farm land at it's best. Central Oregon with it's high desert and Dechutes river with its gorge  is amazing. Eastern Oregon is a desert wilderness. If you want get away from people go to Rome Oregon, it is so far off the beaten path that I haven't made it there, yet. (I flew over it once and still hear "...ROME VOR....ROME VOR...") The Columbia River Gorge is a still life in action and if you happened to hit it at the right time in spring, about a two week period, it is as green as Ireland. (Cheatgrass) I am trying to think, if is there anything mundane outside of Portland City (and it is getting better,) I don't know what it is. The climate here on the coast is similar to New Zealand, a two hour through the forrest gets you to the Willamette Vally, two more hours and you are in Bend on the edge of the Oregon Desert, two hour drive east of Bendthere are herds of antelope, possibly deer, a lot of cows, no buildings for miles. Last I knew the town of Brothers was for sale. My brother in law lives outside Harper OR. The State Highway is a 1 and 1/2 lane lightly graveled State HWY, running through a land of impresive beauty.

That is all I have to say about that.

* Except for tourist traffic in the summer.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, Old said:

We live Newport Oregon. Newport is a vacation destination. Outside of the homeless camps, which are mostly hidden in the forrest, I can't think of anything that takes away from our area*. All Oregon beaches are scenic. Both the Cascade Mountains and the Coast Range are packed with scenery. Going east the Willamette Vally is farm land at it's best. Central Oregon with it's high desert and Dechutes river with its gorge  is amazing. Eastern Oregon is a desert wilderness. If you want get away from people go to Rome Oregon, it is so far off the beaten path that I haven't made it there, yet. (I flew over it once and still hear "...ROME VOR....ROME VOR...") The Columbia River Gorge is a still life in action and if you happened to hit it at the right time in spring, about a two week period, it is as green as Ireland. (Cheatgrass) I am trying to think, if is there anything mundane outside of Portland City (and it is getting better,) I don't know what it is. The climate here on the coast is similar to New Zealand, a two hour through the forrest gets you to the Willamette Vally, two more hours and you are in Bend on the edge of the Oregon Desert, two hour drive east of Bendthere are herds of antelope, possibly deer, a lot of cows, no buildings for miles. Last I knew the town of Brothers was for sale. My brother in law lives outside Harper OR. The State Highway is a 1 and 1/2 lane lightly graveled State HWY, running through a land of impresive beauty.

That is all I have to say about that.

* Except for tourist traffic in the summer.

All of that is what made me move here 14 years ago.  The move has not turned out as I'd hoped but I don't think I'd leave this area - ever (even into the New World, if possible).  Oregon is so beautiful and agreeable in climate for me.  I've only been to Newport once, a couple years ago to go to the Aquarium.  I live near and work in Portland - which is pretty cool, I think.

If you ever watch "Portlandia" on Netflix -- it's so accurate about this city, it's embarrassing.  It's also hilarious. :D  But I moved here for the weather and scenery, even though I've not seen as much of it as I'd like to.  It's magnificent  ❤️ 

I live in Melbourne ..and City as a city in this system .. pollution, some good parks, great shopping and food but still ..it's just a city.

But Victoria as a state is lovely... nice beaches, rainforests, mountains (Grampians)cliffs, animals, waterfalls and more

We enjoy summer activity as well as winter sports in winter.

National Parks are great.

Best donuts in whole Australia (no kidding)

hopetoun-falls_gor_r_supplied_credit-carolyn-hall_1150x863.jpg

Phillip-Island-Surfing-1024x767.jpg

2fc51f41c3c03bfb4ee27efd65fe9e69.jpg

Panorama1-002flog22nk.jpg

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Living in Florida we can watch the sun rise over the water and set over the water on the same day - don't think any other of the lower 48 can make this claim :shrugs:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up in new Orleans.

We always had tourists in the summer. The streetcars would be full of Europeans.

I grew up really poor so we couldn't afford the nice touristy things-- like beignets and café au lait, except as an occasional treat.

Living there was ok. But it depends a lot on neighborhood. Plus we moved while I was still in high school.

Also while we were living there, one time we had neighbors who were running a crack house. Not a pleasant experience. Fortunately, they were run out the house and, I believe, arrested.

I grew up in the Netherlands, usually depicted as the land of windmills and tulips. Not too many of either where I lived. The three roads in the "subdivision" were named "Stone Street", Mine Street", and "Carbon Street". One street was flanked by a mountain of slag, on top of which was an active railroad for the coal mine. The other side was flanked by a farmer's field and rotated from being used as a grazing area for cows and a few horses, and growing different crops (I remember tall wheat stalks).

Our are here in Ontario is basically in the center of southern ontario. Its an hour to Toronto, Hour or so to niagara falls. we can get to one of 3 border crossings with in 2 to 3 hours depending on which one we want. There are some nice provincial parks within an hours or so drive. The Grand River Conservation authority has some nice day use parks with in a half hour.  We have a great Blues fest that is happening next weekend for 3 days. Jazz fest was the week of the Rib Fest which stinks. We missed it. Biggest draw to this area is Oktoberfest. Largest oktoberfest outside of Bavaria. We never go though because its just a big get drunk and puke festival. We get people that come from all over North America Europe Asia for it. There is the African Lion Safari with in a half hour drive. Never been but it would be fun to go. 

The biggest draw for us is being a convention city. We never have to travel or stay in a hotel for it. Our Circuit Assemblies are in London. So that is nice only being an hour away.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green