JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Serena Williams Child Doesn't Do Birthdays. This Gets Interestinger and Interestinger

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2052 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

2 hours ago, Foxes53 said:

Just rellects the ugly side of sport and competition.  

........and those who wish to be involved with it.

From the watchtower study today:

Many today are concerned with seeking recognition from this wicked world. This article will discuss why we should maintain our focus on gaining the greatest form of recognition—the recognition granted by Jehovah to his faithful servants. 

Edited by Zebra555

On 9/4/2018 at 2:11 PM, carlos said:

. That woman who was raised in the Truth but is famous for her bad language and her fits of anger, finds a minute to thank Jehovah for giving her a tennis victory between drunk party and drunk party, posing nude for magazines and committing immorality with her wordly boyfriends, and we write an ode praising her, even comparing her to queen Esther who was a devout and courageus worshipper of Jehovah who risked her life to save His people

That's what I was thinking reading this thread. I saw her in the news today in that she was having a fit of rage at the ref and umpire.  She's very nationalistic, I always see her singing the anthem of the US and waving or wearing the flag. What I see is someone at the table of demons and Jehovah at the same time, with a leaning toward the table of demons.

It's sad however, I do feel a little guilty talking about her in this way in an open forum here, as I always wonder what she'd think if she joined this forum (however slim the chances with her busy lifestyle) and saw our conversations, I hope it would not be discouraging, or considered slander toward a sister. We tend to forget when someone is famous, that they still would be considered a congregation member and as such, perhaps such open talk about her on a forum, as opposed to private conversations, would be like public slander and contention? What is the difference between here, and her KH talking about her aloud infront of her, critisising about her lifesyle? As opposed to being quiet in public ("have your say in your heart" - Psalms 4:4) and respectfully letting her Elders deal with the issues.

So, if she ever does see this, I don't want what I say to come across as such, but only an expression of concern of the impression such behaviour gives off others, and to try and be "aware" of her open conduct, Bible standards, and that Jehovah does not "bless" worldly pursuits. I only say this now since I can see she at least is... trying to keep to some of Jehovah's standards, not doing certain celebrations, but being in the truth is so much more deeper than just "don't celebrate x,y and z". But if not for those little things, I would have considered her to be fully in the world, and it actually "surprised" me to learn she still does not celebrate those things today.

They were never baptized and, in view of their behavior, they are not unbaptized publishers anymore. So no, they definitely are not Jehova

Edit: Thanks for that info, I thought she was fully baptised.

Edited by EccentricM

I thought of her several times today when the Study of the Bible using the Watchtower mag was being considered at our Circuit Assembly. 

I  also saw a quick news blurb where she said that she doesn't consider herself 'done' with her career.

Her words were(paraphrased) 'I'm not done yet, I am still going up, I'm still going for more wins/trophies/ worldly fame and fortune and the ever present desire of recognition.'.('something like that.)

As for her thanking God when she wins, or scores during a hard contested match, I figure that she's no different than any other sports figure when they thank God for their victories. 

She just happens to get His name right...

1 hour ago, EccentricM said:

It's sad however, I do feel a little guilty talking about her in this way in an open forum here, as I always wonder what she'd think if she joined this forum (however slim the chances with her busy lifestyle) and saw our conversations, I hope it would not be discouraging, or considered slander toward a sister. We tend to forget when someone is famous, that they still would be considered a congregation member and as such, perhaps such open talk about her on a forum, as opposed to private conversations, would be like public slander and contention? What is the difference between here, and her KH talking about her aloud infront of her, critisising about her lifesyle? As opposed to being quiet in public ("have your say in your heart" - Psalms 4:4) and respectfully letting her Elders deal with the issues.

Well said.  Leave it to Jehovah.  

11 hours ago, EccentricM said:

It's sad however, I do feel a little guilty talking about her in this way in an open forum here, as I always wonder what she'd think if she joined this forum (however slim the chances with her busy lifestyle) and saw our conversations, I hope it would not be discouraging, or considered slander toward a sister.

That is a good point.

My only purpose with my comment was to make clear that she's not one of Jehovah's Witnesses and I see no reasons to praise her for declaring publicly that she is when she's not. Many people, brothers and sisters included, do believe she's a Witness and some are stumbled when they see the way she behaves. If it's clear that she's not one of us (for the time being, let's hope she becomes one in the future) I have no interest in turning this into a Serena-bashing discussion.

One more thing, if ever Serena becomes an unbaptized publisher again, I promise to delete this whole topic. :)

On 9/4/2018 at 10:53 AM, TrueTomHarley said:

and a frank admission to things not turning out as we expected would serve us better. Kingdom Halls are consolidating in the United States, and the explanation that we are repositioning assets to serve where there is greater demand makes perfect sense. It is a fine explanation. Nonetheless, when those Kingdom Halls were built in the first place, the intent was to fill them to the rafters, and I see no problem acknowledging that when it comes up. After all, when the churches consolidate, we say that it is because they are going belly-up.

I like the honesty Tom

I think your all right.but we must be careful what we say. at some point in time life in David ,Manasse,Peter etc ,would you believe he trusted him?  But what if a someone stumble because of the words and activities of the apostles? It would be very serious! Jesus points out, "Whoever stumbles one of these little ones who believe, it would be better if a millstone like a donkey twisted into his neck would have been thrown into the sea." I  mean we must be careful.Jesus Christ commands his followers to be "cautious as the snakes" Hmm if you know what i mean?:mellow:

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2052 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.